Donnie Darko - Back For More!

it's showing on the last day of the Leeds film Festival as well, I've got to decide between that, Alive (not the plane crash film) or Avalon which are all showing at the same time!! Any suggestions?

Originally posted by James45
Any suggestions?

Yes, Avalon, without doubt.

The choice you *think* you have is merely a perception :)

It looks incredible too.
I prefer it over something like The Matrix even though they're not really comparable films except in terms of reality twisting.
On the big screen it should make for a tasty spectacle

What is Avalon I appear to has missed this one.

Edit: Just seen the trailer and read the synopsis. How amazing does this film look.
eek2.gif

When can I have the DVD with english subtitles.

Go to www.dddhouse.com in the "Jap" section and you can have it in about a week for (I think) under a tenner.

Miramax have picked it up for Western release but it's still unsure whether they'll try to re-edit it or add a dub for the uneducated masses. I don't know why, there's not much dialogue in it anyway, it's very much a visual film more than anything.

I have found out the frogs are getting a two disk set in november, gits. How comes they get all the decent non mainstream stuff before us:mad:

I wish I'd never found out about this film now:( I really want to see it.

Yeah I'll find it again. It's a streaming job and takes for ever to load but it's worth it. I just found a Memorial 2 disk box set for $107.:eek: It's supposed to be the dogs ******** but I'm not paying that.

Link to trailer: http://www.mangazoo.jp/mztv/commercial/avalon/

that dddhouse looks like a useful site they have a few films that have past under the radar in this country like Session 9, and avalon is only US$10.87 doesn't that make it six or seven quid!?!?!:eek: :eek:
as for avalon a japanese made film, shot in Poland with Polish actors in Polish language and Japanese subtitles for the Jap cinema release!!

I wonder how many times that has happened.

Work connection's blocking your link kev "adult content" apparantly, mind you it wouldn't let me on a buffy site once cos it said it was a sex site:D :D

Originally posted by James45
Work connection's blocking your link kev "adult content" apparantly, mind you it wouldn't let me on a buffy site once cos it said it was a sex site:D :D
No adult stuff there that I saw. :confused: Must have missed it I'll go and have another look.:D Wish I knew if the Hong Kong version was anamorphic or not and what the transfer was like. Anybody got a copy?

It's not anamorphic I just found out. The Box set is supposed to be anamorphic and have both DD and DTS ES, have the most amazing picture and sound quality going. It's transferred from digital source material. Apparently Mamoru Oshii scanned the negatives of the footage he shot and manipulated the images and added the CGI in the digital realm. I wondered how it looked so good when the budget was 6 million dollars US.

I want it!, I want it! (sound of stamping feet and crying):(

I found this info page which is ok http://www.ninesisters.org/ and this review of the dvd http://www.terroraustralis.net/reviews/dvd/avalon.html

The Jap release never had any English subs on it unfortunately. That review at Terror Australis was written by a friend of mine (from my HK disc). I had to kick his ar5e when I found out he'd only watched the film on fast forward though.

For a non anamorphic transfer the PQ on the Hong Kong disc is actually very good indeed iirc

Originally posted by juboy
I wonder if Squirrel God is aware of this:

www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/djs/movielounge/tickets.shtml

Heard the review on Radio 1 as I was driving back from work last week.

Bloke described it as being like Dawson's Creek but filmed by David Lynch. That's a pretty sound description if you ask me.

Anyone who hasn't seen this film yet FOR fudge'S SAKE SEE IT NOW!!!! IT'S SUPERB!! :cool:

Dawsons Creek by David Lynch, sounds like a pretty wrong description if you ask me.

Why do people have to compare everything.....ok somes things understandable but original movies like Donnie Darko are sacred.

Still the average movie going public arent ready for Darko, they'll either be all ****ed off that they didnt get it, will be too busy looking for DODGY CGI, or will find it depressing.

I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad>>>>

>>>>>The dreams in which I'm dieing are the best I've ever had

Just saw Jonathan Ross's review on BBC1 and he loved it - film of the year material. :) Oh come on Ross, it's better than that :D

Yes, I just saw JR on Film 2002 as well, I thought well hats off you are on the button Johnny........S. God deserves a badge for championing this ages before anyone else...

Originally posted by gringottsdirect
S. God deserves a badge for championing this ages before anyone else...
:blush: Bought on a whim, changed my life :D

Originally posted by Squirrel God
:blush: Bought on a whim

On holiday were you? Probably a pirate copy, hang your head in shame:p

Originally posted by encaser
On holiday were you? Probably a pirate copy, hang your head in shame:p
As if ;) CD-WOW.. I have the receipt to prove it so there :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom