Donnie Dario. Which version?

Doctor Smith

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've pre-ordered Donnie Dario 4k blu ray.
Not watched it in ages. Loved it at the time. Which version should I watch Director s cut it theatrical?

Thanks

Theatrical Cut.

Personally, I absolutely loathe the Director's Cut.

I’ve never seen the DC either. How’s it different ?

I've pre-ordered Donnie Dario 4k blu ray.
Not watched it in ages. Loved it at the time. Which version should I watch Director s cut it theatrical?

Thanks

Is that the sequel to Donnie Darko?

sorry couldn’t resist :D

Will leave typo. Don't want to spoil thread.😁

As for the changes - here's what they are in general (Wikipedia):

Kelly made various alterations to create the director's cut. Many of the deleted scenes that had previously been included as bonus features on the film's DVD were added, which increased the runtime by twenty minutes. Kelly also superimposed text from the in-universe book The Philosophy of Time Travel, providing an explanation for some of the more ambiguous elements of the film's plot. Additionally, the sound quality was improved, digital effects were added and musical cues were changed or removed. For the opening scene, "The Killing Moon" by Echo & the Bunnymen was replaced with "Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS, which Kelly had not had the rights to use in the film's theatrical release.

As for the changes - here's what they are in general (Wikipedia):

Kelly made various alterations to create the director's cut. Many of the deleted scenes that had previously been included as bonus features on the film's DVD were added, which increased the runtime by twenty minutes. Kelly also superimposed text from the in-universe book The Philosophy of Time Travel, providing an explanation for some of the more ambiguous elements of the film's plot. Additionally, the sound quality was improved, digital effects were added and musical cues were changed or removed. For the opening scene, "The Killing Moon" by Echo & the Bunnymen was replaced with "Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS, which Kelly had not had the rights to use in the film's theatrical release.

Ok, so which in everyone’s opinion is better. I watched the theatrical cut a few times when it came out back in the day. Couldn’t tell you a thing about it now, so watching either cut would be like a fresh viewing.

Ok, so which in everyone’s opinion is better. I watched the theatrical cut a few times when it came out back in the day. Couldn’t tell you a thing about it now, so watching either cut would be like a fresh viewing.

If you've seen the TC before (even long forgotten) try the DC.

It's a bone of contention. There are arguments both ways.

Fans of the TC argue it maintains the mystery better, and doesn't spoon-feed you, leaving you with that feeling that it's as dark and elusive a psycho-sci-fi-drama as you could possibly hope for.

Fans of the DC argue it's more polished, arguably as the director intended, and the additional sequences aren't exposition, merely making the journey more accessible - which, whilst it is, doesn't mean it's freaking simple, it's still bloody convoluted.

Personally, I'd argue DC all the way. I watched the TC a lot on release, and mostly appreciated the film for mood rather than WTF was going on. Watching the DC was the only way I came close to getting a grasp on it.

I’ll def give the DC a whirl then, as I’m certain I’ve not seen it. Assuming it’s on this new 4K version, I’ve not checked or even preordered it if I’m being honest...

I’ll def give the DC a whirl then, as I’m certain I’ve not seen it. Assuming it’s on this new 4K version, I’ve not checked or even preordered it if I’m being honest...

Yes both cuts, on separate discs, both restored in native 4K with DV. Full review will be live before Monday.

Any hints, for those of us that are on the fence !?

Well what do you expect from Arrow. It's another glorious set, like Battle Royale, albeit I just get the check discs. Bucketload of finely resolved grain, loads of detail, some nice pop from the DV in a smattering of scenes, and a tonne of extras with both cuts treated with equal respect allowing fans of either to enjoy them. I'm gradually getting used to building a digital library for things like Neeson actioners and throwaway stuff I don't need on my shelf. But Arrow are constantly reminding me of just how great physical media can be.

It's mad that I don't find these price tags offensive considering what we're getting.

If they'd do this for ALL of my favourite films (and, it's hardly like DD was up there, even if something like KONY is) then I'd happily pay a premium for each and every one (and frequently do - just for the box!).

Last edited:
Well what do you expect from Arrow. It's another glorious set, like Battle Royale, albeit I just get the check discs. Bucketload of finely resolved grain, loads of detail, some nice pop from the DV in a smattering of scenes, and a tonne of extras with both cuts treated with equal respect allowing fans of either to enjoy them. I'm gradually getting used to building a digital library for things like Neeson actioners and throwaway stuff I don't need on my shelf. But Arrow are constantly reminding me of just how great physical media can be.

It's mad that I don't find these price tags offensive considering what we're getting.
Now this is the content I’m here for ! Consider me sold.
If they'd do this for ALL of my favourite films (and, it's hardly like DD was up there, even if something like KONY is) then I'd happily pay a premium for each and every one (and frequently do - just for the box!).

Yes both cuts, on separate discs, both restored in native 4K with DV. Full review will be live before Monday.
How's the TC some people are experiencing playback issues?

Interesting. I did note that. I'm not sure it was world-ending, but I found one two-second audio-drop in the DC. It's always hard because I only get test discs, so I kinda hope these kinds of problems don't make it to the final print.

Edit - Let me take a second pass at the TC.

Last edited:

Right, I gave the TC another look, having watched the DC in its entirety but only flashed TC scenes for comparison, and yes there's something odd there, only really distracting in horizontal motion, but still there. Like a fractional frame latency, despite the fact that dialogue is perfectly matched and the tempo doesn't seem off.

@barnaby jones it won't bother you on the DC but worth keeping in mind when making a purchase.

I've asked the PR about a replacement scheme for the TC disc.

Right, I gave the TC another look, having watched the DC in its entirety but only flashed TC scenes for comparison, and yes there's something odd there, only really distracting in horizontal motion, but still there. Like a fractional frame latency, despite the fact that dialogue is perfectly matched and the tempo doesn't seem off.

@barnaby jones it won't bother you on the DC but worth keeping in mind when making a purchase.

I've asked the PR about a replacement scheme for the TC disc.
A YouTube channel had the problem also. Although the disc looked fine he gave it a good wipe with micro fibre cloth which appeared to resolve the issue. Not sure how much you can believe this but it may be worth trying Thanks

If people could state what players and displays they’re using and whether the same artefact appears in HDR10 playback that’d be swell.

Full review will be live before Monday.

Can't wait to read this!

I love this movie. I bought the TC and DC separately on DVD, then the ultimate edition with both cuts from Metrodome, then the Arrow edition with both cuts. I will definitely pick up the standard release of this if the review is solid.

For what it's worth, I much prefer the DC.

I've PM Ed some YouTube channels and unfortunately we have a Charlie Chaplen, Donnie Darko crossover. Gutted

Theatrical cut is my choice. Directors cut explains too much.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom