Donnie and the Squirrel

G

Gambit

I think we should restrict the amount of DVD's Squirrel God should be allowed to buy and therefore restrict the amount of free press he gives to good films. Thanks to his shameless pushing of Donnie Darko, my order from CDWOW has been delayed two times, due to no stock. Surely this is all his fault. Thankfully, a certain Squirrel told me this was such a good film, it's worth the wait.

play have it in stock,ordered last night,despatched today.
i hope its a good as people make out.

I agree with Gambit due to the Squirrels constant recomendation of both CD-WOW and Donnie Darko my order has been delayed also. Not only that but CD-WOW constantly remind me of the fact by sending me Emails telling me what is going on. I find this unaceptable.;) :D

it will come eventually

i got 3 of those our suppliers have assured us letters

but it came last week

Never got round to ordering this and then forgot....until yesterday when a certain 50x50 sized advertisement caught my eye and then promptly ordered it from CD-Wow........

.....and now awaiting stock:D :( :D

I had three of those emails from CD-wow re Donnie Darko (and play was out of stock at the same time) but it turned up this week and was worth every second that I had to wait for it! Fantastic film! While SG may be responsible for it's popularity around here I think others have been pushing this elsewhere;)

You could always go and see it at the cinema!

Got my copy of Donnie Darko from CD-WOW yesterday, watched it last night. Class

:D

Got my copy from CD Wow yesterday, what a film. Now I have to look at the web site and watch it again with the commentary.

watched the commentary last night

it did help me understand what was going on

i think

a few questions remain that perhaps the squirrel will know

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

From what i can gather near the start just before Donnie meets Frank the world enters a tangent universe caused by some rift hole whatever

with all the people to guide him he realises its up to him to save the world

he does this by going to the mountainside road near the end of the film and wills the engine into the hole thus preventing the world from collapsing in on itself

how did he manage to pull the engine into the worm hole type thing and how did that cause the whole world to travel back in time?

there may not be an answer to these questions

and i might completely have the wrong end of the stick

any ideas??????

SPOILERS ALERT

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

A
L
E
R
T

Originally posted by bobbles
he does this by going to the mountainside road near the end of the film and wills the engine into the hole thus preventing the world from collapsing in on itself

how did he manage to pull the engine into the worm hole type thing and how did that cause the whole world to travel back in time?
I'm not so sure he did pull it in in the way you mean. It was his actions within the tangent universe that helped to pull back the primary universe which thus caused various events to take place for that to be realised. The world doesn't travel back in time in the traditional sense, think more of parallel universes (rather than worlds) - Stephen Hawking's Brief History of Time etc. Also, important to realise that each character has a specific role according to Roberta Sparrow's book (which you don't get to see in the movie, sadly). The movie has religious overtones too. You need to go through the official website. ;)

END OF SPOILERS ALERT

END

OF

SPOILERS

ALERT

sorta spoiler

although it is a brilliant film, i think it's a real shame that so much info had to be hacked from the film. Without seeing the pages within the philosophy of time travel much of the plot will pass you by. Also in the final cut there is hardly any solid reference to religion which is again important just a few fleeting remarks.
Director Kelly remarks in some of the deleted scenes that he didn't want to hit the audience over the head with the plot, but I think this is one area he misjudged, even the deleted scenes which he considered too 'heavy handed' aren't really, I think the film requires a certain amount of infomation to make any sense and even Kelly said that he must address the 'clarity issue' in his next film so he obviously feels this way to a certain degree. I know it's unlikely for a few years (until the film generates a real cult following) but I'd love to see a longer directors cut released on DVD.

Well it looks the Squirrels off the hook until he comes across his next must see movie and shamelessly plugs it to death for no charge to the film company.

CD-WOW have sent my copy today, so by their ever increasing good standards I should have it within the next 30 seconds or so.:p

James,

I know we've discussed this privately very recently, but bear in mind that Kelly had a limit on how long the movie could be and so he painfully had to make some cuts - sadly, he perhaps didn't always make the right decisions on the cut. Luckily, they let him have Donnie Darko at the 2 hours it is though - as a first director, we may have been left with a 90 min movie :eek:

BTW, you might wanna stick a spoiler warning at the start of your post as some of the stuff you've mentioned, although it doesn't give the plot away, it does kinda ruin the magic a little ;)

Kev,

Should mean you'll be watching this beauty on Monday night then :D

Originally posted by Squirrel God
Kev,

Should mean you'll be watching this beauty on Monday night then :D
With a Bit of Luck:D

No Doubt Gambit will be along shortly to tell us he got his copy from CD-WOW even before it was posted. ;) :p

I ordered mine yesterday from CD Wow so hopefully i will get it tomorrow......never heard of it before reading about it on these here forums so I hope it's as good as SG says :cool:

I got mine about a month ago.

I have already PMd Squirrel to thank him and I am happy to do it again on this thread.

I have seen it twice and will probably watch it again tomorrow night. Probably the best film I have seen since Amores Perros.

well, it should have been shipped today but no confirmational E-mail, but no worries. I think Squirrel (being one of the major investors in the company) has power to control when they send the orders out and is gettin back at me for this thread:mad: :D ;)

CD-WOW have sent my copy today

Mine too :D

I've dodged the spoiler posts, what about the website?
See the film first?

Originally posted by Spikey
I've dodged the spoiler posts, what about the website?
See the film first?
Definitely - movie first, then website. Not only are there spoilers on the website, but it will make no sense without the movie anyway.

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

ok then i think i have now got it

a rip in the forth dimension, has created a tangent universe, a vortex exists linking them

a plane has passed through this vortex and its engine has entered the tangent universe

as it landed on donnie's bed he has been chosen to return the engine back to the primary world before the tangent world collapses creating a black hole

donnie's actions such as burning the house down and flooding the school set up a chain reaction of events which led to the engine returning to the primary world

all those around without knowing it are manipulated into guiding donnie

those who die in the tangent world have special powers such as the ability to time travel and they use this to guide donnie in his quest ie frank and donnie's mrs

and everyone in the tangent universe back to the primary world they have vague memories of their dream which uneases them somewhat

For those that religiously follow Squirrel's recommendadtions, his all time second favourite fim is "The One"

I think your confusing Squirrel God Favorites with your own Ian. I know the one is your Favorite two.:D

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

a plane has passed through this vortex and its engine has entered the tangent universe
Yes, the plane is the Artifact Vessel. In the book, Roberta says that metal is the (transitional) element for the construction of Artifact Vessels.

as it landed on donnie's bed he has been chosen to return the engine back to the primary world before the tangent world collapses creating a black hole
Yes, but Roberta says:

"The Living Receiver is chosen to guide the Artifact
into position for it's journey back to the Primary Universe.

No one knows how or why a Receiver will be chosen. "

Although we might assume that Donnie is chosen by God.

all those around without knowing it are manipulated into guiding donnie
Yes, these are the Manipulated Living.

those who die in the tangent world have special powers such as the ability to time travel and they use this to guide donnie in his quest ie frank and donnie's mrs
No. No one dies in the Tangent Universe (unless they are killed or murdered etc). It's a parallel universe so people exist in both simultaneously. Thus, everyone exists in the Tangent Universe and the Primary Universe in parallel. Separate instances of the same person if you like. That is why a vortex between the two is so dangerous.

END OF SPOILER

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom