Donkey Kong Country - Tropical Freeze

Tazbot

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I know some weren't too pleased that Retro were working on this game but tbh, looking at it more in the vid below, I'm getting more enthused by it. I never played the Wii version of DK so this will probably be a day 1 purchase for me. Regarding Metroid et al, I think Retro working on DKTF is gonna really help them learn the Wii U architecture so a future Metroid would benefit IMO. I'm gonna stick my neck on the block and say that this will be better than Rayman.

E3 Hands-on: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - YouTube!

Don't you just love Retro's games :)

Last edited:
This will be far better then Rayman. The Wii version was excellent and I'm loving it all over again on the 3DS. I'm really happy Retro are doing another. Its top of my most wanted list for the Wii U this year.

I'm really looking forward to this! Loved the original on Wii and have just got the 3DS version too :)

WOW!!!

That demo looked amazing. Definitely a purchase for me.

Really can't wait for this,as has been mentioned the wii version really was fantastic and with R.S at the helm once again I can see another fantastic game from them.

Pre order this for £31.85 on shopto.net

Ive just stuck mine in (!) Release is 6th December.

This looks better than Super Mario 3D World and Sonic Lost Worlds?? :confused:

I agree with that, not really interested in the other two but this looks great.

Never properly played a Donkey Kong Country before so will reserve judgement until the reviews arrive and hopefully a playable demo. Certainly on my watch list.

I'm gonna judge that statement when it's released but agree it does look really good ATM - I'd rather compare this to Rayman Legends 'cos it's more a 2D game than 3D (although it has 3D depth added to it).

Rayman does look excellent but I reckon DKTF will better it and I hope its gameplay is top notch too. Time will tell :)

I can't post the links here (at work) but I watched a few vids on the train this morning of some brand-new DKC TF levels (some snow level, one with forest fires, a swimming level, and another set in mountains) and they look absolutely stunning! Plus it was great to hear some new tracks from David Wise. The more I see of it the more I just can't wait to get my hands on it.

Can we assume this will also be released on the 3DS?

The first one came out last year, so that's why I am wondering. Would seem odd not to continue the series but you just never know with Nintendo!

The first one came out last year, so that's why I am wondering. Would seem odd not to continue the series but you just never know with Nintendo!

The 3ds version is a port of the Wii game which is a squeal to a SNES title so they kinda are continuing the series on home consoles! :D

The Wii game was relatively easy to downsize to fit on the 3DS. I'd imagine it'd take a bit more effort to port the HD sequel.

For those considering pre-ordering this, you might want to take a look on Zavvi. It's £29.68 when you use the code PRE10.

That's a great price for a game I'm really looking forward to - thanks for the heads up :smashin:

no gamepad integration for DKTF

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze shuns Wii U GamePad display | Games industry news | MCV

apparently the GP screen is left blank whilst you play the game on a main TV but you can switch to playing the whole game on the gamepad if you need.

Mixed feelings about this, in that its great that the display doesnt need to be on as this will save battery but its not a good sign that once again the GP screen is being shunned and/or its still difficult to find a decent way to intergrate it to a game (save for zombiu).

Maybe its just the type of game that wont really benefit from a second screen so maybe its better they left it out rather than shoehorn it in.

no gamepad integration for DKTF

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze shuns Wii U GamePad display | Games industry news | MCV

apparently the GP screen is left blank whilst you play the game on a main TV but you can switch to playing the whole game on the gamepad if you need.

Mixed feelings about this, in that its great that the display doesnt need to be on as this will save battery but its not a good sign that once again the GP screen is being shunned and/or its still difficult to find a decent way to intergrate it to a game (save for zombiu).

Maybe its just the type of game that wont really benefit from a second screen so maybe its better they left it out rather than shoehorn it in.

I'm not too bothered about them leaving gamepad screen out - althought it worked to an extent with Rayman Legends, I think just having the option to switch back n forth between TV or pad for me is fine. I agree though Saf that apart from a handful of games, the pad is yet to realise its full potential.

Still looking forward to this game though as I've never played a DK game yet.

DK games are great. I hope they have not dumbed it down and made it too easy. The DKC games got incredibly tough later on as did returns on the 3DS.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom