Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Review

TJP75

I'd happily buy a WiiU just to play this. I loved DKC on the SNES and I've helped play a few levels on the 3DS version.

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
Mark's review above only paints an average picture of what is arguably a brilliant game :rolleyes:

TJP75

Do so, and if you already have one, buy another one, we need all the Wii U owners we can get.
According to a very recent episode of the GameBurst podcast, the best selling console in Germany and France was the Wii U!

It was argued on GameBurst the majority of doom and gloom stories regarding the Wii U are from the USA because that is where most of the western gaming news emanates from and the Wii U isn't performing well in that particular region versus its competition.

I don't follow console sales charts so I don't know how accurate the statement is however an internet search for 'Wii U worldwide sales' returns a lot of negative articles from North American websites!

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
According to a very recent episode of the GameBurst podcast, the best selling console in Germany and France was the Wii U!

It was argued on GameBurst the majority of doom and gloom stories regarding the Wii U are from the USA because that is where most of the western gaming news emanates from and the Wii U isn't performing well in that particular region versus its competition.

I don't follow console sales charts so I don't know how accurate the statement is however an internet search for 'Wii U worldwide sales' returns a lot of negative articles from North American websites!
Just about correct there m8. If you look between the lines as well, you'll see the Wii u isn't doing as bad as some make out. It and the 3DS are doing particularly well in Japan as is the PS4 and Vita.

sjw

Yes, spot on. It's doing really, really well. Third party developers especially love it.
Nintendo, every day, rejoice that France and Germany are going to save the console. :)
Is there a 'hands over ears' smiley? :)

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
My little boy is 5 and my daughter is 8. I think that the Wii U is pretty much the console for their age range. The little man just got this game and he absolutely loves it.

I don't know if it's just a false impression I'm under, but the XBone and the PS4 seem targeted at teens and adults and not younger kids.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
I'd agree with that, my PS4 doesn't get as much use as my wii u, and mostly it's more adult games on the ps4 (mostly involving guns of some sort). The Wii u is just bonkers nintendo games at it's core and then there's some stuff for the older gamers too, but bonkers nintendo games are great for all ages, for anyone with kids i'd have no problem with recommending the wii u over the ps4 and xbox one at the moment. As infuriating as games like donkey kong and mario can be when he jumps late there's nothing in them that would displease anyone.

Scott23

I think I must be the only player not to enjoy DK that much. The game is ok as a platformer but it just didn't grab me at all. I can see why people have really enjoyed it though.

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
I got back to this recently and bumped into boss 4 - I gave up - lost my patience :thumbsdow

I find it stupidly hard especially when the slightest hit knocks your hearts down.

Scott23

I agree - I just didn't enjoy playing it tbh. I wish Retro would go and work on a Wii U Metroid game. Surely they must know that this is what everyone is hoping for next from them!!

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
I agree - I just didn't enjoy playing it tbh. I wish Retro would go and work on a Wii U Metroid game. Surely they must know that this is what everyone is hoping for next from them!!
Think you've read between my lines - I've loved every minute of this game so far but finding boss 4 particularly difficult to beat. I just don't have the patience right now :rolleyes:

What ever Retro are working on I'm all for it, especially a new Metroid game.

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
I got back to this recently and bumped into boss 4 - I gave up - lost my patience :thumbsdow

I find it stupidly hard especially when the slightest hit knocks your hearts down.
Just wait till you get to island 6, I've been stuck on 6-5 for over a week now :eek:

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
Tried boss 4 again - same old same :mad: stupidly hard for me. I cannot get to grips with this at all. It seems like I will never complete the game :( and I don't have the patience to persevere with it :thumbsdow

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Tried boss 4 again - same old same :mad: stupidly hard for me. I cannot get to grips with this at all. It seems like I will never complete the game :( and I don't have the patience to persevere with it :thumbsdow
It took me a while to do that level, best advise is to use Dixie as she gives a speed boost with her hair, also goto funkys and get three bottles of Banana Juice and add to inventory before you start level.

Have you looked on YouTube for hints of how to do it, if not have a looksy.

Last edited:

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
Does anybody have this and the 3ds game, or at least played both? I did love the SNES game back in the day, I just wonder if this is better suited to a handheld now rather than the Wii U?

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Does anybody have this and the 3ds game, or at least played both? I did love the SNES game back in the day, I just wonder if this is better suited to a handheld now rather than the Wii U?
There is no 3DS version of this game.
The one that is available is a port of Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii.
So for that reason alone I'd get it on WiiU.

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
I realise that, the question was perhaps poorly phrased.

Are the two games different enough to sensibly justify buying both? If not, then which to choose, Wii U or 3DS?

Nezben

Distinguished Member
Yes, the games are substantially different from one another.
Out of the 2, id say Tropical Freeze is better.

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
Just cracked and downloading DKTF... another to add to the backlog! :)

Last edited:

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Just cracked and downloading DCTF... another to add to the backlog! :)
Its an awesome game you'll love it.
I've completed the main game, I'm now going through unlocking the extra levels which is a combination of getting KONG letters and finding the secret exits.

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
Been downloading for about three hours, I doubt I'll get a go tonight. Damn my rural internet, I sometimes think it would be faster to rub two sticks together. Plus an early start for an MRI scan first thing. Sigh...

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
Just cracked and downloading DCTF... another to add to the backlog! :)
Beautiful looking game - tough in some sections but probably one of the best looking and most enjoyable 2d platform games to grace any console.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett