Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (May 4th)

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. The Wii U was heavily criticised for a lack of games. The Switch is now being criticised for having too many ports. As a business, Nintendo have to answer to their shareholders. They were losing money when the Wii U was their main console, although they're a cash rich company. They are now nicely in profit with the Switch.

If they can make a good profit by releasing ports in a short time span compared to creating new titles, they must do that for the good of the company. People were saying Nintendo were doomed with the Wii U and should become a software company for both Sony/Microsoft and iOS/Android. They now have their Wii-era confidence back and for the foreseeable future, people will not be calling for them to give up the hardware. The games industry needs a buoyant Nintendo.

We will get new titles and they don't want to announce everything that's coming out for the year now when E3 is on the horizon. I think it's been smart of them to announce Metroid Prime 4, Fire Emblem and Super Smash Brothers now because it cuts out the rumours and we're getting a reasonable list of new releases with Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Tennis Aces amongst the ports. How many other companies are putting out the number of high quality releases that Nintendo are?

@Noahs Dad, I'm not singling you out here, you have the right to your opinion as much as anyone else. I'm just trying to give some business perspective. I hope during the year we see some announcements and releases that make you happy. I will be as happy as you when we get further announcements of new, first-party titles.

@DJNomad I agree with you, and I agree with @Qactuar and others who say similar about the finances, and sales figures etc. The Switch and the game titles are an absolute commercial success. Can't argue with that aspect. Still entitled to raise an eyebrow though and voice disappointment at the growing number of ports, and many years of gap since some games last had a proper new game. How old is MK8 now? It feels like it must be 5 or 6 years. It does not matter how much profit or impressive sales Nintendo notch up, I will always be disappointed that so many years pass without a new game.

One good thing is, Sega (or what is left of it) might be watching all this port culture in video gaming, and thinking if they can outsource a new Sega Console to be developed all they have to do is start updating and modernising the old classics and they are back in the console game.

Some might say I am mad, but I am gonna call it now, a new Sega console within 3 years, stranger things have happened!

@DJNomad I agree with you, and I agree with @Qactuar and others who say similar about the finances, and sales figures etc. The Switch and the game titles are an absolute commercial success. Can't argue with that aspect. Still entitled to raise an eyebrow though and voice disappointment at the growing number of ports, and many years of gap since some games last had a proper new game. How old is MK8 now? It feels like it must be 5 or 6 years. It does not matter how much profit or impressive sales Nintendo notch up, I will always be disappointed that so many years pass without a new game.

One good thing is, Sega (or what is left of it) might be watching all this port culture in video gaming, and thinking if they can outsource a new Sega Console to be developed all they have to do is start updating and modernising the old classics and they are back in the console game.

Some might say I am mad, but I am gonna call it now, a new Sega console within 3 years, stranger things have happened!

Apparently Sumo games are working on a new carting game for the Switch. Hopefully that will freshen things up a bit!

Age is of no real concern. Look at World of Warcraft

Nintendo don't tend to do multiple games of the same series in a single generation, though Ocarina and Majoras Mask are an exception.

I won't be surprised if we don't see anything new on some franchises that get ported, but you're mostly voicing disappointment at first party games - plenty of third party games are new to Switch too.

Talking Sega and a new console.

https://spartanconsole.com
Love the comment on the photos bit in news from a "digital marketing entrepreneur", it's a huge comment with no punctuation. I think someone needs to learn how to use punctuation if he wants to do marketing like that [emoji23]. Not really sure Sega will want back in with how it's going at the moment and Xbox struggling. Do we really need a 4th console where the exclusives are Sega titles? They really don't produce the quality they used, personally I'd be very happy for them to take on a mini console, yes I know those things suck but her me out on this one.

If they were to produce a half decent box for under £100-£150 in a small form factor (could be a mega drive or Dreamcast mini), but get the thing online with a store front of all their classics including arcade titles at reasonable prices and add in some media players I would be very very tempted to pick one up. They could even sell all their classic controllers as add ons for those after authentic gaming from particular consoles. The Nintendo efforts have proven how popular this is at the moment but the Sega versions just never hold up, hell work with sony, ms or Nvidia as well to get remote play working from another console as a bonus selling point.

Mario Kart * d is barely different at all from MK8, I agree. I was a Wii U owner and yet I double dipped. We now have MK Fridays at work, there are 2 switches and 4 players. Cannot do that on a Wii U !! I reckon if one of the others stopped being mean and bought a Switch we could easily get 6 players going.

It was painful buying MK8D, but it is getting used. I just need to sell some of the old games now to make some space and get some cash for new games.

I loved Mario maker, always said it would be released on Switch because of how great it was. And I am a sucker for Smash Bros even if it isnt much different from the last few. I bet we will end up playing that in the office too !!

£34.99 currently if you order to click and collect from Smyths Toy Store

I’ve paid the full £49.99 from eshop, strange downloading the game and seeing it on my dash but unable to play it. Looking forward to getting reacquainted with DKC again when it’s launched.

Well it has been removed from the Wii U's eShop, so the only way you can get it now is on Switch.

I want to get it but want to have it digitally, and it's £15 more expensive to download it than to get it on a cartridge...

I got Mario Odyssey from Amazon as a download code, I wonder if they are doing the same for DKC and I can avail of their £5 off for using the Assistant workaround...?

Well it has been removed from the Wii U's eShop, so the only way you can get it now is on Switch.

I want to get it but want to have it digitally, and it's £15 more expensive to download it than to get it on a cartridge...

I got Mario Odyssey from Amazon as a download code, I wonder if they are doing the same for DKC and I can avail of their £5 off for using the Assistant workaround...?
It's still there in Europe. £19.99.

I’ve already got it and completed on WiiU so not sure if I can justify getting it again even though it is rather brilliant.
If I do I could trade in Splatoon 2 and get it for £19.99.
IMG_0978.JPG

Couldn't disagree more. DKTF is one of my favourite games... ever!

Each to their own though.

I will second that, absolutely loved DKTF.
Yeah some levels are hard but IMO that’s no different to DKC on the Snes.
I never complained, I just worked it out and got on with it.
Excellent game, well worth having.

I will second that, absolutely loved DKTF.
Yeah some levels are hard but IMO that’s no different to DKC on the Snes.
I never complained, I just worked it out and got on with it.
Excellent game, well worth having.

I'll third that, clearly the reviewer hasn't been brought up on a diet of Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Monty Mole and so on lol.

Yes it's difficult, yes it can be frustrating at times, but like you say stick with it, work on your strategy and it'll reward you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom