Donjay's Living Room Setup Panny 50"

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by donjayok, Mar 16, 2010.

1. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hey Guys,

Following on from my previous thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/members-home-cinema-gallery/1079536-donjays-living-room-setup.html (which I cant reply to), I have finally managed to get things moving again.

The third (yes 3rd! other 2 were damaged) living room suite is being delivered to the SCS warehouse on the 31st March, deliver to my house will porbably be 5th April, so i have started to prepare for that.

I have lifted the wooden flooring and taken the Panny off the wall and cut out a hole for the Plasma on the opposite wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I soon realised that the left hand joist wasnt flush with the other 2 which wouldnt let the bracket go on straight :eek: I am not sure how to get around this other than shave off enough to let it be flush. I am going to speak about it to a Joiner hopefully tomorrow. The other problem is that I wanted to put inwall surround sound speakers in, but the centre one is going to be a problem given the location of the wooden joists. Nothing is ever straight forward is it? :facepalm:

[​IMG]

Anyway, I managed to get the bracket into the whole but its not secured or even straight!

[​IMG]

I have made a thread in the speakers section as I havent yet bought the speakers for this room, so any suggestions would be greatfully recieved. I thought as I wanted inwall speakers that these would be good? KEF CI130.2FR/S SPEAKER (SINGLE) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/5887 for details

Has anybody had experience of them?

Anyway, I will update as soon as I have progress! :D

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ok some slight progress. I have just cut out the plasterboard on the wall to reveal whats behind it. It is a load bearing wall apparently and I need to get rid of the 3 batons in the middle of the wall, so I can get a centre speaker in the wall.

[​IMG]

I have decided not to go with the round inwall speakers, but I still havent decided what other ones I will buy yet, but i still want them in the wall. As long as I can get the wires routed I can worry about that later.

You can barely see the green pens marks of where approx. that TV and bracket will be.

[​IMG]

The next thing to do is baton the wall differently to accomdate the centre speaker. I have drawn on the pic below what it should look like. Can someone tell me if my plans are correct....

Take out the wood that goes across the way each side of the 3 batons one by one and double baton (one behind the other) from top to bottom of the frame. Then cut out the 3 batons and replace with 4 batons across the way.

[​IMG]

Hopefully I have explained it ok! If someone could advise if this is correct and safe enough to do, I would really appreciate it. :smashin:

Once I have that sorted, I will mount the TV and route the cables and I will start designing a kind of floating wall so I can get the plasma flush.

3. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Looks a little odd for a load bearing wall, but if it is then maybe you need to get some permission or at least advice on what you can do where.

4. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry for the slow updates, just not had time this past while. Anyway, heres the way the wall looked like this morning.

[​IMG]

The first thing I did was to shave off some more plasterboard on the right hand side. I cut it back until there was half of the baton showing so I can screw plasterboard back on.

I then made the right hand baton by spiking to bits of wood together. I had to make cuts outs, which can be seen in the next pic, to allow the electrical cables past.

I was lucky with the left hand side as the baton that was already there was in the perfect position, so it was just a case of spiking another bit of wood to it.

I then cut the original batons to allow the lintel space to get in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the lintel was put into place. It was a tight fit, but after about 20 mins of trying different things it was in place.

[​IMG]

I then removed the rest of the original batons.

[​IMG]

So thats where im up to and Im absolutely knackered! Not used to this hard labour! :D

I should get the horizontal bits of wood on tomorrow and the tv mounted hopefully although it is easter sunday. :devil:

I am seriously thinking of buying KEF2005.3 5.1s, not 100% sure if I can build them into the wall though. But i will buy some sort of speakers this week.

The carpet is has arrived at the shop and our new suite is being delivered on Monday.

Lots to do, so little time :facepalm:

5. dan_oglesby30

dan_oglesby30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not sure if it helps mate but some brackets have adjustable hooks.

I.E the bit that goes on the back of the TV can be adjusted up and down so technically you would be able to compensate for the bracket (aslong as its not serverely pis*ed)

6. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Firstly Dan, Thanks for your info, but there is no adjustments whatsoever on the bracket or on the TV. Anyway, It doesnt really matter now as I have demolished the wall! :D

Ok, heres what I got done today...

I chipped away at the plasterboard on left hand side of the wall, to make it easier when the new stuff goes up. I then secured the horizontal batons in place for the bracket. I suppose it will give the vertical batons support as well. Probably didnt need them, but I put in L shaped brackets for extra support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next was to get the TV off the other wall

[​IMG]

Then the TV was mounted!

[​IMG]

The joinery malarky is so easy! :D

[​IMG]

The next thing I was planning on doing was to get the 4 coaxial cables to the other side of the room. However, I soon discovered that only the ones from the loft were long enough. The 2 directly from the sky dish will have to be extended or new ones made up. As i cant see me getting up to the sky dish, I guess I will be extending it . Is there a risk of degrading the signal if I extend it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, the hatch is already been cut earlier in the week, so I am good to go when I get the cables sorted, hopefully tomorrow. Bu then we will have our new suite! :eek:

[​IMG]

Still loads to do, including ordering 5.1 speakers, sub and an amp! :facepalm:

7. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ok, a few more things done today...

I managed to run the cable for the sky etc to the other side of the room. I had to extend the 2 cables from the sky dish as they werent long enough. I had to drill away a bit of the floor to get past a joist as you can see.

[​IMG]

I used a metal coat hanger, a battery and brown tape the route the cables. When Im finished with it, I will sell to the highest bidder. (Battery not included!) :devil: :D

[​IMG]

4 cables to route. Got the first 3 through pretty much with no hassle. The last one was a real cu.. :censored: I better stop there! ;) You know when you start something and you get to a point where you wish you had never started it?....Well I was at that point! :facepalm:

Anyway, eventually success...

[​IMG]

And without 2 to much trouble sky was working...oooh Cheryl :p

[​IMG]

Just so you dont think I always have Cheryl on (if you read my previous thread) then heres something else. Sorry about the quality its taken on my N95...

[​IMG]

So what else happened today. Well the 3rd suite arrived! And its not damaged! :clap: Well done to SCS its only taken just over a year and 3 suites to get a perfect transaction! The 3 seater is a powered recliner and its very comfy indeed, way better than the last one anyway.

[​IMG]

Oh forgot to mention, I got my speakers ordered today! :clap: I almost had my heart set on the KEF2005.3s, but a work collegue showed me the KEF8005sound bar system and I fell in love with it right away. KEF Home Cinema, Surround Sound Systems - KEF Home Theatre

The only problem was the price and to convince the wife. Well the wife didnt need much persuading as she liked the sound bar system better than the 2005.3s. I think it had something to do with only 3 holes in the wall rather than 5! :D

When I checked the price at work the cheapest was £995. But when I was showing the wife about 2 hours later, the lowest price was £825 from smart automations. A few minutes later and the system was bought.

I still need an amp and speaker wire, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

I should be making a start on the floating wall tomorrow after work, so i may have an update tomorrow. Cheers for now! :smashin:

8. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ok peeps, got a bit done over the last couple of days. Firstly had to run the speaker wire under the floor so I did that first. Got to mention, I ordered the speaker wire from UKHDMI on Thursday 1pm and it was delivered at 8.30am on Friday morning, excellent service.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Floating wall almost complete, just a few more bits to put up tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am planning on putting the rears in the wall, so I have marked out roughly where I am putting them. Not sure exactly the best place to mount them would be, but the pen line is parallel to halfway between where the edge of the TV is now and the edge of the wall opposite. I might put them wider than the suite though. Any suggestions welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was doing all that, my 3 year old was having fun in the bathroom. Looks like he was doing some target practice :facepalm:

[​IMG]

I am on holiday this week, so hopefully this project will move alot quicker. Speakers should arrive very soon and av reciever by the middle of the week. I will start plasterboarding once all the wood is on. The sparky is coming to move plugs and the light switch tomorrow. Then I will need to get the plasterer booked. Carpet is ready to be fitted as soon as we want it.

9. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    So, here we go again. Before I started working on my project today, I got a delivery! :thumbsup: It was my KEF sound bar system, so heres the pics..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like the look of them and I cant wait to get them working now!

The sparky turned up tonight, he moved a light switch, although Im not convinced about the housing he put round it, it sticks out of the wall quite abit. He said it would be to difficult to put it on the front part of the wall. :(

[​IMG]

He also moved a double plug and the phone line to nearer the centre of the wall. Hes coming back tomorrow to fit another 2 double plugs and 3 spot lights and a double dimmer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then started on the rear speakers. I cut out the plasterboard, then used a metal coathanger to pull the speaker cable up the wall. I dont know what happen with the not so straight line! :eek: :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then made a C shaped bracket to house the speaker and nailed it onto the baton that you can see. I then plasterboarded it back up.

[​IMG]

And here it is with the speaker in it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So thats where I am up to tonight.

Tomorrow, I will do the other rear speaker and finish off the floating wall ready for the sparky. Then I will get it boarded up if I have time.

Only need my av reciever to come now to complete the shopping list. :clap:

10. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,113
    Looks good mate, when the amp arrives and your hooked up, give me a shout and I'll come round for a demo, see what the kefs sound like!

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Is it ok to recess the speaker like that?

12. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Stevie - Will do. I could invite you for your tea as well, but unless the wife is here it will be beans on toast! :D

DRB - I cant see why not. If it affects the sound in any way, I can always fill in the hole at a later date.

Didnt really get done much today, the babysitter wasnt well, so I had to look after my 3 year old. However, The sparky returned to fit the rest of the double plugs, I helped him a bit by cutting out the plasterboard and mounting it. He also routed the wire for the 3 spot lights that are going at the top of the floating wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should get plaster boarding tomorrow after I get the other rear speaker fitted into the wall. I have been looking at acoustic insulation, but its blooming expensive! :( So not sure if I will put that kind of insulation in.

Sparky is coming back on Thursday to get the spotters fitted after its boarded.

13. bluenose24

bluenose24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    doing great matey!!!!! I bet you will have a pj in there in no time! i loved the bathroom decor reminded me of my youth would never do that now tho :devil:
    what amp did you go for in the end?

cheers
    nev
    :thumbsup:

14. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Nev, I went for the Onkyo 607 amp.

The bathroom decor was like that when we moved in just over 2 years ago. I guess now that I have got my big TV and speakers, the wife will want the bathroom and en suite done next! :rolleyes:

I dont think I willl put a projector in the living room, but I have a garage that we converted into a playroom for our 2 kids, which would be a perfect room for a projector. I have thought about it for when the kids are a bit older (and when I can afford it!), the wife just doesnt know about it yet! :devil: :D

15. bluenose24

bluenose24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    looks like they have made a start on the decor for ya then in the bathroom!!! I had the 607 before swapping for my current 867 great amp will do the biz for you for some time till you upgradeyitus kicks in :devil:
    just tell the kids ur using there pocket money hahahahaha for the garage conversion lols they will think its cool when they are older except you wont be able to get in YOU'RE cinema room when ya wont !!!

cheers
    nev
    :thumbsup:

16. ted34

ted34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Did your sparky make your light switch flush or has he left it with an external box? They are easy to sink in and he should have done it for you. You can buy special drills and and a square surround that chisels in after or I just used the cheaper chiesel for mine. Important thing is to have an SDS drill where you can turn the rotation off and just use the hammer action. As its only a single socket for you Id just use a masonary chisel and a hammer.

17. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Heres a picture of it...

[​IMG]

I think I know what you mean re the square surround and SDS drill, I just remember him saying it would be to difficult to mount it on the other wall, although everytime I look at it its annoying me more and more. He is returning tonight to fit 3 spotters to the floating wall and then fit a double dimmer to that switch, so I will see what he says about it. Another thing is, I wont get the plasterbaord behind it when it comes to fitting it as theres not enough space. Heres the dimmers and lights...

[​IMG]

On another note, if anybody is looking for a double dimmer, whatever you do dont buy it from B&Q, its £36! I took mine back after I saw it in Wickes for £10! :thumbsup:

Thanks Ted :smashin:

18. curvature

curvature

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Typical lazy tradesman! That box for the light switch was just to save hime time!

19. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The sparky returned today and got the last 2 plug sockets connected up and working. He said the dimmer I got from wickes wasnt suitable for the spot lights in the floating wall as there will be 6 x 50 Watt spotlights already going to the switch, so he is going to get me one tomorrow and fit the lights then. He said he would also move the switch from where it is.

I cracked on with creating a hole in the wall for the other speaker. So heres the pics...

Firstly marked and cut out
    [​IMG]

Then the good old metal coathanger trick to get the speaker cable
    [​IMG]

I made up the sides of the hole as its would be pretty tricky trying to screw the plasterboard on when its in place
    [​IMG]

This was followed by mistake! As you can see from the next pic I havent fitted the top bit of plasterboard, but already started boarding it back up! :facepalm:
    [​IMG]

After making an adjustment It was almost finished. The top right bit of plasterboard isnt screwed on as it wanted to go off at an angle when I tried to screw it on. I was getting tired by then, so its a job for tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

And heres a view from further back
    [​IMG]

Once thats sorted, I should be starting to board up the floating wall. :clap:

20. Linx08

Linx08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Looks good so far, I look forward to seeing the finished product and see what you think of the kef's?

Keep up the great work. :thumbsup:

21. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Linx08. :smashin:

The amp arrived yesterday, but I havent even had a chance yet to take it out of the box.

[​IMG]

The sparky finished yesterday, so there is now spotlights as you can see. They are tiltable which I might do because I am not that impressed by them at the moment. The wife has said she wants to wallpaper the wall, :rolleyes: Im not so sure.

[​IMG]

I started to board the whole thing up yesterday and discovered there were a few things not right. Although the spirit level was bang on everytime, I had to cut the plasterboard at angles in order to get them to fit properly. :facepalm:

I couldnt work out if the wall was off or whether it was me that had done something wrong. I really felt like ripping it down and starting again (actually it was more like giving up! :(). However, I called my joiner m8 and he came this morning to help. After he made a few adjustments it was spot on. He told that although the spirit level was reading level, its only level the length of the spirit level :rolleyes: Lesson learned :lesson: He also said it was a good effort considering im not in the trade, :p: well that cheered me up no end! :clap:

So I cracked on today and sheeted the sides then unfortunately the football started and that was end of the work! :D So here where I am up to.

[​IMG]

A plasterer is coming to give me a price and view my handy work tomorrow :eek: I also need to add another few bits of wood to support the plasterboard, then get the rest of it done.

I also need get a couple of CAT5 cables from the kids playroom (the room on the left of the last pic) through the kitchen cupboard and out through the brush plate. One is for the PS3 and an extra one. I know I can use the wireless for the PS3, but Id rather go wired.

The wire at the floor on the left hand side is the RCA cable for the sub I need to route that properly and a power cable as well.

So hopefully the end will be in sight! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  22. Linx08

Linx08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Hey don't knock yourself Don, what you've done is bloody good work considering you don't do this for a living!!:thumbsup:
    One thing don't know if it appeals? The three lights above the TV you could get some Perspex power sand one side of it and then stick it over the lights (sanded side facing in) this will give you a diffused light and create a different effect. I'm sure you have your own decoration advise (read wife):eek:
    I used to do car audio for many years and it was always a good way of lighting up stuff in car boots:smashin:

Anyway, enough of my memory lane. Good luck and looking forward to seeing the next photos :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Linx

23. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,961
    Hey Don,

This looks really good so far, you must be pleased with what you have achieved! I am getting ideas for the extension when I eventually get to fit it out next year :rolleyes:

Don't be too worried about the idea of papering the wall. Wallpaper is definitely coming back into fashion and you can make a real statement with a bold pattern to make a feature wall. The fact that the TV etc is against that wall should help to dilute it a bit too. The only problem is when you change your mind sometime in the future you have to either strip it/paper over it or paint over it. It depends on whether your mrs has a particular pattern in mind already, and if that is why you are worried :D

Good luck with the final push, it looks like the end results should be great!

Cheers.

24. JohnV

JohnV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Could you tell me where you got the faceplates from in post # 6 that have the brush style gromet. I've been looking for something exactly like that.

25. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,961
    You can get these really easily, stick "brush faceplate" into your search engine and you should get plenty of results. Mark Grant sells them, and should be good quality of his cables are anything to go by. I don't remember where I got mine from, it was about 2 years ago...

Hope this helps :)

26. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the comments guys :smashin:

JohnV - I actually got that one off a mate. But as Sanders says you should get loads of them online.

Sanders - Dont worry papering walls is not my forte. Mind you, neither is building floating walls! :D A relative is due me a favour after he got my wooden flooring for free, so he is getting told to do it.....hes a big lad, so the wife will tell him :rotfl:

Anyway, Its not the fact the wall is being papered I'm worried about. Its the wallpaper itself that the other half will choose that bothers me! :rotfl:

Good luck with your build when you get round to it. :thumbsup:

Linx08 - Yeah, on Friday all I was thinking was why the heck did I start it and I did feel like ripping it down. :( But after my m8 made a few adjustments on Saturday and the comments he made about it, I was back to enjoying the project again. Still a bit to go yet, but I think I can see the light! :cool:

Im back to work today, so its back to just working on it at nights and have it ready for plastering on Saturday morning.

Interesting idea re the perspex, never thought about doing that. I am curious to see what effect it would actually make so will give it a go. I think I should have bought 5 lights and that would have filled the whole space, although the left and right lights are adjustable sideways as I installed them differently to the middle one.

27. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,961
    Hmm, I did suspect as much :) I haven't done wallpapering myself in years, am starting to get tempted after seeing what some friends have done on chimney breasts etc to make really nice features.

Have recently finished my first foray into proper AV installations - check out the thread in my sig, it's feeling all lonely :rolleyes:

Don't give up! There have been times with so many projects I have done, most notably the first kitchen I ever installed, when I've thought exactly the same. The end results are worth it and the satisfaction of knowing you did it all yourself is great! What you have done so far is really good, so no reason to expect it to suddenly all go wrong.

Just out of curiosity, why did you go for spot lights behind perspex rather than a strip light/rope light etc? One of those options might have given a more even light, but I will be happy to eat my words and for you to say "told you so" if it works out how you want.

28. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

No way Im giving up now Sanders. :thumbsup: Im sure most novice DIYers have been there just about giving up....havent they? :(....ok just me then! :D

I havent done the perspex bit yet, Linx08 suggested I try it, so I will give it a go. I am also thinking about putting some sort of light around the plasma as well, but I might do that in the future.

I will check out your thread later, time to leave work!

29. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Updates!

I routed the power and RCA cable for the subwoofer. Not sure if I will bring the cables through the skirting or up through the floor then carpet yet. Will decide later.

[​IMG]

Also routed a couple of CAT6 cables through from the playroom, where the router is, to the living room. As you can see from the picture, I measured the length from the kitchen door to the brush plate in the living room, then in the cupboard and still managed to get it wrong! :facepalm: So had to cut out a second hole.

[​IMG]

Cables through to the living room

[​IMG]

However, worst was to come when I was cutting the hole from the cupboard to the playroom. I managed to get through easy enough using a stanley knife, screwdriver and hammer, but the hole wasnt big enough, so I decided to drill through it. Guess what I did! :facepalm: Drilled through the phone cable! :suicide:

[​IMG]

However, It didnt turn out to bad as there was a bit of slack on the cable so I just pulled some more through, cut the end off and stripped the wires and screwed them onto the plate. I had to chase out some of the wall to get the damaged cable out and the fixed cable in. The plasterer is coming on Saturday so no big deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was to sort out the anchor bolts in the wall where the plasma was. I was going to make even more mess of the wall if I tried to get them out towards me, so i just hit them through the wall and the plasterer will fill in the holes on Saturday morning.

[​IMG]

The last thing I have done is put a few more bits of wood in, so they can support the plasterboard at the top and bottom of the holes.

[​IMG]

And also for around the plasma

[​IMG]

So thats where I am up to. Tomorrow will be full steam ahead with the plasterboard after work. Then if I get that finished I should get the metal edging fixed to the plasterboard on Friday, ready for the plasterer on Saturday. :clap:

30. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,961
    Now that you have broken cover and started posting in other people's threads, can we expect some new pictures and updates soon? :hiya: