1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donjay's Garage Cinema Room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by donjayok, Jan 12, 2018.

1. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Guys,

Been very much a watcher on this forum since I joined years ago, seen a lot a great builds and been inspired by many members ideas, but have never done my own.

The room was originally a garage, it is almost empty and still magnolia! We converted it into a playroom for the kids. They have now grown up, so spend most of the time in their own rooms on their consoles. Hence the cinema go ahead!

I have had a play with sketch up of the basic shape (5.08m x 2.62m), but not went any further as I haven't really decided on anything definite yet. So thought I would post here for more ideas and advice.

- I was considering the Benq W2000 projector, but the recommended distance for a 100 inch image is about 2.9 metres. I would like, if possible, one that could be mounted above the window, which would mean it would have to project from just under 5m. Does anyone know of a projector that would do this? - Will be used for sky TV, films but mostly PS4 gaming. Not bothered about 3D or 4k.

- Going for 5.1.2 Atmos setup. I need to buy amp and all speakers. Would prefer floor standing speakers or at least front speakers that could hang on the wall at each side of the screen. Not sure about the rears as the door is in the worst possible position!... Recommendations for mid range amp and speakers welcome!

- Was thinking about building a soffit - MDF or plasterboard?...May get someone to build this for me, but this would hold the rear atmos speakers, down lighters for pictures (movie adverts) that I am putting on the wall.

- Lighting - Thinking also about LED strip lighting around the soffit and also around skirting boards, so I can place the strips in the boards. However, I cant work out what I need for e.g. controllers, amplifiers, Any advice on what I would need and where to buy them would be great!

Many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. adam-burnley

adam-burnley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,607
    Hi @donjayok, your room is almost identical to mine! I am in the middle of sound proofing so have a look at my build thread (in my signature) if you haven't already.

I'll also be building a soffit, and will make it out of MDF. The main reason for this is so that I can have removable panels should I ever need to change or run new cables.

Good luck, and will be interested to see how you get on!

3. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Adam, Cant believe how similiar our rooms are! :D

Will definitely be checking out your thread to see how you are getting on, particularly the soffit! :cool:

Thats a good reason for using MDF :smashin: