1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dongles

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by baldbird, Jul 17, 2003.

1. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I know that dongles can be used to connect wirelessly, but am i right in thinking there are lots of different dongles for various puropses ..... :confused:

I may just be a bit dull, but can't really get much info on the net - anyone wanna fill me in ?

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some dongles are for copy protection, usually bundled with expensive software (CAD etc)

The software will not work without the dongle. In the dongle there usually is a PCB with a couple of IC's, and when the software starts up, checks for the existance of the dongle; and also the code on the chips. Normally plugged into the serial port.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    You can buy dongles and program them yourself to do whatever you want. We used to buy them in bulk at work to protect our software.

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... An example might be that the dongle can generate output values for a given input value, or you could maybe embed a certain vital program function within the dongle. You could also use the dongle to make decisions within the program logic. Basically, it is possible to do it in such a way as to make it very very hard or virtually impossible to take the dongle "out" again by just bypassing a simple"is the dongle connected?" type program branch.

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ATi's component adaptor is a dongle.

MuFu.

6. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info so far, but......

Anyone know's if there's such a thing as a dongle that converts and ide hard drive into a serial ata ????????

:confused:

7. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think a company called 'acard' do hard disk adapters. They certainly make IDE to SCSI adapters (allowing you a cheap SCSI disk from an IDE drive) and I think they do a parallel to serial ATA convertor as well.

Look at www.acard.com for details
    John

8. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers John

9. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member