1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donegal Ireland [PICS]

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by geofftelforduk, Jul 24, 2005.

1. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Hi guys, just back from a beautiful weekend in Donegal!

Took some nice pics. Here is selection of some of them! Let me know what you think of composition etc (apart from the seagul shot which was totally point and shoot).

PS. Any Photoshop tips to make a seriously over exposed shot look semi normal!?!?

Pic1
    Pic2
    Pic3
    Pic4
    Pic5
    Pic6

WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE, AND WHY???

Thanks!

2. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Auto Levels" is always a good starting point.

3. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Pic 3 is the best, followed by the seagull shot. The composition is good and you have used differential focus to make the flowers and lichen covered rock stand out.

Bill

4. shardsta

shardsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I agree, liked pic 3 the best nice composition and colours. Sunglasses was a nice idea but too busy with the "picnic mat thing" going on (in my opinion of course :).

Simon

5. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Yeah 3 is by far the best. In terms of how to correct over exposure I would have to disagree with DJW. Yes Auto Levels can sometimes help but it also more often then not produces inferior results compared to other methods.

So how can you correct for over exposure?

1. Well the best thing is to not over expose in the first place so read up on how to use the metering system of your camera and also read up on how to dial in exposure compensation.

2. Shoot in RAW. With RAW you can correct exposure by around 2 stops, however if you have seriously blown the highlights i.e. they werent even recorded on the sensor there is absolutely nothing you can do to get them back.

3. Use layers. In Photoshop duplicate the background layer of your photo and set the blend mode of the duplicate layer to Multiply. This will 'correct' the exposure by effectively doubling up the image over the top of itself, i.e. making it darker. If this is too much than simply adjust the opacity of the duplicate layer until it looks okay. If its still over exposed duplicate the layer again and again set it to multiply.

Ultimately though you really want to avoid over exposure in the first place, many photographers permanently have dialled in 1/3rd stop under of exposure compensation to make sure they dont over expose as under exposure is much easier to correct than over exposure.

HTH

6. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll go along with that.

Have you deliberately just linked to your pictures? If you use the 'insert image' icon to the left of the 'insert hyperlink' - they will display here in the thread ..and I won't have 7 windows open :)