Done with Hive heating - options to replace?

nictry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have had Hive for 8-9 years and of those 3 years in new house with two heating zones (top floor and combined middle/ground floor)

recently the thermostat on downstairs zone kept losing connectivity with receiver by boiler (I don’t do anything it just reconnects by i - top floor was fine thermostat to single channel receiver by tank

after spending hours with tech chat the same thing kept happening and then the top floor also started losing connection so I bit the bullet and bought a replacement hive system (thermostat and receiver) and replaced the downstairs thermostat and receiver as it’s fairly plug and play and reconnected with the help of tech chat again

well a week later and both randomly disconnecting and reconnecting

there are no changes to anything else in the vicinity, no new WiFi, no new equipment, no change in broadband or router etc that might effect the hub and no moving of thermostat and receiver etc which are less than a meter from each other

so given I have had enough now I want to change the hive system for a more robust and non technical solution and wondered if anyone could recommend a brand/kit that would offer the two zone heating (with hot water) to replace it all?

thanks in advance

I’ve not heard them being mentioned much on here before, which is odd because they are extremely common, but we have had Heatmiser for two years now, controlling a multiple UFH zones and rads. They have been absolutely brilliant. They are very simple to use, simple non-nonsense design, very reasonably priced and HomeKit/Alexa compatible if needed. I highly recommend them.

I had Drayton Wiser installed around two months ago and so far can't fault it. We had two heating zones that were then made in to one by the heating engineer, have added 13 TRV's and not looked back. The app is easy to use and will definitely save us money in the long run.

Have been using Drayton Wiser for around 2 years. Have 11 radiators, controlling 8 with TRVs. Decent price and works pretty well. Have played around with Alexa integration but don't use it much. Geolocation functionality is only available via IFTTT. But not something I need.

Another vote for Drayton Wiser now in month 14 and no real issues, I’ve a single zone stat, HW cylinder and 8 x trvs. Only real complaint is some trvs chew threw batteries but overall it’s worth it for the savings/controllability.

Another thing to try if applicable. Change the wifi channels on your router (neighbour may have added new kit that interferes).
Also if you have Hue bulbs and bridge, try changing the zigbee channel.

Might work and save you any expense.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom