Done the Wire and Sopranos..What next?

skymonkey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Over the last year I have gone through the box sets of both the Sopranos and the Wire. Both were amazing but now I'm stuck for what to watch next.
I have tried deadwood but never really clicked with me. I am considering The Shield but has anyone else watched this and how does it compare with the wire. Some of the reviews I've read make it sound very much like 24.
I can't stand 24, lost, heroes, prison break etc so just looking for some of the same quality as Sopranos and the Wire.

Any ideas?

The Shield is great, I would say it was closer to The Wire than 24.

Have you tried The West Wing?

Lighten up: Arrested Development :smashin:

You be havin' some Wire Boxsets for sale soon ? :)

Mike.

like comedy? entourage?

Deadwood is worth sticking with.

Rome is also excellent, IMHO.

Have you seen Dexter?

yeah loved deadwood, takes a bit of getting used to , but really top notch.

if one season doens't bother you, band of brothers is the best thing they ever put on a screen for me. also firefly is excellent. Sarah connor chronicles is very good as well

If you haven't seen The West Wing, it's essential viewing. Seasons 1-4 will rank as my favourite TV show forever, I'm sure and stand repeated viewing. The only downside: all other TV seems crap by comparison.

Thanks for the replies. I've been selilng my wire box sets as soon as i've watched them and its only now i've finished season 5 that i wish i'd kept them.

From your advise I think i'll try the west wing and the shield. I still have the 1st season of deadwood and may try it again but i understand it doesn't actually finish at season 3 because it was cancelled. Does it leave i lot of unanswered storylines?

I believe (according to another forum) that HAM and/or Zavvi are doing The Complete West Wing for £49.99.

Absolute bargain for 44 discs, four seasons of the finest TV you'll ever see and 3 seasons that are bloody good and easily compare to some of the other great TV shows, but just a tiny bit below the first four seasons.

I missed out on it when it first started showing on TV over here, I thought "a TV show about the White House? How boring is that going to be, to someone that neither knew nor cared about US politics". How wrong could I have been :)

From your advise I think i'll try the west wing and the shield. I still have the 1st season of deadwood and may try it again but i understand it doesn't actually finish at season 3 because it was cancelled. Does it leave i lot of unanswered storylines?

I'd say Deadwood was well worth sticking with, it really is good once you get into it. It's been a while since I've seen season 3, so I can't remember for sure, but I know there was talk of a couple of TV movies to wrap things up (which seem to have dropped off the radar), so I would guess there are some unanswered things in there although not as bad as the final season of Las Vegas which ended on some fairly major cliff-hangers before it was cancelled :(

Another great show I've just thought of is Rescue Me, absolutely brilliant and sadly no longer showing over here after Sky dropped it, whith no sign of anyone else picking it up.

Definitely The Shield, definitely more like The Wire and not at all like 24. (I love 24 too but even i admit it's very contrived!) :D

I've rewatched the 1st 3 series again with the Mrs and it's just as good the 2nd time, excellent charcters, acting, writing etc. They can be had for very cheap nowadays as well.

Rob

The first one to check out is OZ. Its the best prison show ever made and my favourite show of all time. Its brutal, gritty and very raw just like The Wire.

The Shield is also very good and a must watch. :)

i was going to put a guess on how long it would be before razor mentioned OZ dont think i'll bother now:D

Another thumbs up for the West Wing...simply brilliant sharp, snappy writing...the best of it's time!

Try season 1 and see if it floats your boat :smashin:..

i was going to put a guess on how long it would be before razor mentioned OZ dont think i'll bother now:D

:D I am a bit predictable with that one aren't I. It is a show that everyone should know about, so I do like the spread the word. :smashin:

Another vote for Oz. It's one of the few series I've managed to stay with until the end - it had me hooked. I haven't got round to watching The Wire yet but I've heard that they share a lot of the same actors.

Another vote for Oz. It's one of the few series I've managed to stay with until the end - it had me hooked. I haven't got round to watching The Wire yet but I've heard that they share a lot of the same actors.

They do mate and they are both from HBO. If you like one you will love the other. :)

Another one to recommend OZ and also The Shield. Due to the shows not being on a national network ( ie, FOX, CBS, NBC & ABC) the writers have a certain amount of freedom, and it really shows in the writing and performances.

I'll add another vote for Dexter, very dark and funny.
I've never watched the Wire or the shield what are they about?
Also a show called Mad Men got very good reviews when it was shown on BBC2 earlier this year. I watched the first couple of episodes and it looked very good but I never quite got into it. anyone else watched Mad Men?

The Shield

wonderful TV if you like quality shows like The Wire and Sopranos

Another vote for The Shield . WIll be sorry to see the end of the series.

Just ordered series 4-6 on DVD for £38 from Amazon. When Season 7 finishes, I will be watching the whole lot....again and then probably again after that. My absolute favourite show of all time.

Just watched the first disc of Season 1 of The Wire. Now , Im no prude, and can swear with the best of them, but the amount of swearing in it is ridiculous.Seems they can't go more than 2 sentences without throwing in a mofo or two :) as well as a few other expletives for good measure .Hopefully it will be a grower . Not instantly hooked, as I was with The Shield, although saying that I want to see the next episode so it must have something going for it.

Just watched the first disc of Season 1 of The Wire. Now , Im no prude, and can swear with the best of them, but the amount of swearing in it is ridiculous.Seems they can't go more than 2 sentences without throwing in a mofo or two :) as well as a few other expletives for good measure .Hopefully it will be a grower . Not instantly hooked, as I was with The Shield, although saying that I want to see the next episode so it must have something going for it.

Thats life on the streets for you. Very true to life IMO. ;)

I found the same with Oz to be honest. Thought it was a fantastic show but the swearing made me wince a bit at times. I'm not much of a swearer though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom