Done the right thing?!

tim200sx

Standard Member
Long time lurker, first time poster here! :hiya:
Ordered a Denon 500sd yesterday after all the rave reviews on here and in the magazine articles linked to from here.
The two other systems I was considering was the panny 990 and sony DAVDZ410. I gave them all a try in Currys over the w/e and I have to say, to my untrained ear and with the far from ideal listening situation in a busy store, they all sounded very similar to each other. As there were so few opinions on the panny and sony on the forum, and I couldn't track down any magazine articles on them, I decided to play safe and shell out the extra £70 to get the well respected Denon from Superfi (£395 reigon free is pretty good compared to Comet's asking price of £499 :eek: ) :)
So hopefully all you guys are going to tell me I did the right thing and that I should be looking forward to the weekend when I can get the system set and try out a few films! :clap:
:smashin:
 

radiowave

Standard Member
I hope you have done the right thing as I am passing thru the same situation and have ultimately narrowed down to DHT500. I might order one after waiting to see the response you get.
 

radiowave

Standard Member
tim200sx said:
Long time lurker, first time poster here! :hiya:
Ordered a Denon 500sd yesterday after all the rave reviews on here and in the magazine articles linked to from here.
The two other systems I was considering was the panny 990 and sony DAVDZ410. I gave them all a try in Currys over the w/e and I have to say, to my untrained ear and with the far from ideal listening situation in a busy store, they all sounded very similar to each other. As there were so few opinions on the panny and sony on the forum, and I couldn't track down any magazine articles on them, I decided to play safe and shell out the extra £70 to get the well respected Denon from Superfi (£395 reigon free is pretty good compared to Comet's asking price of £499 :eek: ) :)
So hopefully all you guys are going to tell me I did the right thing and that I should be looking forward to the weekend when I can get the system set and try out a few films! :clap:
:smashin:
so did you like it?
 

tim200sx

Standard Member
Hopefully be with me tomorrow, no thanks to super-fi :thumbsdow
They told me it it was in stock andwould be with me for the weekend, but I checked my card today and they hadn't charged it, so I called them up and apparently it isn't in stock and won't be until late next week :mad:
So I cancelled my order and got one through PRC and paid an extra £30 to have it on next day delivery :rolleyes:
So with anyluck it'll be waiting for me when I get back from work tomoz :thumbsup:
 

radiowave

Standard Member
The thing with superfi is that because they also have some highstreet shops...I have a feeling they are easy to get hold of, if you ever had any problems with the set.
So I would go with them even if I have to wait for a few days more.
 

tim200sx

Standard Member
Made full use of this over the w/e, and all I can say is that it's a brilliant bit of kit! :D
One question though, how do you get a ps2 to work via optical? I've activated the optical on the ps2, plugged the lead into both units, and then I can't find the right function on the Denon to use it! any ideas?:lease:
 

tim200sx

Standard Member
I'm guessing any red/yellow/white leads (sorry I don't know the technical term for them!) need to be removed from the "video 2 in" sockets?
Do you also need to remove the normal scart type lead from the back of the ps2?
I have to say the Denon manual is quite disappointing in its detail :(
One other thing to ask, I was under the impression that Dolby PLII was for a surround effect from stereo sources, so what setting should I use for 5.1 DVDs? Is it the DPS (can't remember if they're the right letters! :eek: ) or do you still use the PLII?
Thanks in advance! :smashin:
 

suicida

Novice Member
tim200sx said:
I'm guessing any red/yellow/white leads (sorry I don't know the technical term for them!) need to be removed from the "video 2 in" sockets?
Do you also need to remove the normal scart type lead from the back of the ps2?
I have to say the Denon manual is quite disappointing in its detail :(
erm, not sure what you mean here... It should be the same as my set up with the Xbox 360 - connect the PS2 to your TV as normal so you get a picture, and the audio should be handled by the Denon via the optical lead...

tim200sx said:
One other thing to ask, I was under the impression that Dolby PLII was for a surround effect from stereo sources, so what setting should I use for 5.1 DVDs? Is it the DPS (can't remember if they're the right letters! :eek: ) or do you still use the PLII?
Thanks in advance! :smashin:
You don't need to select any 'mode' as 5.1 audio is already mixed for surround. If the disc gives you the choice between Dolby Digital and DTS choose whichever one you think sounds better (which is normally the DTS soundtrack)

HTH
 

tim200sx

Standard Member
I've actually connected the video leads from the ps2 into the Denon, but I'll stick them back into the TV now and plug the optical into the Denon see if that works!!

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:
 
Top Bottom