Done the right thing? Pio v Pana (sorry!)

pixelated

Chaps

Ordered a 5090 with a reasonably heavy heart instead of a 500A simply because I managed to get a good deal, and the connectors are downwards facing anyway so I can do without the media box and will get it ISF'd so don't need the optimum mode thing, nor the Ethernet port...

With the new Panasonic V coming out and the Z soon to follow (although if that IS going to be £4000 or whatever then the Z isn't relevant!), are the Pioneer Kuros still the best way to go?

Say yes. Please...

Stuart

Monarch

Distinguished Member
For watching SD TV yes (in my opinion), for HD it is closer, but I would still favour the Pioneer, although I am yet to personally see the effectiveness of the V10s THX preset which was highly praised in the review on this site

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi,

It it helps, I definitely think so! All the new fancy internet/multimedia features the new sets have will still be available to you via BD Players etc, the kuro still has the best blacks and SD by far. It sounds like you got a good deal so even more so! What did you pay?

Suave!

pixelated

For watching SD TV yes (in my opinion), for HD it is closer, but I would still favour the Pioneer, although I am yet to personally see the effectiveness of the V10s THX preset which was highly praised in the review on this site

Even with the THX preset, could it match an ISF'd 5090? I -will- be getting it ISF'd. :D

I have always, always had Panasonic so know just how good they are and if it's a close run thing between Panasonic and Pioneer for HDTV, I'm not surprised. So long as the Pioneer is a little better :p

Kingfats... your opinion is appreciated, I'll give you your fiver for telling me what I want to hear later!

GaryMo

Ordered a 5090 with a reasonably heavy heart instead of a 500A simply because I managed to get a good deal, and the connectors are downwards facing anyway so I can do without the media box and will get it ISF'd so don't need the optimum mode thing, nor the Ethernet port...

I'm not sure what you mean about the connectors (assume you mean inputs/outputs?) but they're not downwards facing on the 5090:

http://www.sightandsounduk.com/uploads/products/extras/std/LX5090-11.jpg

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Even with the THX preset, could it match an ISF'd 5090? I -will- be getting it ISF'd. :D

...No, it shouldn't, although in the AVF review there was a comment on how calibration couldn't beat the THX mode, however, I can't say I can see it actually being better than the 5090.

pixelated

...No, it shouldn't, although in the AVF review there was a comment on how calibration couldn't beat the THX mode, however, I can't say I can see it actually being better than the 5090.

So, until at least next year when Panasonic release their new TVs (seems a ridiculous thing to say, I know), the 5090 (along with the KRP500A/M of course) are likely to be the TVs to beat?

It seems as though I have done the right thing. Naturally I'll always have a niggling feeling about the KRP500A, however if the Panasonic Z1 is succeeded next year by the Z2, or maybe even a new V series, I'd expect that to be around the KRP's equal so I can take a look at that then.

Smooth.

rewerb

What the reviewer meant was that he couldnt calibrate the V10 to be any better than the out of the box THX mode on the V10.

The Pioneer has much better calibration controls which allows the calibrator to achieve "reference" level with colours and greyscale. (as opposed to the only "excellent" colour level achieved on the V10)

Monarch

Distinguished Member
What the reviewer meant was that he couldnt calibrate the V10 to be any better than the out of the box THX mode on the V10.

I know, hence why I commented on doubting the possibility of the V10 being better than the 5090

pixelated

VX100 has it's advantages over the KRP500

Interesting!

To be honest the VX100 was never a possibility. I appreciate the technical prowess of the professional displays but they're (in my opinion) a little bland for the living room. Amazing technology, though, just not necessarily something I'd like to have in the living room... that's my current position anyway, it's subject to change ;)

I can't wait to hear more about the Z1.

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Interesting!

To be honest the VX100 was never a possibility. I appreciate the technical prowess of the professional displays but they're (in my opinion) a little bland for the living room. Amazing technology, though, just not necessarily something I'd like to have in the living room...

It's a good point, I would imagine that the sales of both the viera and professional range would increase if they improved the design, the V10 and Z1 are both nice to look at (not the most interesting) but the X10 and G10 for example are just black boxes and, although I've never looked at them in person, the professional range looks even duller. This is an incredibly controversial area though because you shouldn't buy a TV based on its design, I do find myself more attracted to other TVs which are nicer to look at though, and I'm sure many feel the same

pixelated

It's a good point, I would imagine that the sales of both the viera and professional range would increase if they improved the design, the V10 and Z1 are both nice to look at (not the most interesting) but the X10 and G10 for example are just black boxes and, although I've never looked at them in person, the professional range looks even duller. This is an incredibly controversial area though because you shouldn't buy a TV based on its design, I do find myself more attracted to other TVs which are nicer to look at though, and I'm sure many feel the same

Yep, you're not wrong. I have always bought Viera over the professional range as aesthetics simply are important in a living area, in my opinion anyway. In an absolutely dedicated room I'd consider the professional range but in my living room I'd always be second guessing I think.

It's certainly not the most sensible way of doing things and I wouldn't advocate buying a pretty Samsung over a high end professional range Panasonic of course, God no... but a Viera? Definitely. My word, it's complicated.

pixelated

I saw in another thread someone mention the pq of the Z1 to be slightly inferior to the V10

Hmm. Due to the wireless aspect of it?

I was thinking the Z1 would be just as good as the V10, but would have been surprised if it was any better. I am a bit disappointed it is allegedly a little worse, but I'm not surprised either.

~dadam02~

This was the post i was referring to:
The PQ on the Z1 is sublime, but in actual fact the V10 is technically better in this respect. The only real advantage picture-wise is the absence of a 'front screen' on the Z1 which means there are no double-image issues. The black levels on the Z1 are also stunning.

Current prices are:

TXP46Z1 - RRP £4300
TXP54Z1 - RRP £5500
In hindsight, maybe i was reading too much into it....time will tell.

Those prices though :eek:

pixelated

This was the post i was referring to:

In hindsight, maybe i was reading too much into it....time will tell.

Those prices though :eek:

I do hope Panasonic continue the Z series next year, I am most interested in them however at that price for an inferior picture quality (compared to the 5090/500A), it didn't seem right this time around. Next year hopefully the prices will have dropped a little and I'll take another look at them. Let's face it, the 5090/500A are no style slouches either!

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Where did you get your 5090 from ? What was the price if you don't mind me asking?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021