Done it - bought the Nikon D50

lawrenso

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

well, I have done it - and plumped for the D50 from www.collegecameras.co.uk for £549 for the twin lens kit - it is currently sitting in a box at home but I am in Lancaster:mad: :mad: :mad: . I also got a SANDISK ULTRA II of ebay - 1gb - for £33 inc.

so - what now - without busting the bank:rolleyes:

Looking for a 50mm prime lense - anybody know anywhere to get one from for a decent price

Also, a decent storage/carry bag for the camera plus lenses etc....

Imaging software - is the supplied software any good with the D50 and what are your recommendations if not

Will also be fitting skylight filters on the lenses to protect them.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated :smashin: :smashin:

Cheers

Steve

i just got a d50 on last friday too :)

the nikon software is notoriously crappy btw

GrannySmith said:
Good choice...I'm loving my new D50/18-70 lens combo, now all I need is a break in the weather! :(

Best price on a 50mm f1.8 Nikkor & filters - http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/

Hi - thanks for the link - have you used them? does the vat reclaim thing work??

on the software front - might try playing with the GIMP

Cheers

Steve

Good choice, you won't regret it.

I agree on the Nikon software - really poor. Got my D50 just after Christmas and lasted about a week before giving up on the Nikon software and getting Photoshop Elements v4 - just a massive difference in ease of use and versatility.

lawrenso said:
Hi - thanks for the link - have you used them? does the vat reclaim thing work??

on the software front - might try playing with the GIMP

Cheers

Steve

I've stuck a toe in the water by ordering a couple of filters, enough to put me a few quid over the £18 personal import limit...we'll see if OneStop Digital will honour little VAT bills before sending 'em the biggies! ;)

"Playing with the GIMP"...what, like Brucie did in 'Pulp Fiction' you mean? :eek:

I've used OSD a few times. I did receive VAT bills for the two lenses I bought, but the process of reclaiming it from them was simple and pretty quick (although not instantaneous). I've always found them to be helpful, although like any supplier you can't always trust them to be the cheapest for everything.

If it's your first DSLR then i'd probably wait and see on the lens as with a twin lens kit you are covering a large range anyway. Wait and see what you need when you have got used to the camera and what it will do with the supplied lenses.

As far as the bag goes, again, see what you need. I'm walking round with mine without any bags or spare lenses at the moment to guage what i think i will need in the future. Then again, maybe i'm being too cautious :laugh:

With imaging software, personally i'd plump for something like Adobe Elements.

All of this pushes the cost of DSLR up, but, the results you will get with practice will be well worth it :smashin:

Steve, bought a D50? Brilliant choice!!!!

I found the Nikon software to be a bit awkward too, I dont think you will go far wrong with anything from Adobe, Elements 4 is supposed to be excellent, I use Photoshop CS2, but only because i got it at a good price :smashin:

I bought a Tamrac Expedition 4 camera bag ( http://www.cambags.com/nikon/d70/backpacks/Tamrac_5274_desc.htm ) I can recommend it, loads of storage and not too bulky, but shop around for a good price, I paid about £60 delivered.

If you are going to use a skylight or UV filter, get a really good quality one. You dont want to spoil what that expensive coated lens can see by sticking a cheap bit of glass on the front! I never use them and have never scratched or marked a lens. The lens cap does for me.

Allan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom