Done a bit of juggling re: headsets

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With my head and heart in two minds regarding recent developments, I've cancelled the Amazon order for the Quest and Rift S. Instead, I've re-ordered them both from Argos, thus freeing up nine hundred quid, as I can buy now, pay later. This means that I can, somewhat begrudgingly, afford the Index, which I've just gone and reserved.

Pretty sure that the Quest shall be a keeper, as it fills a different role. Meantime, I can have some actual hands-on with Rift S vs Valve Index, and see which fits my needs best. Obviously, the Rift S shall be in my hands a lot sooner, so I can A-B it against my CV1. If it shines sufficiently then I shall sell the CV1, if it doesn't, it'll be returned to Argos pronto. Then whichever survives round one shall enter a face-off against the Index. The winner shall stay in my possession, the loser moved on.

I know that, on paper at least, the Index should be all-conquering, but it's the real world that counts. I don't have an i9, or a GTX 2080ti, so 120/144mhz could well be a moot point for me anyway. It'll come down to what shines best on my moderate system - i7 6700k, GTX1080, 16gb DDR4.

However it pans out, I'm dead excited. VR is already amazing, so any improvements are the icing on an already delicious cake :)

How can you return it to Argos after you’ve used it, if there’s nothing wrong with it? Do they have a policy for this?

How can you return it to Argos after you’ve used it, if there’s nothing wrong with it? Do they have a policy for this?

Haha. Sounds like you don’t have much faith in it being better than my CV1 ;)

In the unlikely event of it being sub-standard I shall endeavour to return it. It will either be same day, or following day. If my attempts fail, then I shall simply pop it onto eBay, and maybe take a small hit. I could always plead ignorance with Argos and play the IPD card, lol.

Yeah fair enough :) it’s just a pet peeve of mine, people ordering stuff they have no intention of keeping, just to see what it’s like. Then returning it and the retailer having to deal with that, then someone else possibly getting the return.

I’ve no doubt the Rift S will be a solid piece of kit. I’m waiting for the Quest myself, only two weeks to go!

Yeah fair enough :) it’s just a pet peeve of mine, people ordering stuff they have no intention of keeping, just to see what it’s like. Then returning it and the retailer having to deal with that, then someone else possibly getting the return.

I’ve no doubt the Rift S will be a solid piece of kit. I’m waiting for the Quest myself, only two weeks to go!

I know exactly what you mean, and I've always been very much in the same camp until very recently, when it seemed I was the only one who wouldn't do it. Now, I'll occasionally do it on very rare occasions, depending on the type of item. After all, if it performs like a dog on my system, it's a large sum of money. And you don't get to take your pc in to the store for a trial run.

Yep, also looking forward to the arrival of the Quest. I'm hoping to use it for all of the "get me fit" type of games, that will benefit from being untethered.

I know exactly what you mean, and I've always been very much in the same camp until very recently, when it seemed I was the only one who wouldn't do it. Now, I'll occasionally do it on very rare occasions, depending on the type of item. After all, if it performs like a dog on my system, it's a large sum of money. And you don't get to take your pc in to the store for a trial run.

Yep, also looking forward to the arrival of the Quest. I'm hoping to use it for all of the "get me fit" type of games, that will benefit from being untethered.

Yeah just get an Argos delivery to home. By law with reason you can return it within 14 day for whatever you want.

Yeah just get an Argos delivery to home. By law with reason you can return it within 14 day for whatever you want.

When I looked on the Argos site, they were boasting a 30 day, no quibbles return period. How robust that is in real life I’ve no idea, but it sounds good. It’s all immaterial now though, as my job hangs in the balance. I’ve had to do the sensible thing and cancel both the Rift S and Quest. Not easy to do now all of the great reviews for the Quest are flooding out :(

Not to be an old stick in the mud :) but I think to return items they need to be unused etc. Argos says
  • The item should be unused, in its original packaging and in a re-sellable condition
Makes it hard to try it first. You just need to do your research, check pc specs etc, then make your decision and commit.

Sorry about your job uncertainty, all these items are only necessary when you’ve got surplus cash.

Thanks Jeff. I hadn’t read the small print, so that’s worth bearing in mind.

I have been informed that I’ll be given an absolute on the job situation on Wednesday. If it looks good then I’ll continue the splurge. With a tentative degree of optimism, I’ve re-ordered the Quest. If the news turns out to be bad I’ll simply cancel before the 21st.

Would be interested to hear what you think of it if you do indeed get one. It looks like a very nice piece of kit.

Would be interested to hear what you think of it if you do indeed get one. It looks like a very nice piece of kit.

I was a bit reticent at first, but I have clear purpose in mind for it. I desperately need to get fit, and think vr is a highly motivational tool to help get the job done. I’ve played Beat Sabre, and Thrill of the Fight on the rift, and thoroughly enjoyed myself, but have always ended up clashing with the trailing wire, and getting a bit t!tted off. I’m intending to use the Quest for my non-tethered, sweaty antics. Wireless should be quite a liberating experience.

I’ll probably get that dance game, Creed, Beat Sabre, the tennis one, BoxVR if it gets the nod. Basically anything jumpy. Oh, and Super Hot and the Wild West shooty thing whose name I’ve forgotten.

I’ll be sure to post my thoughts once I have it. I went for the 64gb one, as I know the price of memory, and just hate being ripped off, even though I wanted the 128gb. £100 extra is taking the p!ss. Me and my bloody principles :D

Not to be an old stick in the mud :) but I think to return items they need to be unused etc. Argos says
  • The item should be unused, in its original packaging and in a re-sellable condition
Makes it hard to try it first. You just need to do your research, check pc specs etc, then make your decision and commit.

Sorry about your job uncertainty, all these items are only necessary when you’ve got surplus cash.

As per law, you can open the box and inspect it for any goods delivered to your house.

You’re not entitled to this if you bought it from the store.

I see your point. it is a difficult one. On one hand legally people are allowed to return devices for no specific reason if they decide they do not like it.
on the other hand no one (or very few) people like receiving items which have already been opened by other people - unless they know in advance and get a heavy discount.

something has to give somewhere however and i suspect push comes to shove the cost will be passed on to the users somewhere along the line.

riftS and quest may be different as they do not come with games however oculus rift CV1 and oculus touch bundles came with games, once the products were activated they games were tied to your account which would then make it hard to return under DSR i think.

as for the job... good luck. i have been through the "at risk" period many times and actually finally got forced on 2 years ago. it sucks but something usually comes alone. I ended up not being out of work at all, but was forced to not accept redundancy to make this so. As i had a new child at the time i could not risk it, so that was 20 years redundancy and about 6 months pay (after tax) i had to walk away from :(

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom