Donating a Wii to Charity

dudesweet

Hi guys,

I was lucky that my backup preorder also came through and while I was tempted to Ebay it - I had a moment of clarity on the Tube and decided I should donate it to a childrens home/hospial.

Unfortunately I cant afford to give the whole amount so am asking around for money to make help me being able to afford to do this. Not asking any1 here yet but may if needs be.

However - before all that - wondered if anybody knew of where I could start to look for contacting places. Or if anybody knew of a specific place that would really appreciate it. Some people have suggested that it might actually be hard to find a place willing to take it. If this is the case will have to scrap the idea.

We would like to hand deliver it so places in London only if possible please.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Why not Ebay it & give the money to a local charity you will get more for them that way.

Or Ebay it as a Charity auction??

All in all its still a VERY nice gesture, glad to see not everyone is so money obsessed these days.

Neil

Hkem

Novice Member
What a great idea, you are a saint for the thought. I think the Wii console really appeals to people because of the ability to control what's going on with simple movement instead of dexterity in the fingers and thumbs. Perhaps somewhere with kids who don't have full use of their arms or hands or prosthetic limbs would get a lot of enjoyment out of it?

dudesweet

Thats what my mum said too - about the ebay profit thing. She said its a luxury item.

I do agree to a point, but at the same time them havign this for Xmas would be fun...at least in the little idealistic vision I have in my head :rotfl:

If it seems to be too much hassle - will probably do this, plenty of worthy charities. But would be nice if I could get it to work out.

dudesweet

What a great idea, you are a saint for the thought. I think the Wii console really appeals to people because of the ability to control what's going on with simple movement instead of dexterity in the fingers and thumbs. Perhaps somewhere with kids who don't have full use of their arms or hands or prosthetic limbs would get a lot of enjoyment out of it?
Yep - agree sounds like the sort of thing I would love to give it to.

Anyone have ideas of places like this?

kingolympics

That's really good of you. Maybe they would appreciate the money more. If you sell it on ebay, the people who are paying way over the odds for it, can obviously afford to or are just plain stupid. Why not take advantage and let the charity benefit? Alternatively, you could ask around and donate it to a not so well off family or maybe the people who were screwed over by the company who ran christmas hampers going bust.

I'm sure if you emailed the Sun who ran a campaign to help them out, they could find you someone.

jezzer256

Novice Member
Perhaps somewhere with kids who don't have full use of their arms or hands or prosthetic limbs would get a lot of enjoyment out of it?
I admit I do not know much about the Wii, but I would think older consoles (or a 360) would work better for people who don't have full use of their arms or those with prosthetic limbs?

dudesweet

That's really good of you. Maybe they would appreciate the money more. If you sell it on ebay, the people who are paying way over the odds for it, can obviously afford to or are just plain stupid. Why not take advantage and let the charity benefit? Alternatively, you could ask around and donate it to a not so well off family or maybe the people who were screwed over by the company who ran christmas hampers going bust.

I'm sure if you emailed the Sun who ran a campaign to help them out, they could find you someone.
Thanks for suggestions - maybe ebay might be the way - but just think ebay is a bit too risky - paypal chargebacks and all that stuff!

As for the Sun...not sure if I would want that much publicity! :cool:

kingolympics

Thanks for suggestions - maybe ebay might be the way - but just think ebay is a bit too risky - paypal chargebacks and all that stuff!

As for the Sun...not sure if I would want that much publicity! :cool:
I know what you mean but I'm sure they'd allow it to be anonymous and you can imagine how much of a difference it would make to go from having your christmas ruined to getting a Wii, which could really cheer a family up.

Another idea, you could always give it to a charity who could auction it off?

T

Tequila316

i would sell it on ebay, mention its for charity, might get 500 for it, if its for charity, then use the moeny to buy lots of small present for children who wont be getting any this year.

like orphanage etc.

would be better idea, some kids might not like video games, young girls etc.

just a thought.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Just had another idea...

Raffle it off on here.

Speak to a Mod.
Charge £20 per ticket.
Take a % from each ticket sold for yourself to cover your cost (or at least part of) for the machine itself
Get another mod to select one name by random from all those entered...they win the machine all the money you colleted from the raffle goes to chosen charity.

Jobs a good 'un & one of our fellow forumites will get to have a Wii at christmas :)

Neil

dudesweet

Hmm might be a good idea Soundwave. But would require over 9 people to enter...reckon there would be enough?

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Hmm might be a good idea Soundwave. But would require over 9 people to enter...reckon there would be enough?
Well there are at least 5 wanted threads for one so should be some interest & if you make it a respectable well known charity then most people at this time of year are happy to donate something.

Neil

kingolympics

I am trying to get hold of a machine so would definitely chip in £20 for a raffle for a wii. Can't really lose when the money is going to end up going to a charity.

Count me in if you do it.

Just had another idea...

Raffle it off on here.

Speak to a Mod.
Charge £20 per ticket.
Take a % from each ticket sold for yourself to cover your cost (or at least part of) for the machine itself
Get another mod to select one name by random from all those entered...they win the machine all the money you colleted from the raffle goes to chosen charity.

Jobs a good 'un & one of our fellow forumites will get to have a Wii at christmas :)

Neil
Yep a wii raffle! :thumbsup:

louishm

Novice Member
Why not Ebay it & give the money to a local charity you will get more for them that way.

Or Ebay it as a Charity auction??

All in all its still a VERY nice gesture, glad to see not everyone is so money obsessed these days.

Neil

i agree with soundwave on this one. Sorry to say this but this day and age i could see this taking a walk from a hospital ward, or like was said earlier to get the cash and buy lots of smaller presents.
great idea though mate hope it all goes well.:thumbsup:

paul

Wii has wifm will interfere with hospital equipment, and the wireless reciever to, no place for a hospital, auction it off in the DaveP charity thread, I'm sure over RRP prices should not be a problem as it is for charity.., just state how much you want from it before hand.. eg...£80

dudesweet

Ok - thanks for all the suggestions. Going to look into a few of them - ebay/raffle seems most likely. At the moment ebay seems to be winning as the amount they seem to be going for is crazy.

Will let you all know what I decide - thanks for the help!

ceepee

Novice Member
The raffle sounds like a great idea, i'd definately be willing to put £20 towards this - provided its a respectable charity :)

why not contact a mod, see if you can do some sort of raffle on avforums, reckong you would sell a few hundred tickets at a £1 a pop, then someone high up in the svforums chain pulls a winner?

reckon you would get even more this way than the ebay route

doh teach me not to read entire thread b4 replying, the raffle idea has been said :)

Kamakazie

yeah a raffle would be a great idea :)

I think £20 is a bit much and £1 a bit cheap... £4/5 should see a good amount of people doing it and you need less to get to a good total!

Id put a fiver in!

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
[Mod Comment: I'll bring this thread to the attention of Admin who would have final say over something like this. Even if for some reason AVF dont get officially involved, my own personal suggestion would be to sell it on the forum here at a cost price so a member gets a chance of giving one to their kid or whatever and you can donate the money to a worthy charity, or even split up over a couple. Anyhow, I'll pass this on and hopefully a response will be posted sometime in the next 24 hours: end Mod Comment]