donated htpc can't get on with xbmc

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by robhullfury, Feb 19, 2014.

1. robhullfury

robhullfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi all, my dad was kind enough to donate his htpc its nothing spectacular but its primary use is to play the numerous DVDs and film of Thomas the tank engine plus all the other crap my lad watches and clogs our living room up with. My thinking... Burn it all as mp4s and pop on hdisk and throw the DVDs in the loft (I also have some of my own films and the wifes chick flicks ill rip and store). Its not got a HDMI output so its set to my tele using the monitor cable so not going for 1080p quality haha. My issue is ive put xmbc on and its crashing in the PC as it does with my android phone and laptop I have it on and I'm sick of it. So wondered if there's anything similar I can do with VLC or something free. I like the organisation aspect of XMBC giving you the movie info and DVD cover as a thumbnail. Also am I right in thinking handbrake will do just fine for ripping the DVDS the htpc has media centre on but has some heshell.exe issue on startup?

Does anybody have any suggestions or help? Many Thanks

2. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
  3. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    I'd try bubblegum57's suggestion, heshell.exe and possibly one of the linux xbmc distros.

I use MediaPortal on my HTPC.

For ripping I recommend MakeMKV. Handbrake if you want to transcode the files into x264 mp4 or mkv.

4. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    Can you wipe the OS and reinstall? I'd stick with XBMC as it'll do what you want for nowt, but it does sound as though you have a non-XBMC issue that's causing the crashes.

5. robhullfury

robhullfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The machine is old and does what I want just those little problems are a pain in the bottom. I'll remove media centre completely. Ive never used it before and can't see me needing it.

One other thing. Any ideas why VLC might pop a silver/grey scale screen for a split second and then returns as normal? Is it the original film that's corrupt?

6. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    Can't see anywhere what OS it has. Also, brief description of hardware might help.