Donate your body?

the whistler

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Our next door neighbours are in there 80's and yesterday after being ill for several weeks, the lady passed away at home.

Their daughter came to tell us the sad news and to our surprise told us that both of them had arranged to donate their bodies to medical science at Manchester university. Later last night a plain van arrived and took the body away.

So there is no funeral, and that was the final goodbye from her husband and daughter, and no opportunity for any other family of friends to say there goodbyes.

I must admit, donating my body is not something I have ever thought of, but I wonder now if I should consider it. I suppose one good thing is that there are no expensive funeral costs, but it does seem to be a rather sad ending to someone's life, just to be taken away in a van.

Apparently, after three years, the family are entitled to take the remains back for a proper funeral if they so wish.

Have you considered donating your body?

Didn't know you could, like the idea though. I'm on the organ donor list though and have given the wife strict instructions to let them have anything that's of use when I'm gone.

My brother did, they only kept the body for about six months then arranged for a simple service and cremation with the ashes returned to the family.
He did it for two reasons, first he want to save the funeral costs, and second as a young man he benefited from a corneal transplant and wanted to do something to pay it back.

The FiL has his up for donation for medical training. MiL has a rare condition and has listed her brain for donation to the special unit that studies it to help future sufferers.

I looked into it but at the time (may have changed now) I lived too far from any of the centres which do this.
I see it as an extension of my organ donor registration.

I've just signed up to a company called Soylent Holdings inc... What could possibly go wrong?

I've just signed up to a company called Soylent Holdings inc... What could possibly go wrong?

Oh I know them - they are right next to our company's caterers. Good guys.

Good idea. You don't need a body or an expensive box to have a funeral, it's a service, not a process. I hate the idea of a costly funeral.

Could be worse, Gunther von Hagens could get hold of you and you'll end up as exhibit 'Man playing ball bag bongos' with thousands of schoolchildren pointing and giggling at you for ever... and ever... and ever.

Good idea. You don't need a body or an expensive box to have a funeral, it's a service, not a process. I hate the idea of a costly funeral.

Father in law died earlier in the year, even though he'd taken out some sort of funeral insurance out, but that didn't come anywhere near covering the costs.

Even a very basic funeral cost upwards of £5000, I think that was just the coffin and the hearse to the church, there was only very immediate family, 4 or 5 of us, so we didn't have cars or anything, made our own way there. That's without the cost of a headstone.

I would rather my family had the benefit of whatever money I might be able to leave behind, so I've made it quite clear that if they insist on a funeral, I want it done the very cheapest way possible. I'd be perfectly happy for them to wrap me in a couple of bin bags and take me to the tip for all I'll know about it :rotfl:

I'd definitely look into donating to medical science if it's an option.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom