Question don’t know where to start upgrading my system

markgfisher

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my system for about 22 years now and have never upgraded anything. I’ve got a mixer as part of it and would like to get rid of it if possible as I never use it, other than as a pre-amp. I’ve got a budget of around £200-£300 for one item to replace first. Was thinking a new amplifier would be the best way to go, just to get rid of the mixer if nothing else. Any advice on what to replace first would be greatly appreciated.

equipment I’ve got is:
AX-910 Ariston amplifier
Limit DJ2000B Turntable
Synergy hybrid mixer
JPW ML510 speakers
Technics SL PG3 CD player

Thanks a lot!
77C81D60-FF25-4546-BB8B-E7399045404A.png
F2E9F9EC-A439-41FF-8376-319542D7A61B.png
A79A0505-4029-4DC0-97DB-DEE9769A66E8.png
ADA86A4A-2519-40E5-BD1D-0D4A5B7A9238.png

Others have recommended anthem mrx500. £270
Mic and remote are essential. :)

Doesn't appear to have a Phono in but a good buy none the less.

Why are you suggesting a 7 channel AV amp for 2 channel duties?

What kind of sound do you like when you have auditioned other kit? (neutral, bass heavy, bright treble, analytic, warm?)
What do you not like about your current setup compared to that ideal sound?
Do you need to add any additional modern sources into the mix like network streaming?

It could be that you don't need to improve... :)

If you do need to improve then room set-up might be adjustable?
If you do start looking at kit then speakers usually deliver the most noticeable change to the sound.

I do like the sound of my current set up to be fair, just wondering about upgrading with it being pretty old now. The presence of the mixer does annoy me quite a bit. Would like to remove that if I could.

Not that bothered about network streaming.

How could I remove the mixer? New amp or just add a phone preamp? Any suggestions as to which one?

Thanks

I'm going to reference the last time you asked this question, so we avoid repetition:

The presence of the mixer does annoy me quite a bit. Would like to remove that if I could.
How could I remove the mixer? New amp or just add a phone preamp? Any suggestions as to which one?

So Mark, take a look around the back of your Ariston and see does it have a Phono In?
If so then it likely has a phono pre-amp built in.
If so then plug your Limit turntable into the phono in slot and remove the mixer from the system - job done.

If it does not have Phono In then you have 3 options:
i) Buy a separate phono pre-amp (like those from Rega or Project) and replace your mixer with the pre-amp in between the turntable and amp.
ii) Buy a new amp with phono pre-amp built in (Cambridge Audio and Marantz probably have some around your budget) and plug your turntable into the phono in on the amp.
iii) Buy a new turntable with pre-amp built in (Rega have an entry level one that does this) - I wouldn't recommend this last option due to limitations of possible future upgrades.

If you're not sure on the Ariston, post a picture of the back of it.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Looks like the Ariston doe snot have a phono input so I guess the mixer is just being used as a phono preamp.

If you are looking for second hand then in the £200-300 bracket the are many good amps, a lot with built in phono inputs for the turnable.

This is where I would start as examples -

Rotel RA05 - Rotel RA-05 Stereo Amplifier | eBay

Arcam a28 - worth a cheeky offer - Arcam FMJ A28 Phono Integrated Amplifier 5060133601470 | eBay

Audiolab 8000a - Audiolab 8000A Stereo Integrated Amplifier | eBay

Something more modern Marantz PM6006 - Marantz PM6006 Hi-Fi Separate Stereo Integrated Amplifier w/Remote + Warranty | eBay

Or this is a rung up the ladder - worth keeping an eye on - Marantz PM7005 - Marantz PM7005 Power Amplifier | eBay

Or as others have said just buy a £50 phono preamp to replace the mixer - I used a Rega Fono Mini A2D and it worked well (even has a output trim for get volumes matched between sources), these can be had for £50-60 second hand.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Why are you suggesting a 7 channel AV amp for 2 channel duties?

In this case so would I.

Plenty of power, superb stereo sound and ARC room correction.

I’ll bet a testicle that they sound appreciably better than an equivalently priced stereo amp quite easily.

Available for 300 quid, sometimes less.

They sound nothing like a Denon or, say Onkyo AV amp with stereo playing.

A bargain for music such as are hardly ever to be found.

Looks like the Ariston doe snot have a phono input so I guess the mixer is just being used as a phono preamp.

The reason I'm not sure this is true is if you look carefully at the picture of the amp Mark provided it looks like on the right of the selector there is an aux/phono option...
This could indicate there is a phono input on the back (or it could be it is just reserved text for easy selection).
Anyway worth Mark checking for £0 :)

If you like what you have keep it. Buy a s/h phono stage, be done and never return here.

Your life will be cheaper, your relationships healthier and blood pressure lower.

All your stuff is very good budget gear.

And I’d have to say I agree with the D-Mann above. Wise words.

Audiolab 8000a
I have an Audiolab 8000A (plus other similar vintage Audiolab gear), and it's a really good integrated amp (with a very good phono stage). But they're old now and can suffer a couple of problems. One is that the plastic core material in the RCA connectors can degrade over time and start crumbling. I had to replace all of mine at a cost of around £55 (and a lot more if you have to pay someone to do it for you).

And a lot of them have failing power supply capacitors now, which need to be replaced. It cost me about £50 to replace mine, but I did choose expensive replacements - you can get a decent pair for probably around half that (but again, much more expensive if you can't do it yourself).

It's a terrific amp once once these two failings have been fixed, but you do need to be aware of the potential cost.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom