1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domino SIM20

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by G a f f e r, Jan 13, 2004.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    Hi
    I have saved up for the panny ae500 and just have to wait for its UK release (sanyo plvZ2 hasn't got horizontal keystone which I absolutely NEED because I have a small lounge and am very limited as to position of proj, it can only go in one place which is slightly off centre)

Anyway, I recently had a demo of the domino sim20 and WAS BLOWN AWAY by how good it looks. For the first time viewing a DLP I couldn't see rainbow artifact (well, only when looking away from the screen quickly, but then it wouldn't matter then would it?). Anyway, The £3700 asking price is a bit too steep, has anyone seen it for cheaper in the UK, Anyone got a best price? Or should I just buy the ae500 which is a damn sight cheaper for only a slightly reduced picture quality?

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    It's £3600 from Sevenoaks. I don't think you'll find it for much cheaper than that anywhere. When I was looking a couple of months back the best advertised price I found was £3750 with free ceiling bracket or £3250 ex display. Luckily I found a 10 week old one on these forums for £3000.

I've not seen an ae500 in action but having lived with the Sim2 for a bit I can definitely say I'd buy the same again, even at full price, if anything were to happen to this one!

3. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I was you, I would save for the Sim. . .

If you are anything like me, then you'll purchase the AE500, which I am sure is an excellent projector in its own right, and from then watch movies asking yourself 'what if only'. It'll then bug you everytime you sit down to a DVD !

When I saw the 20 and 30 back to back, I must concede there almost no noticeable difference between the two so you could look at it that for £3750 or whatever you are getting the performance of a £6000 projector - a bargain !!. In fact if you want to take this fuzzy :blush: logic one step further, the Domino30 has exactly the same chip set as the all mighty HT300+ and practically a rebadge minus DVI, so you could even argue you are getting a £9000 projector of the price of a Domino 20 . . . :confused:

Er. . , anyway good look with your choice.

Steve.

4. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Gaffer,

Check out my website (using the www button below), I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Domino 20 :smashin:

Ian.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Yes, the Sim range have outstanding image quality and optics, and the 20 is now a steal, considering that the 848 x 480 HT200DMF was around £4500 less than a year ago - I saw the DMF against the HT1000 and other DLPs, and the little DMF produced the smoothest image with most realistic colors.

The Domino 20 is the bigger brother of the DMF and has the same high quality optics along with the excellent processing of the range, so you know you're getting a great image - and now cheaper than the DMF was. :)

Definately worth the extra imho.

IIRC, the Sims use a flat lens which gives a sharp image across the whole range, and that's why they tend to be a longer throw. Mosty pjs have a spherical lens to one degree or another, and I think that can cause slight focus problems at the edges when the center is sharp. That also allowas for a shorter throw. Someone please correct me if that's incorrect. :)

Gary.

6. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gaffer,

I have seen the Domino 20 as well, and was actually about to buy it , yes the picture quality was good and so it should be for nearly £4000. I have also seen the HS20 at the same time and the difference was barely noticeable and £1500 cheaper.

The guys on here are great and give excellent advice and information but a lot of them are into it technically and I am sure sometimes don't watch movies but analyse them instead. They are trying to pick up on every little blemish of what they see and make comment on it, which means they sometimes lose the plot as a Film Buff.

Kramer (oh my hero) seems to be an exception to this and gives balanced reviews on what he sees. Maybe Im just an HS Lover at heart.

Take Kramers review of the above 3K NEC against his HS10 there was a lot of money between them but he still went with the Sony(alright he has one but he seems to give balanced reviews).

What I am saying is wait for the 500 to come out, have a look at it, if you like it get it - you have saved yourself £2.5k. Believe me there will something better than the Sim for less than £2.5k within 18 months, have another look then.

Doesn't matter what you get you will want to upgrade anyway in that time, we all like new stuff.

Don't get sucked into the audio/video snobbery that goes on, it will only cost you a boat load of cash with very little difference in quality.

Im a computer manager and see the same thing going on there, must have latest processor etc etc and using 10% of it's capability.

Suit at the ready

Chris

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    You make some good points Chris.

I agree with you re cost and improvements seen, which is why I went for the NEC over the Sim at the time - the HT1000 was £1000 cheaper, but only marginaly inferior, plus the fact that throw and seating distance had to be considered.

In 18months there will definately be some newer/better projectors, but there has to be a point where you decide you want to buy rather than wait, and currently, buying cheaper may be a better option as projector prices drop quite a lot as newer ones come along.

You can get some real bargains if you look around. The Optoma H56 is great value at just over £2000 too and comparable to the HT1000, so worth a look. I'm going to try and get a look at the Philips Bogart Matchline which looks similar in spec to the H56, but is only £1600 on-line.

Gary.

8. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree Gary,

Please let me know what you think about the Philips Bogart Matchline. Would be good to hear your views especially as you have the NEC which evryone seems to like.

The thing that I found with a lot of the stuff I have sseen is that you can only see the differences when you do an A to B. If you see them seperately you enjoy a lot of the projectors that have been mentioned.

Im as bad as anyone, I looked at the Sim and thought I'll have that but then saw the HS20 and enjoyed that to - found out the throw of the Sim20 was too long anyway. So thought HS20 was for me, but then started looking at reviews etc - fancied the NEC HT 1000, like the look of the new Sharp 200 - which may suit my small room better with the lens shift.

So all in all a bit up in the air again.

I have a couple of weeks before my room is ready. I get my spot lights installed at the weekend. I have painted my ceiling, door and skirting boards black. I have chosen a dark charcoal carpet for the walls and a black carpet for the floor - should look stunning. Thanks for the idea about getting the walls carpeted.

One thing I have found is that you can dismiss alot of projectors because of the shape and size of your room, which is quite helpful.

Chris

9. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Gary,

If your eye-ing up cheaper alternatives to the NEC HT1000, BenQ announced this one at CES:

PB6200, XGA, 1700 lumens, 2000:1 CR, est. street price $1,599

Allan

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Hi Alan,

sounds good - the 1280 x 720 Benq looks a steal at £3000, and seems to get good reviews too. This model should be worth a look, especialy at that price and spec (though possibly a bit bright). :)

Gary.

11. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the Benq 8700 is on my list too.

Not too many places seem to sell it and Im from the North East which is like a wasteland for good AV.

You guys know anything about the Northern Show on Feb 7th.

Chris

12. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Gary,

Too bright ? Shove it into eco mode.

Trying to weigh up the pros and cons at the moment between getting an 8700 or waiting for the 8710. Sensible thing to do would be to wait, trouble is I sold my old projector a few weeks ago and now I'm gagging for the next one. Truth be told I'd have the 8700 tomorrow but just can't get hold of them at the moment.

Chris,

Here's a link to details and exhibitors at the Northern show:

http://www.chestergroup.org/

Allan

13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Allan,

I meant the 6200, but having said that, in eco mode and a lamp with over 200 hours on it would probably be about right. :)

Gary.

14. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Gary,

I figured that you meant the 6200. It does seem a tad bright at 1700 lumens. The specs I've seen mention an eco mode but didn't put a figure to it. I reckon this one is going after the Z2 market.

Allan

15. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Allan,

Thanks for the exhibition address.

It seems to be more HiFi than HT, is that right. Do you think there will be many projectors on show.

Chris

16. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    Thanx for all the info guys.
    The main problem I have is the small size of my lounge in my flat. The projector can only go in one area which is about 10ft away. This way I get a 6ft wide 16:9 image. I think I could just about manage that with the sanyoz2 or the panny ae500, but the throw of the sim20 is too long (or is it?).
    Having said that, the sim20 is miles better than the z1 or ae300.
    I'm also going to hook up my pal progressive Jamo dvr50 dvd player via component and ps2 via s-video.

The ae500 makes economical sense, but the stunning pictures of the sim20 are VERY tempting....

PS (great piccies IanW - Thanx)

17. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Gaffer,

The Domino 20 does have a very long throw lens, however, it does have a fair amount of zoom also. I wanted the PJ behind us and in a 21ft long room you need a long throw. But mainly we went for it due to the amazing performance.

Ian.

18. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Chris,

I couldn't tell you to be honest if you'll find many projector demo's at the Northern Show. I suspect a few but not many. SIM2 will be there for sure. It's main focus seems to be HiFi though.

Allan

19. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Allan

20. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll just throw my opinion into the hat :)

I'm not a PJ expert ... and was looking for my first PJ recently.

Over the past few months I have seen a number of LCD and DLP units in good demo situations. This includes a number of the Panasonics, Hitachi PJ-TX10, Sony HS20, Infocus screenplay 5700 and Domino 20.

Obviously it all depends on how much you have to spend etc...

But if I had 3 grand to spend on this I would buy the HS20, good budget DVD player and a nice electric screen.

If you must have a DLP... please consider the 5700. It uses the same chipset as the Domino, has a similar spec and is 750 quid cheaper. Picture wise it is just as good although it is brighter (maybe needs a bit more tweaking than the Domino).

Just my opinions

:)

Doc

21. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit late but...

The Z2 has optical lens shift (vertical and horizontal) - this is far superior to the AE500's digitial keystone.

-- Jon

22. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Doc,

I had the HS20 on my list as well as the Benq 8700. Had thought about the INFOCUS but too long a throw.

But good to hear a guy who just enjoyed the pic without giving us a Physics lesson.

Cheers

Chris

23. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17

24. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the post Jeff,

I appreciate your comments, I have seen the Domino and enjoyed the viewing but I also enjoyed the viewing on the HS20 as well.

It is interesting to see what you guys chat about on here. I wonder if the techies amongst you actually watch and enjoy the movie or just analyse the the technicalities of the picture.

I wouldnt know what to look for. I see a picture and I enjoy it that's it period.

Ive just been to the cinema to watch Runaway Jury, which was an excellent movie but the Picture isn't perfect and neither was the sound that came out of the front speaker. I still enjoyed it.

I am new to all this and I am just trying to put together a good setup - but some chaps will have you believe that your kit will never be good enough and it's a bit daunting at times for a newbie.

At the end of the day the watchability of an HS20 and a Domino was very little and it certainly wasn't £1700 worth, for a guy who watches a film through his eyes rather than using an oscilloscope.

Chris

25. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Chris,

I hear what you are saying.
    Before I started my a/v business I worked on feature films in the camera dept. starting off as a 2nd asst. cameraman then a 1st asst cameraman, then a camera operator and finally cameraman.
    I have a passion for films and watch several each week with my better half.
    I have never used an oscilloscope and always judge picture quality by eye. Remember I am used to seeing Rushes or Dailies the day after we shot them on the finest 35mm projectors ever made so I have had the priviledge of seeing film material at its very best, seeing a print off of the original negative.
    For someone with my knowledge and experience in film making, believe me, there is definitely £1700 worth of difference between this LCD and DLP projector.

26. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Jeff,

Sorry about what seemed like a rant. It wasn't meant to be, after I read it back last night I thought oops, must of been having a bad day.

Just a shame the throw distance is too long on the Domino for me. I have a throw of about 10' and would like a screen of about 5'. Any ideas for a decent PJ? I would and do appreciate your comments and advice.

Glad to see you are a true movie buff.

Thanks

Chris

27. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Chris,

The Domino 20 will give you a maximum image width of 54.5" with a 10 foot throw and the Domino 30 will give you 66.5".

Hope this helps

Jeff

28. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jeff,

That is too small unfortunately (Domino 20), I don't want to spend that much on a PJ (Domino 30) can you recommend anything else around the Domino 20 price range.

I was thinking about the NEC 1000/1100 - (Your thoughts please).

Chris

29. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Chris,

Being restricted by throw distance I have the same problem as you being able to get a large enough image size. I've decided to go for an HT1100 which will be projecting onto a screen 70" wide from a throw distance of 9ft.

My projector arrives tomorrow. We are both in the North East, when its all set up you are welcome to see the results.

Allan

30. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Chris,

As I specialize in Sim2 projectors, I am not that familiar with the HT1100 but Allan Probin has made you a good offer in the above post.

Jeff