1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domino Rear Pro TVs

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pipcat, Sep 16, 2004.

1. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Anyone know anything about the new Domino Rear Projection TVs?

I have seen the blurb on the SIM2 web site, but would be interested if anyone has seen one.

Up till now I have been leaning towards the Loewe 55" Articos, but the Domino looks interesting.

2. Dellboy

Dellboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    My dealer down here in the south west has just ditched his Pioneer plasma for the new Sim2 rear pro tv.

Apparently the picture quality is to die for.

It would be worth checking out.

3. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dellboy

Do you know if this is the (very expensive) SIM2 RTX or the (about 1/2 the price but still quite expensive!) Domino?

4. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Pipcat,

Both the new Domino RP and the RTX have stunning picture quality, I've seen both in 55" form but not side by side. I'm pretty sure both were via component input, the RTX from Pioneer 868 (RTX) and the Domino from a high-end Denon player (may have been the A1). Both provide very natural, "film-like" images. They are the only screens I've seen that are obviously, clearly much, much better than my 8 year old 4:3 pre-flatscreen Sony Trinitron.

For me, both are far better than the best Plasmas I've seen which are Pioneer 504 from Pioneer 868 via the digital interface (HDMI?), and Panasonic 42" HD from Denon 2900. I thought both of these were good until I saw an RTX a few days later.

The major differences between the Sim2 models appear to be that the RTX has better optics and better connectivity. There is no DVI on the Domino, for instance. Also note that the RTX has no audio. I finally decided on the RTX, all being well I should have it next Wednesday. I'd also be happy with the picture on the Domino, though, it's gorgeous; apparently you can see the improvement on the RTX, which is as it should be given the significant price difference!

You should get a demonstration if at all possible before buying anything else.

Paul

5. Dellboy

Dellboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Hi Pipcat

Its the RTX that he is so over the moon with. I hoping to have a demo over the weekend work permitting. I've been with this dealer for about 20 years and his recommendations have alway been spot on, but I would reiterate what Pavel has stated and go see a demonstration. I'm sure you won't regret it.

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    We have the domino 45 on demonstration in our store (Sevenoaks Edinburgh) and it looks stunning. All the plasma screens look grainy by comparison.

7. NinjaBrewCommando

NinjaBrewCommando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am going through a lengthy evaluation process (to culminate in a wallet-slaying upgrade purchase early next year:eek: ) and have been looking at the various display options available. Yep, all of them - no technology has been ruled out.

I was in Germany last week and stayed in a hotel next to a cool HiFi shop called HiFiProfis. They had all sorts of HiFi/AV stuf, including lots of Loewe and Sim2 displays. I saw an RTX 45 and a Domino 45 side by side fed with the same HiDef material (1080 fed via component). I have to say that I was blown away by the clarity and depth of the image on both displays. I have seen plenty of HiDef demos in the USA on a variety of RPTV/plasmas and I haven't seen one yet that impressed me like the Sim2s. Before these, I hadn't been that impressed by an image since I saw a Panasonic 36PD30 CRT set (which I still think has an amazing picture). The RTX had the better picture, but the differences were not major - in the short time I had, I had to really look and study details to mark out the differences. I would certainly be happy with a Domino and not be thinking 'if I only had an RTX...' all the time.

We saw a Sony plasma (not sure of model number) fed with the same material and although it was very nice, there wasn't anywhere near the image depth and detail and it really looked in a lower class altogether.

I wanted to see the same material on a Pioneer 434/504, but they didn't have one they could hook up in time. I have previously seen a Pioneer 434 and a 504 fed with a component image and also HDMI from an 868 and although it was reasonably good, it could not compare in any way to the Domino. I still don't think plasma image quality is good enough. Maybe ok for some TV viewing, but definitley not for movies where the whole experience matters.

The Domino set itself looked really nice - very good build quality etc. but the connections are limited to component at best, although it at least has a VGA interface. Didn't like the physical look of the RTX as much though - the design will look dated long before the Domino will. For me, the main benefits of the plasmas are that you can hang them on the wall and they have very wide viewing angles, although the Domino is very slim though and doesn't take up that much room. I was impressed by how svelte such a large RPTV looked.

The thing that I didn't like was the poor viewing angle. The Domino was on a low stand (as shown in the brochure) and even stood about 10ft away, I had to bend down to get a bright image. Even stood only slightly to the side, it wasn't so good. For viewing movies where you are sat in a fixed position for a set amount of time, this wouldn't be a problem, as you can position it ideally. It's the rest of the time that it would bother me during general viewing when I'm not necessarily sat in the ideal viewing position.

I have been very impressed with Sim2 products as a whole. I'm trying to look at as many technologies as I can before I make any sort of purchase decision, but at the back of my mind, I can't help thinking that I may end up with maybe a 36"CRT for daytime/general viewing and a Sim2 (poss Domino 30H) projector for movies/events/etc. Then of course I have to decide whether to use a HTPC or HDMI DVD player...the list goes on...

Whatever, I know that if I thought I could live with the viewing angle restrictions, I'd have confidence shelling out for the Domino 45/55 on the strength of its great picture quality.

Neil.

8. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting analysis Ninja!

My local HiFi / Home Cinema shop is having a special event this weekend, and have invited Sim2, Barco etc. to show off their stuff. I have arranged for a special private viewing time with the express purpose of comparing picture quality between the Domino 44 or 55 and the Loewe Articos 55 (same price class).

Also maybe interesting for you guys out there: They are planning to offer the Sim2 44 RTX at a special low price - this is because of the new version due out soon (with the new DLP chip). Estimation is that the price will be around €8K (down from the RRP of €12K).

9. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further info... My dealer has just been checking with SIM2 about main differences between the Domino 44 and SIM2 RTX44 (I was asking about why the RTX is twice the price of the Domino despite having similar specs):
    - Both use same chipset (HD2)
    - Different DCDi (Farouja)
    - Separate connection box with fibre optic link on the RTX
    - Light engine different
    - RTX incorporates stand
    - and, of course the RTX has no sound

10. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Is there any imminent replacement for the RTX 55 rear-pro?

11. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MJ

Yes, the RTX 55 H. This uses the HD2+ chip and has contrast >2300:1. Visually looks the same basic design, although apparantly with reduced depth.

For more details see the sim2 web site