1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domino picture settings

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nuno Santos, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Does anyone know what the "Filter" setting does exactly? It seems to affect the sharpness of the image (as mentioned on on the manual), but I can't quite figure if I'm doing more harm than good. How are your settings?

Does the Overscan setting affects the deinterlacing and/or scaling performance of the projector or are non related?

NS

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sharpness and Filter settings both have an effect on picture sharpness. As far as I know the Sharpness setting works within the analogue circuitry whereas the Filter setting is in the digital cicuitry within the projector.
    The factory defaults are 4 and 4 which is too high.
    A good test pattern to check these settings is tha Avia Widescreen Enhanced Resolution Pattern where you will see a lot of white edge enhancement that will diminish if you back off both settings by a couple of points.
    Remember, if the sharpness settings are too high you will be addding information (edge enhancement) that was not present in the original material.

The Overscan adjustment should have no effect on deinterlacing or scaling performance.

Jeff :rtfm:

3. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you Jeff, for your help.

I did some testing with DVE's sharpness pattern and concluded that the Sharpness control had a worse effect on the picture's edge enhancement than the filter control. I ended up with 2 on Sharpness and 4 on Filter.

NS