1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domino D30H or HT300-XTRA ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rolski, Jan 7, 2005.

1. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I currently own a Sim2 HT280-DM & have been given the opportunity by my local dealer of upgrading (for the same price) to a slightly-used (shop demo) HT300-XTRA, or a brand-new Domino D30H.

Looking at the specs, there's nothing between them, apart from the mysterious "improved optics" on the HT300, and of course the HDMI HDCP-compliant connections on the D30H.

Current bugbears with my HT280-DM are wheel / fan-noise (perhaps I sit too close, but I've no other option - it's mounted on the rear wall of my lounge, on a shelf near the ceiling), a slight flickering of the picture with some DVD's, and the overall resolution's a little too "pixely" for my liking.

I'm currently using a 15m component cable, although I could probably get away with a 10m digital cable. I've a 2m wide 16:9 screen, and sit about 4m away from it.
    Thinking to the future, I will probably be implementing HD through SKY as soon as it becomes available, and I'll be playing it all through my TMA DVD32R-PSM192 + AV32R-DP.

Any comments on which would be the better one to go for ?

2. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I take it from the silence that either everyone's bored with answering this question (if so, please please tell me the answer !), or you're all living-it-up at CES....?!

Seems to me now that the D30 & the HT300-XTRA are pretty identical, and so therefore are the D30H & the HT300-XTRA-H.
    A close comparison of the specs from the Sim2 website doesn't give any clues as to the justification for the price difference at all - so what am I missing in my logic ?

3. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Rolski,

You are right, the one to go for is the Domino30H as the benefit of HD2+ and HDMI outweigh the other tweeks on the Xtra.

Regards

Alan Roser
    SIM2 UK Ltd

4. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Alan,
    Thanks for the reply. I think my mind is 99% made up to go for the Domino D30H now, apologies that it won't be bought through Sim2 UK !

I'm still not sure what the other tweaks that separate the HT300-XTRA from the D30H are though. Optics ? Adjustability ? Remote ? Funkier housing...?!

5. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have just taken delivery of my Domino 30H - first impressions are that it knocks my old HT280-DM into the middle of next week....

The picture is initially quite superb (not sure when the euphoria will abate !) through DVI-HDMI (15m cable supplied by Monitor : Matrix S-1).
    Compared to the Component cable I have (same length, same manufacturer) some back-to-back tests appear to show no real discernible difference.

Question - how can I be sure that the D30H has a HD2+ chip in it, and not the older HD2 ?

6. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    What is the serial Number?

Regards

Alan Roser
    SIM2 UK Ltd

7. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Alan,
    I've sent you a PM with the details.

8. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Alan,
    Thanks for the reply - am now sitting pretty with my D30H, but now wondering if I should increase my screen from 2.0m to 2.5m wide - because the picture is so good !

9. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    rolski

If your viewing distance allows for a 2.5m screen, go for it :thumbsup:

We demonstrate the Domino 30H and the HT300E on a 2.65m screen and the picture is outstanding, especially with High Def material.

Jeff :rtfm:

10. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    rolski,

Was your comparison done with the TAG's interlaced or progressive output? Do you find any differences between the DCDi on the Sim2 and the Silicone Image 504 chip on the TAG at deinterlacing the picture?

Best regards,

NS

11. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nuno,
    I ran both the projectors through the TAG's progressive output - the HT280DM through component & the D30H through DVI/HDMI.

To be honest, I've not bothered to try the Sim2's de-interlacer, basically because all I've read (and I've done a lot of reading !) so far is that the TAG's board is exceptionally good, but I've often wondered if the difference is distinguishable.

However, one shouldn't believe everything one reads, and as I've seen no technical data comparing the two - only subjective opinions, perhaps I should sit down one evening & run some comparisons.
    Unfortunately, the HT280DM's now gone back to my local dealer & the D30H sits in pride-of-place, but this will of course shorten the test-time.

Whichever method I finally settle for though (DVI/HDMI at the moment because of convenience), the combination of TAG & D30H does produce a quite stunning picture....

12. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    rolski,

Thank you for your reply. I own a TAG DVD32R and a D20H. I thought about purchasing the PSM card for my DVD, but it costs about £2000 over here which is too much for what it does. I've been also considering an external scaler, but I wont have the oportunity to test the Sil504 chip, unless I borrow a DVD32R with the PSM board.
    I suspect that the DCDi might no be as good as the Sil504, but have yet to confirm.

I also find the TAG+Domino to be an amazing combination. Sim2 do make extraordinary products, and we should enjoy it!

Cheers,

NS

13. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    NS

It is nce to read how much our customers are enjoying their SIM2 projectors.

FYI, it is my opinion that the Silicon Image 504 has the edge over Faroudja regarding PAL material. Wth NTSC there is little difference.

Regards

Alan Roser
    SIM2 UK Ltd