1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domino and Benq

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Parmenion, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hello there,
    I recently had the opportunity to see a Benq 8700 (well the Runco version anyway ! ).

On the same day, after a car journey, I then got to see the Domino 20. What I would really like is to be able to see the two pj's side by side and confirm what I think I saw first time round.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a demo of these two side by side? Willing to travel !

regards

Parmenion

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    What are your initial thoughts though?

3. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I too would like to know your thoughts on the Benq 8700 as this looking to be my next upgrade, from what I've it seems like a first class pj.

Does anyone have any idea when the Benq 8710 will hit the streets?
    HD2+ seven seg colour wheel :D

4. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well to answer your questions......I spent a long time researching projectors and decided that of the current crop, these two seemed to fit the bill. The Toshiba MT8/ Infocus made it a list of three for a while but eventually got knocked out of the running.

My favourite before seeing them in action was the Benq. I really liked the rectangular low profile look as I would like to mount a projector as flat to the ceiling as possible. It also didn,t hurt that the Benq has DVI and in it's Runco guise is selling for 11000 pounds. (Available for just over 3000 pounds) whereas the Domino, although very reasonably priced, is a 3750 pound pj selling for...................3750 pounds.

I watched the Benq/Runco at a well known dealers in a purpose built HC room. The source was a Denon DVD player (The 11?) The screen was a Stewart, about 8 ft. The result.......it was a great picture with masses of colour, as sharp and defined as you could wish for. My lasting impression was of the 3D qualities of the image. There was a very real sense of depth to the picture. The only downer was the fan noise which I was conscious of.

Later that day at a different dealers, again in a dedicated room I watched a Meridian DVD player feed the Sim Domino 20. This time the projector was shelf mounted just behind my head and was effectively silent. I don't like the look of the Domino very much but then something great happened. I watched a section of Daredevil. It was a scene where Ben Affleck fights a woman. As soon as the dvd chapter started I saw Ben Affleck's dark glasses..........sorry did I say dark. What I meant was BLACK. I now understand all the stuff I've been reading about Blacks looking grey and crushed blacks etc.
    For the next 10 mins I missed a great action scene and watched a a pair of dark glasses. It was a fantastic picture with all the advantages of the Benq but with such terrifics BLACKS !

It really made a difference.

regards

Parmenion

5. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Parmenion,

If you appreciate terrific blacks and plan on using DVI over the lifetime of your projector you might want to also consider the new NEC HT1100.

Similar to the HT1000 but slightly brighter, better CR and 6 segment, 5 speed colour wheel. About the same price as the BenQ and about £500 cheaper than the SIM. I've ordered one today, should get it next week.

Allan

6. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Allan, isn't the NEC a 4:3 projector? or have I blown a fuse !

regards

Parmenion

7. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Parmenion,

You are quite right, the HT1100 is a 4:3 projector. The resolution is 1024x768. The SIM Domino 20 that you looked at is 1024x576. So the NEC is the same resolution as the SIM but with extra pixels above and below the image.

I'm planning to take advantage of those extra pixels by using them as a virtual lens shift - mounting the projector tight to the ceiling and sliding the 16:9 image up and down the 4:3 ratio DMD chip to make it fit the fixed position of my 16:9 screen. This ability to slide the image up and down is a feature available via the projectors scaler or I can do the same thing in TheaterTek.

The light spill from the unused areas of the chip is very slight and will be absorbed in masking.

Allan