1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domino 30H Picture

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Marko77, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Marko77

Marko77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

I just bought a SIM2 Domino 30H.
    Due to the fact that I haven´t got my new DVD Player (I want to buy the Panasonic S97), I connected the Beamer via S-VHS with my YAMAHA S520. I also use the SVHS for a digital satelite receiver.

When I watch films, I sometimes realize bad "calculated" pictures - like when there´s a line in the back, it has a "stair"-effect (don´t know how to explain it differently).

I thought the Faroudja-Chip can handle a non-progressive signal, but this doesn´t look the way I hoped.

Will it get better, when I use a YUV-connection, or is there a problem with my Domino?? :rolleyes:

Any ideas - thanx a lot!! :lease:

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Marko77

Welcome to the Sim2 Forum.

Check you have the Cinema Mode set to Auto in the Picture Settings page of the Menu. Also with some equipment, the Video Type may give better results set to VCR1.

Component will give you a better image than S-Video and HDMI will give you the best image of all as the signal stays in the digital domain throughout.

Jeff :rtfm:

3. Marko77

Marko77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,
    thnx for the reply.
    Actually I set it to AUTO - will try the VCR1-thing too.
    Real problems appear, when I watch satelite - some pictures appear like the interlacer isn´t working properly - especially when there are some TV-channel-made pictures, the SIM2 doesn´t recognize the signal correct, I suppose.

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Marko77

It could be that some of the channels you are watching are using a low bit rate.
    If some channels are OK that's probably what's happening.

5. Marko77

Marko77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh - ok. This could be an explenation - but I´m still wondering why the interlacing is working so bad - or is this caused from this bad bitrate and the Faroudja-Chip has no chance to smooth the picture?

6. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If the bit rate of the broadcast is very low like it is on a lot of European free to air sat. channels there isn't much you can do to improve the picture, except watch it on a small TV :)

7. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Marko77

BTW

If you are watching video material (as opposed to film) on your sat. channels it's worth experimenting with the Cinema Mode. It may look better with it turned off.

8. Marko77

Marko77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again - tried different modes - no real change happened... watched a film on sat last night ... lots of blurred pictures, and after a sudden it changes to normal and then back to blur. Not really satisfying... should I invest in a better receiver with yuv-output? ... I still have this bad feeling ´bout the interlacer in the projector ... maybe somebody could rub out my fellings !???

9. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    YUV will obviously give you a better image than S-Vid.

I'm curious, how does DVD look via S-Vid ?

Jeff
    :rtfm:

10. Marko77

Marko77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well - actually the picture is quite o.k., but far away from brilliant. I think that´s based on two facts - YUV and the DVD Player itself.