1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domino 30H and Sky+ Connection

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cashdown, Jul 11, 2005.

1. cashdown

cashdown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just installed my new Domino 30H but have two problems.

First, running a Sky Plus scart output via a Keene Syncblaster RGB adaptor (all four switches in Up position with Green light) and Chord component cable (passing RGB) directly to the VGA input on the projector, I am getting no signal. The projector readily accepts an RGB signal via VGA from my PC.

Secondly the colours from my Arcam 79 via Chord HDMI seem somewhat weak (and not really usable during day time with ‘normal’ curtains closed ). (I have a Brilliant White Carada screen.) Are there any recommended settings for Brightness, Contrast etc controls (apart from the mid-points)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Check your Skybox is set to RGB as the default setting is PAL (composite) which may explain why you have no picture.

Re. settings, I would recommend getting a test DVD such as Video Essentials or Avia to make sure you have the basics settings of Black Level, White Level and Saturation correct.

Jeff

3. cashdown

cashdown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,
    Many thanks for suggestion on connection problem and thought you might be on to something there. However, have checked and video output on Sky+ is RGB and am still getting no signal. Any other thoughts? (Am close to pulling hair out.)

Re colours, have an old R1 Video Essentials disc and will try back-to-basics check as you suggest. Also maybe the projector needs to 'burn in' (??).

Really appreciate your help.

Colin

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Colin

If your PC works fine through the VGA input on your Domino 30H and you have checked that your Sky box is set to RGB then the problem must lie in the Syncblaster or your cabling.

Is there a reason you chose the Syncblaster over an RGB to YUV transcoder ?

Jeff

5. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Hi Cashdown,

you have set the Black box incorrectly from what I can tell. An RGB signal with no sync will not work, and I doubt RGB with sync on green will work into the VGA input (haven't actually tried though!). Note that RGB component is not the same as YUV/YPbPr/YCbCr which are generally referred to as "Component Video".

The black box will NOT convert the RGB signal into component (i.e. YPbPr). Keene do have RGB to YUV converters, although JS Technology ones are much better! The best bet for you to make use of what you already have is to set the black box to output RGBHV (i.e. horizontal and vertical sync, no sync on green) and use a 15 pin VGA lead to connect to the projector. A 3-core component cable does not have the necessary 5 connections to send this signal.

r.e. the HDMi connection. Default settings are never optimal since every setup is somewhat unique. I recommend using your DVE disc, and buying a PAL version to setup your PAL settings (which can be different).

6. cashdown

cashdown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,
    The reason for going the Syncblaster route was because I'm already using the Component Video input on the 30H for a DVD-R connection which works OK (plus HDMI connection for DVD player). The VGA route offered a 3rd way into the 30H to make Sky+ independent of DVD-R.

Colin

7. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Could you not switch component feeds through an a/v amp or processor ?

Jeff

8. cashdown

cashdown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam,

My understanding from my dealer and reading the Keene data sheet is that the Syncblaster is set up correctly (positive-going pulse outputs, addition of syncs to green signal off, horizontal (line) syncs selected, syncs removed from green signal; with mode switch out (green LED). However. I'm going to look into this further.

Your point about the 3-core cable not carrying an RGB signal is obviously fundamental and I have contacted Chord to try and verify this.

Many thanks for your help.

Colin

9. cashdown

cashdown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,

My 8-year old digital processsor is great for audio but very limited on video inputs/outputs (S-video only), so cannot use to run high-quality input to 30H.

Thanks again,
    Colin

10. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I think your dip switches are wrong. Switch two wants to be DOWN in order for it to be adding a sync into the green signal (where at the moment the sync exists on the composite signal which isn't output into a 3RCA lead). I imagine switch 3 wants to be DOWN as well. In fact switch 4 may do too!!

I've never used the black box, but at your current setting you are both removing sync from green and not adding sync to green (switches 2 and 4). When in actual fact its sync on green you want!!

11. cashdown

cashdown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff/Liam,

Did try revising the switches as Liam suggested but still no signal.

In discussion with Sim2 and Keene, my dealer has now arranged to substitute a SYNCBLASTER CABLE SCART TO 15 PIN HD SVGA (http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/codesearch.pl?SGB15 ) and will switch the cables next week. I have high hopes that this will fix the problem and achieve a high-quality connection.

Re the colours issue: at the same time as the above, a thorough colour calibration is planned. Out of the box, red seems rather lurid and other colours lack depth.

Will let you know progress (for your professional interest and the benefit of others).

Very many thanks for taking the time to help,

Colin

12. cashdown

cashdown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick update.

Synblaster cable delivered a signal from Sky+ to projector but unacceptably dim; also could not get any signal from Sony DVD-R using same cable. So have now given up on VGA route.

Switched to Keene Aptus converter plus component cable for Sky+ which works fine, and plan to use s-video lead for Sony DVD-R monitoring.

Colin