Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Domino 30 Brightness Prob?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by thedoc, Oct 11, 2004.

1. thedoc

thedoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my domino 30 for about ten months now, and it has clocked up 290 hours. I have it hooked up to VGA for PC work/presentations and feed it with component from my Denon 2800Mk2.

When watching movies lately I have started to notice that sometimes during scenes the picture drops in brightness for a while, then later (perhaps 2 - 10 minutes) the brightness picks up. The brightness change is quite subtle but distracts me when I notice it happen. I have checked the installation and all cables are ok, the DVD / player do not produce the same effect when played on my plasma, and the projector (ceiling hung - upside down on appropriate support) has 9.5cm clearance between the vent holes and the ceiling and I think should be cooling ok... The DVD is sending in PAL interlaced (15Khz) because I found the Denon's progressive scan too soft in comparison to the domino's farouja deinterlacer.

I've also double checked that brightness, contrast and colour are setup reasonably using digital video essentials (PAL).

Is there something wrong with the projector or is this something that happens "normally" anyway and I've just not noticed it before ? :confused:

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ian,

I would contact your dealer and get the unit back to Sim2 UK to be checked.

It could be a lamp/ballast issue.

Jeff :rtfm:

3. thedoc

thedoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might be of interest :

I noticed a thread from someone with a HT300+ where the owner had found a very similar problem and is using a Denon (albeit 3210, but noticed with 2900) DVD player, and it was thought that the dreaded macrovision pulses might have something to do with it...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1216039#post1216039

Having seen this I put a homegrown DVD into the player, a disc I know has no macrovision encoding and surprise, surprise the picture stays rock steady. I also played a known problem disc using my toshiba dvd recorder (rd-xs32), and while the picture isn't as good as the Denon (well it won't be compared to the denon I suppose) I don't get the problem.

I am beginning to think that my issue might be related to macrovision pulses somehow "upsetting" the projector. It seems interesting that when switching the projector on, or across to the Denon as a source it often will not lock on properly, with a vertical rolling screen resulting until I press auto with DVD player switched on. I had spoken to SIM2 technical about this problem, some time ago, and they commented it was the Denon's macrovision pulses which caused this problem. I wonder if Denon's "version" of macrovision pulses are more likely to "upset" a display than another brand ? SIM2 certainly seemed aware of the issue.

Has anyone else encountered this or got comments ?

I will try to use an alternative DVD player for now, seeing if I can reproduce the problem that way still, because if I can then as Jeff points out the lamp or lamp circuit probably is the cause.

If it seems to be only reproducable using the Denon 2800Mk2, do you think a projector firmware upgrade might be worth trying before I ditch my Denon ?

Ian

P.S -- Hmm, maybe I should have waited & got a Dom30 HDMI ...