1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domino 20H and Denon 3910 over HDMI, a few questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by superritschi, Jan 8, 2005.

1. superritschi

superritschi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo everyone,
    I have a Domino 20H connected to a Denon 3910 via HDMI. I only watch PAL-DVD. The Format is 576P.
    I must use the HDMI component output, because with HDMI RGB I have a green picture.What to you use for the Blacklevel, normal or enhanced ?
    When I use enhanced, the blacklevel and colours are really good, but after every time I restart the Denon i have to switch between normal and enhanced to get enhanced aktivated. With the normal setting, I think the colours have no punch !
    In the HDMI audio settings I have multi(normal). Now when I connect the optical audio output from the Domino to my Yamaha Receiver(with Dolby-Digital and DTS Decoder), I only have 2 chanal sound.
    What is wrong here, the Receiver( 3 Years old) have no HDCP, is this the case ? Do I really need HDCP to get a multichannel sound, or a new Firmware for the Denon(it has 6609-5) ?
    When that is true, witch output (multichanel) can I use from the Denon ?
    The receiver has no Denon link nor IEEE 1394.
    Thank you very much for your help.

Yours
    Richard

2. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Richard,

A number of things to clear up here and I will try explain what I think is happening.

1. Green Picture on HDMI RGB - There is a known bug on the HDMI output of the Denon and your player requires a software update and this will cure this problem you should have a chat with your dealer and they should be able to update your player.

2. On our own experience we would recommend using the Black level on HDMI to Normal and correctly adjust the brightness on the projector.

3. The HDMI audio settings have no effect on the optical output, enter the normal audio settings in the setup menu and make sure you are set to multi channel. HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection) has no effect on the audio side of HDMI, this is only relevant to he video content. CPPM (Content Protection for Pre-recorded Media) governs the audio side.

4. Your receiver is fine to receive DD & DTS as long as you have the Denon configured correctly - simply use the HDMI to feed the projector.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Alan Roser
    SIM2 UK Ltd

3. superritschi

superritschi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alan,
    thank you very much for your help !
    OK, I contact my seller because of update the Denon. He says there is no offizielle update out.
    In a german forum I find the update 6609-6 to update to the HDMI 1.1 Version. Now I was ably to make this update, but I still have this green picture with HDMI RGB.
    And now the audio side.
    Alan, I dont use the optical output from the Denon, I want use the optical output from my Domino 20H. In the manuel from the Domino you can read, the HDMI-signal were splitin an video and audio signal and then you can use this audio signal (optical output) to feed your receiver.
    So now what, can I use this audio output directly from my Domino 20H for multichanel output or not.
    By the way, the digital outputs(optical and coaxial) from the Denon works fine.

So my question is, when I connect the Denon via HDMI to the Domino 20H can I simply use the "optical audio output direct from the Domino" or have I use a digital output from the Denon ?
    Thanks a lot !!

Yours
    Richard

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Why dont you change the Denon from Outputting RGB to the other setting?
    (Y P R, or somthing like that and not use RGB which is more for a data displays)
    Also make sure the 3910 is set to display 0IRE from the pic adjust menu
    then set the HDMI to normal black level. for me this deliverd a very accurate pic which i though was excellent. Its sound to me you are also not calibrating the contrast and brightness levels on the projector properly.
    Get a copy of avia or digital video essentials and set the the levels correctly.
    Brightness will effect black level and contrast will effect white level. if they are too high they will wash colours out, taking that puch you describe away
    (i prefer vibrancy)

I would also route audio direct from the dvd player to the amp.

5. superritschi

superritschi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo gantley,
    thank you very much for your help.
    Bevor I have my domino, I had a NEC LT 150 for four years, connected to a good HTPC, nor DVD-player. I think I need just more time to find the right settings for the denon and the great domino.
    Yes I have the component setting for HDMI, put it to normal, make sure in the picture-setting the level is set to normal.
    Now with Avia I set brightness between 43 and 44, and contrast to 69.
    Colour temperatur to "medium", gamma to "video".
    Now the colours looks better...
    On the audio-side, I decide to go analog use the onboard 5.1 decoder from the Denon to feed the 6-channel input of the Yamaha Receiver. I think the Denon has the better decoder.
    OK, what do you think...?

Yours
    Richard

6. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Sounds like a job well done. It does take a little time to get a solid picture with vibrant colours but the tweaking is well worth it.

7. superritschi

superritschi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gandley,
    do you also have an answer to my thread "Format settings Domino 20H"
    I think the most SIM-projectors have the same settings for aspect.
    Thanks !!

Yours
    Richard