1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domino 20 pricing

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dither, Aug 5, 2004.

1. dither

dither

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been thinking about getting either a domino 20 or an infocus 5700... well I want the domino, but the 5700 was a bit cheaper, but I had pretty much decided to go with the domino.

Then today the price of the 5700 dropped to 2200 (rrp) or 2000 (street), which makes it a lot cheaper!

Does anyone know if the domino 20 is likely to get the same treatment sometime soon?

2. Slate8

Slate8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Domino 20 two weeks ago for £3,500 with free 6ft electric screen. I'm not aware of any planned price drops for the domino. Excellent projector though and well worth the cash!

Can't comment on the inFocus as I've never demoed it - but if money is your primary concern, it sounds as if it may be your best option.

3. dither

dither

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't say money is my primary concern. My primary concern is the mental anguish caused by buying something soon before a 25% price cut :rolleyes:

That's pretty sad isn't it?

BTW how do you find the noise level of the domino 20?

4. Slate8

Slate8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Domino 20's a little louder than my last projector, but it's not too bad. If you have the projector behind your seating area (which you may need to due to the long throw) it's really not noticeable.

I did have it mounded on the ceiling for a while, which does mean it's a little louder, but it still didn't distract me from the on-screen action.

It's worth noting that I work with pc's all day so don't really notice fan noise anyway (over exposure ;) ).

The Domino 20 has three fans on the base (2x~4" 1x~2.5") so if you stand the projector on a surface it does tend to muffle the sound somewhat.

5. dither

dither

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info - I'm planning on putting the projector upsidedown in a cupboard with a hole cut in the top of the cupbaord for the exhaust, so I'm not sure if that's going to muffle anything or not!

Now my next problem: it looks like I need to mail order the thing from the UK (I'm in Lisbon at the moment). My first mail to Sim2 asking about local dealers just got a reply saying someone called spiga was out of the office until the 26th, and my second email asking if maybe someone other than spiga could help me has got no response. The the only place I've found advertising Sim2 here not only didn't have any, but also wouldn't demo any projectors because they weren't connected up, but "maybe if I came back at the weekend they might be" :mad:

So, has anyone got any recommendations for UK mail order people that deal with Sim2 stuff? (I'd rather it was UK rather than anywhere else because the money is in my UK bank account and communications will be easier).

6. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    dither

If you are looking to save money you could do a lot worse than look in the classified section of this very forum. There's a Domino 20H (black) for sale at 25% less than retail. It's only done 185 hours and includes a few extras.

7. dither

dither

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the pointer, but I'd like to buy from a dealer - given the distance and amount of money a private sale seems a bit risky to me! Unless you'd consider sending the PJ before I sent the money... no I thought not :D

8. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I appreciate what you are saying. Just remember that when you hand over your hard earnt cash to your dealer.

Good luck. You will not be disappointed. :hiya:

9. dither

dither

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who said my cash was hard earned? :rotfl:

Don't worry I will remember you when I am handing my cash over. That is if I ever find a dealer - maybe some dealers would like to recommend themselves? :D

10. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    dither

You have a PM

Jeff :rtfm:

11. dither

dither

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you all know how the story ended... I bought the Domino 20 (from Jeff), and it's stunning!

The only thing I'd say against it is that it is noisier than I'd like, but some strategically placed acoustic foam has tamed it a bit.

12. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    you'll love the sim2 - I've had my Sim DMF for over 2 years now and it just keeps on getting better the more i learn how to callibrate/tweak it. Using it with an HTPC playing Call of Duty is soooo cool :)

CaM

13. Slate8

Slate8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll second that. I play Call of Duty on my Domino 20 far too much, and it kicks ass! Can still only get my Domino to display 960x530 instead of the native 1024x576 though :confused:

What res do you run COD at cameronl?

14. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Slate 8,

remind me which s/w version you are running.

The latest is 2.35.05 for the standard 20

send me an email at: projectors@eurobell.co.uk if you want me to send it

Jeff :rtfm:

15. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    do you change the config file to accept that resolution and set it as read only?

If you do that you can always use it either on the projector or just change the resolution in game to suit your computer monitor when you are playing it that way.

I take it your HTPC is configured properly to diplay 1024*576 on pixel by pixel setting?

sorry to hijack the thread abit but do you play on a server where there are friendly people by any chance because i seem to find servers with 8 years olds saying 'you gay noob'.... :)

CaM

16. Slate8

Slate8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RTFM, My software version currently reads: 2.35.05 F (JPN) (021). It's a Standard Domino 20 (not HDMI)

cameronl, I Usually just change the resoultion in the game. I've never been able to display 1024x576 (windows or game) on my projector, but it displays fine on an LCD or CRT screen. RTFM's been a great help when I was playing around with PowerSrtip, but alas I'm still not having any luck.

I've never played COD online so can't help you out with the server side of things I'm afraid.

17. cinesom

cinesom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sim2 can be bought in Lisbon. Call Videoacoustica on 214241770 and they will put you intoch with their nearest dealer