1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domino 18 or Domino 18H which is it?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by foghorn, Dec 11, 2004.

1. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I am getting confused on the Sim2 international site they refer to the Domino18, however on the Sim2 USA site they refer to the Domino 18H.

Domino 18 does not have HDMI

Domino 18H has HDMI

Are there two models?

Foghorn

2. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    In a word yes, Domino 18H is available in the US via a different distribution network.

It is not available in Europe. The Domino 20H is the one to consider.

Regards

Alan Roser
    SIM2 UK Ltd

3. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks for the reply Alan.

On the US site they are marketing the 18H and the 20H, the specification appears to be the same, do you know if differences exist, if not why market them both?

I was informed that in order to achieve the lower price for the Domino 18, Sim2 had not only removed the HDMI connection but also made some other internal modifications.

If true would this mean that the original Domino 20 has a slightly higher Spec to the Domino 18?

Thanks Foghorn

4. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The distribution policy is somewhat different in the US.

There are technical differences between the Domino 18H and the 20H, I understand that the 18 is sold via a network of distributors wheresas the Domino 20 and others are mainly available through CEDIA & custom installers.

The UK is very different to the US (not just size) when it comes to distribution of consumer electronics.

Regards

Alan Roser
    SIM2 UK Ltd

5. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have seen the 20 and 20H both excellent projectors.

When I visited the Sim2 room at the recent Scottish hifi exhibition I wish I had asked to see the 18 fired up.

I guess what I am wondering is, if the 20/20H and 18 were compared using the component connection which projector would give the better image in your opinion?

Foghorn

Ps I have to congratulate you on the set up of the HT300 E-LINK at the show it was in my opinion the best image I have seen from a projector, and that included the HT500 LINK shown in the kef room.

6. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You can slide a very thin piece of paper between the two concerning the picture quality. The 20H is a lot quieter, has a nicer cabinet finish etc..

We are very proud of the HT300 Evolution series, the latest DC3 chip has made noticable improvemnts in black level, but it is the combination of the two systems - DC3 and the new SIM2 designed Live Colours Management software that has made a huge difference.

One thing that is often overlooked is the SIM2 light engine, it is a wonderful piece of optical engineering and in my opinion (biased I know) gives the best performance of any single chip projector. It is very efficient - all from a 120 watt lamp - there are a number of posts on the AVS forum where they have compared the 300 EVO against one equipped with a 250watt lamp and quote the image is as bright but has superior contrast and black level.

Next time you audition a projector, take a close look at the screen and see how well the lens performs with focus uniformity - you may be surprised. We are renowned for having the sharpest image in the industry.

The projector in the KEF room at the recent Scottish HiFi Show was our new HD2+ equipped HT500 E-Link 3 chip projector projecting on a 9ft wide Da-lite matt white screen. The choice of material KEF chose to play was of course designed to show off their wonderful speaker systems. Unfortunately, not all the clips selected were at the cutting edge of video quality, and the nature of 3 chip technology and SIM2 signal processing means garbage in, garbage out.

Beleive me, when you see the HT500 E-LINK with the very latest DVD releases and of course HDTV, it is awesome!!

Regards

Alan Roser
    SIM2 UK Ltd

7. XyZ

XyZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    XyZ,

asdads?

Foghorn

9. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Looks like some form of encrypted code :D :D :D

10. mpauline

mpauline
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What are the technical differences because there certainly is a price difference here in Canada between the Domino 18 and the 20. Wondering if the introduction of the Domino 18 indicates that the 20 is about to be replaced with a new model. Perhaps one with higher resolution. I am trying to decide whether to purchase the Domino 20 or wait for something like the 30 which is HD compatible.

Regards,

Mark

11. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Mark,

As I mentioned earlier the Domino 18 was introduced mainly for the US distribution market - there are differneces in colour wheel, electronics and asthetics.

The Domino 30 should be the one to audition if HDTV is your prority or better still take a look at the HT300 Evolution.

Regards

Alan Roser
    SIM2 UK Ltd