Dominic Cummings threatens to exact revenge on Boris Johnson by revealing document on Covid strategy

4loco

I doubt he cares about that tbh. Plus he was the one who won the Brexit referendum, those who wanted that to happen will welcome Cummings with open arms.

Well if you wanted to destroy the UK, first you'd sever it's ties to the EU. Expose the gripes between all 4 nations with a culture war, then you'd attack the UK Government with leaked messages and other data. Then you'd move onto breaking the Union. Thus taking the UK out as being a major player without having to fire a single shot. And whatever's left of the City of London can then be used to launder money with impunity.

Cummings might be a double agent for Russia or he might just be as somebody said on twitter a chaos goblin. In any case, the Tory Party has compromised itself by accepting donations from Russian Oligarchs, who have to keep Putin happy in order to stay alive. I expect Boris Johnson's jaunt to Italy to party with his Russian Oligarch friend without any security with him, likely means the Kremlin has kompromat on Johnson.

Someone else was working with Boris before Boris became our Leader - Cummings didn't join Boris until later.

But Cummings did lead us toward the herds of unicorns running free on the sunlit uplands.

i36iifzw18p01.jpg

from reddit

Last edited:

maddy

Distinguished Member
I posted this last year in one of the Covid threads, but it's worth watching again now for background to what Cummings was trying to do in No 10 before the pandemic started:

I'm currently reading:
Amazon product
Which is full of examples of dysfunction and innate inadequacies in the institutions of government, from Blair all the way through to May, and the resistance to do anything about improving outcomes from those same institutions.

Cummings has banged on for years about how much better they should be and in the video talks through some of the issues and proposes how improvements could be made.

Covid has shown how sclerotic these institutions are.

4loco

I posted this last year in one of the Covid threads, but it's worth watching again now for background to what Cummings was trying to do in No 10 before the pandemic started:

I'm currently reading:
Amazon product
Which is full of examples of dysfunction and innate inadequacies in the institutions of government, from Blair all the way through to May, and the resistance to do anything about improving outcomes from those same institutions.

Cummings has banged on for years about how much better they should be and in the video talks through some of the issues and proposes how improvements could be made.

He's very poor at getting his message across - unless his message is - if you can't get my message from me flinging all these bits and pieces into the air at you, then you're stupider than me.

It is known that Government hasn't moved with the times and has a lot of inefficiency.
The solution would be to have a well designed and trained Civil Service etc. - so there is a permanent staff who are experts in their field.
I know some Civil Servants who are very competent people.

There is a lot of inertia due to the design of the political system and the Political Parties - who are not first and foremost trying to do what is best for the people of the UK, but put themselves and their Party first.

The various departments, such as the NHS could be made more efficient and they have often tried to do so, but Governments have been very poor at that too.

In Germany, they tend to appoint more engineers to run technical companies and in the UK it tends toward administrators. Germany usually runs more efficiently than the UK - in general. Angela Merkel is a Physicist, Boris is a writer.

Like Cummings, I'm throwing a lot of bits in the air. That doesn't mean I have a practical, realistic stage by stage process that can be followed to correct all the inefficiencies.

Last edited:

Xenomorph

Distinguished Member
He's very poor at getting his message across - unless his message is - if you can't get my message from me flinging all these bits and pieces into the air at you, then you're stupider than me.

Just watched the first 6 mins of that. I might watch more if I get extremely bored.

D

Deleted member 898080

I'm currently reading:
Amazon product

What I see is a man taking advantage of a failed system for his own benefit. We need new systems but not from a proven liar who’s only interest is to con people into believing that he is so clever he has all the answers. The only way forward in my opinion is to become more democratic and I can only see that coming from the Labour Party which is questioning itself about these issues. There will be big changes and Cummings has no part in that. He will never bring anything good anywhere other than destroy the Tory party IMO.

maddy

Distinguished Member
The only way forward in my opinion is to become more democratic and I can only see that coming from the Labour Party which is questioning itself about these issues.
What does "more democratic" mean in practice and how does that improve outcomes from the Civil Service?

D

Deleted member 898080

What does "more democratic" mean in practice and how does that improve outcomes from the Civil Service?
Democracy is never ending IMO. There can never be enough human rights and as time evolves, we will acquire more. It’s a never ending challenge. The systems we have have to change to adapt to people’s needs. The whole political system needs to change. FPTP has to go as well as THOL’s. Politician’s have to change and only stand as people’s representative’s for their constituency.

There is no need for the huge civil service we have just need local civil servants for each constituency. If we need some big infrastructure just come to a consensus together. And so that means the end of political parties. That seems a long way off, but the shambles we have now will be the reason it happens in my opinion and will lead to those big changes. Cummings may well play a part in this but I doubt it’s the part he planned.

4loco

Personally I thought he was a stable genius

Rees Mogg claimed to be a good judge over Grenfell Towers and condemned those who died for lacking the common sense to reject the instructions of the Fire Department experts.

Last edited:

LakieLady

Clearing the Party of so much talent because they voted against a Hard Brexit has come back to haunt Johnson again and again. Then, as you say, only appointing pro Brexit supporters into Cabinet just compounded the poor performance,

That's the trouble with yes-men (and yes-women). They'll agree with him about anything, no matter how stupid or dangerous it is.

Reese Withouterspoon

Distinguished Member
Please tell me those are for sale somewhere? I really want one.
Similar... but the previous version had Cummings instead of Truss.

Panavision

Distinguished Member
Any Cummings and goings today? :D

What DM did was highly unprofessional. You never post private messages in public. Will anyone want to do business with him? if they do, they will be very careful not to criticise anyone on WhatsApp or any other messenger.

D

Deleted member 898080

I’ve come to the conclusion that Johnson is highly amused by Cummings behaviour. I find that Johnson has a very OTT sense of humour and doesn’t take many things serious. I think his father is the same and probably finds his son is very entertaining. Cummings comes from a different angle of bitterness and I don’t think he’s going to get the effect of his revelations he’s hoping for. Under a different leader it might bring down the government but I don’t think Johnson gives a crap. Many of us hoped Cummings would have an effect but now I don’t think so. I think it’s all down to voters now.

MrsArcanum

Distinguished Member
I’ve come to the conclusion that Johnson is highly amused by Cummings behaviour. I find that Johnson has a very OTT sense of humour and doesn’t take many things serious. I think his father is the same and probably finds his son is very entertaining. Cummings comes from a different angle of bitterness and I don’t think he’s going to get the effect of his revelations he’s hoping for. Under a different leader it might bring down the government but I don’t think Johnson gives a crap. Many of us hoped Cummings would have an effect but now I don’t think so. I think it’s all down to voters now.

Should not be forgotten that Cummings is actually friends with Gove, where he only worked for Johnson.

Everything Goes

Cummings did a Q&A on Only Fans sorry Substack today. Here are some highlights.

Highlights from Dominic Cummings' Q&A

Dominic Cummings is still responding to questions from subscribers on his Substack page, or at least he was until recently. (See 12.58pm.) To his credit, he has answered a lot of questions, and he is prepared to engage properly with his subscribers.

Have we learned anything much that’s new? Not particularly. Although he did not give a lot of media interviews, Cummings did set out his thinking about the world when he was not in government on his blog at great length (he says today he is re-reading War and Peace; it is not just its content that’s an inspiration, but its word count) and today we got a rehash. The quote posted at 12.58pm may be the best best summary so far. A lot of it is about the supposed uselessness of Westminster politicians and journalists; a related problem, as he sees it, because he thinks the former spend too much time worrying about the latter.

Cummings has said little of substance that is new about the Covid decision-making process in government. And he has generally avoided personal attacks; some invitations to comment on Carrie Johnson have been ignored.

But Cummings is never dull, and a lot of what he has to say is worth a read. Here are some of the other key points.

(Cummings’s replies are not written in formal English, but I have quoted them as published, apart from minor style changes, like removing or inserting capital letters.

Cummings said that, after the Tories won the 2019 general election, he wanted to put more expert non-MPs into the cabinet. This would be a move towards separating the executive from the legislature - a move that would amount to major constitutional upheaval. Cummings said:

Think crucial [thing] is separating people running things from the parliamentary pool - hopeless to pick people like [Matt] Hancock then ask questions about ‘running’ anything, it’s like asking me to be a professor of physics. Our constitution is flexible enough to do this as we showed putting [Kate] Bingham in charge of vaccines - the PM cd pick who they want, shove em in Lords if you want, there’s no constitutional requirement for ministers to be MPs.

The problem is MPs hate it cos they become MPs to get into cabinet. I intended to try a big move in this direction straight after election. Obviously Covid intervened though I think Boris wdn’t have dared do it anyway, at heart he believes in the system - after all, it made him PM so it must be great, right?!

Cummings said it was “reasonable” for people to ask why he devoted so much time to making Boris Johnson PM when he thought he was unsuitable for the job. He said he would write a proper answer to this separately.He said Labour should attack the government over its record on violent crime. Asked what the opposition should do, he said:

First thing is kick Tories up and down the street on violent crime.

But Starmer is fixated on media/bubble, he won’t re-orient to public.

He also said:

Yes Tories clearly failed cos their thinking is too tied to London consensus.

I’ve seen more stuff from senior LAB enmeshing themselves in trans childishness than on violent crime!

Cummings said he thought Brexit would reduce the chances of “hateful politics dominating”. In a passage about why he supported it, he said:

Brexit was a/ something I thought good for UK and Europe, b/ something that wd lower the chances of extreme disasters, hateful politics dominating (as has often happened in Europe), c/ wd force public and insiders to reflect on the system and force some change, d/ give me a chance, maybe, to hijack part of the system and bring in 1/ different sorts of people to change how decisions are done, 2/ focus resources/people on averting disasters, 3/ demonstrate that it’s possible to do politics/government while focusing on real problems not the media...

On some issues, Cummings has been remarkable prescient. But on Brexit and “hateful politics”, perhaps not ...

He said “Global Britain” was a “crap slogan” that meant nothing. Talking about Brexit, he said:

I never thought trade deals much important, one of the things I/the MPs argued about was they thought that was important, I didn’t. Hence all their Global Britain nonsense, a crap slogan that 5 years later still means nothing. But they love it and drawing arrows across the globe!

Much more important is procurement reform - dwarfs trade deals in econ importance, improving gvt, public services etc.

SW1 ignores cos they all want to prattle about ‘strategy’, not commercial and logistics issues that make a huge difference. hence why Whitehall blundered into Covid with a procurement system that killed people, just as I said it would years ago...

He said he hoped Brexit would change the “hideous” Conservative party. He said:

The Tory party is hideous obviously but that was part of the point of doing Brexit - to put a bomb under them all so they all have to change. And they are changing.

Not fast enough.

Crucial Q: how to accelerate the change/obliteration of existing parties...

Cummings’s definition of what made the old Conservative party “hideous” is probably not one shared by many of those criticising the party on those grounds now.

He said it was often hard to persuade Boris Johnson to ignore the media. He said:

Vote Leave won precisely because we did not orient to media but to our best guess of reality - and ditto we won the political game in 2019 for the same reason. But I have had near-zero success in persuading MPs of this! I screamed at the PM a few times - you’re only in this goddamn office BECAUSE WE DIDN’T FOLLOW THE BLOODY MEDIA WHY CAN’T YOU GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD??!

He just looked suspicious like I was trying to trick him into destroying himself and said ‘but we gotta keep the Telegraph happy, so tomorrow...’!

(The PM is a weird case though cos in elections he knows I’m right, he just cannot think like this when existential pressure is off!)

Cummings said he was worried about how fragile civilisation was, and alarmed at the quality of the leaders in charge of defending it. He said:

I’ve studied a lot of wars and disasters since a kid. I have had a strong sense since a teen of how fragile civilisation is.

Then I got involved in politics and like most people I assumed that people near the apex of power must be ‘serious’.

Then I discovered, bit by bit 1999-2001 that almost all of them are not just clueless, they aren’t even trying to figure things out or do things well and many of them are just totally fixated on status games in SW1, not helping people - and then I realised the system is so bad it’s hard to see how it cures itself.

That scared me a lot and still does and all experience since has confirmed this!

He said there should be a “revolving door” between the civil service and the private sector. He said all civil service jobs should be open to outsiders. When a reader said this could create the risk of a revolving door between the civil service and business, Cummings replied: “That’s not a risk, that’s the goal!”He said all the existing political parties were “rotten to the core, old decrepit entities literally dying on their feet”.He said studying Bismarck was the best way to understand politics. He said:

Studying Bismarck was the best help to understand what politics really is and how it’s possible to radically outperform - but also that you shd never ever expect anybody to say ‘oh I was wrong you were right’. In politics you never really know if what you’ve done is a mistake! And even very smart people struggle to escape fashion and gang mentality

And in another answer he said:

If you want to study effective action in politics there is no better case study than Bismarck.

He was playing a completely different game to everybody else and you can trace a lot of how he did it and how he thought in the record.

It’s also very depressing though - the world does not learn from effectiveness.

Also obviously you must separate effectiveness/ethics.

It wd have been better for the world if he’d been assassinated!

That he was most effective AND shd have been killed is a worrying conclusion...

Also he’s an example of why we shd fear AGI [artificial general intelligence]! Extreme intelligence/effectiveness is very very hard to control or understand in real time...

D

Deleted member 898080

^^^ That man wants to rule the world. A wheelbarrow full of nonsense without much understanding of politics IMO. The system definitely needs changing but certainly not his way.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Did he really think he could destroy then reinvent the system from the inside?

How on earth did he get to such a position of power and influence saying such stuff to these people? They are wedded to the Establishment and do everything in their power to support and maintain it.

He comes across as being very egotistical, just like many politicians.

Many of us have actually watched, "Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister", and recognise that even though it was satire there was a fundamental truth underpinning it all: that it's all about power games and jockeying for position, that the best people don't get the top jobs, that it's all about connections and secret, off-the-record meetings and yes, many people in expensive suits and posh accents really are clueless about what they're doing and the wider society.

Who knew?

MrsArcanum

Distinguished Member
D

Deleted member 898080

Dominic Cummings tried to bypass rules on £530,000 grant, leaked emails suggest​

"It was then followed by an email to Mr Gould from Mr Cummings stating: “Someone please ensure that they have the 530k within 24 hours from now and report back to me it’s been sent.

“No procurement, no lawyers, no meetings, no delay please – just send immediately.”

Labour deputy leader Angela Rayner said: “This Government under Boris Johnson’s leadership clearly think the rules do not apply to them.

“Time after time the Tories have shown a disdain for the rules and laws governing how taxpayers’ money is spent.

“Emergency suspension of procurement rules needs to end and due process must be followed.”

Check out the link. There are two points of interest here.

1. WTH voted for Cummings and gave him the right how tax payers money should be spent and issue orders to the civil service?

2. Look at what Angela Rayner pointed out "Emergency suspension of procurement rules"

So, any investigation into the government handling of the pandemic and how they used tax payers money (for their mates etc) is going to be covered up under Emergency suspension of procurement rules imo. If the Labour party don't make a big issue about this they deserve to be out in the cold. I think these emergency rules became a free for all with this government.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google launches Pixel 6 and 6 Pro smartphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces two new 3LCD laser projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ruark Audio R5 is Made In England collection launch product
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple unveils MacBook Pros for 2021