Domestically acceptable sub - what do you recommend?

lmccauley

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be auditioning a set of M&K S85 left, right & centre speakers this weekend, which means the next thing on my shopping list is likely to be a sub. I'm still considering a Paradigm Servo15, but was wondering if anyone could recommend anything a little less... how can I put this politely... flaming gigantic?

I'll be using it for music as well as movies, and a REL Storm or Strata is a possibility. Does anyone have experience of the M&K range?

Cheers,
Liam

Liam

I've recently tested the Rel Storm III and Strata III at home after returning my humming Q150, I found them both very good for Hifi and Cinema.

I bought the Strata as the Storm was a bit over powering for the size of my listening room.

I would recommend testing some at home, I found Sevenoaks in Peterborough very friendly and willing to lend me anything to test at home.

Eddie:)

I love my REL Storm, which I bought from Global HiFi. It is quite big itself, though, more tall than anything. If you are after a small sub, the B&W 2500 is very good although a little voiced choice. I listened to a V125 sub at SevenOaks which was good, but not a patch on the Storm III. Both SevenOaks and Global offered me home-dems of the subs that I was interested in, Global in particular offering plenty of advice.

Russell

Yeah, I'll certainly be getting home dems - looking for people's experiences to help draw up a short-list.

Thanks to Matt's suggestion in another thread, I currently have 2 cardboard boxes with a throw over them in the corner of the living room pretending to be a Servo15. It doesn't look too bad, but I'm snookered if that position doesn't sound good... :(

Tell you what, I now wish I'd snapped up that REL Storm that went for £150 on the classifieds forum.

Cheers,
Liam

The main option i can think of for a small sub is the M&K VX700, at around £1,595.

If you don't want to pay that much a apir of Vibe Alpha 1's (around 1 cubic foot each) costing £300 each would work very well.

Check out the MA range, should go very well with your fronts. Perhaps not the best sub in the world but rather small footprint and fast, tight bass (as far as I can judge), switchable between audio and video.

I've got an M&K VX-100. It's 'domestically acceptable' in that its tiny (12" x 14.5" x 11") and it performs well for movies and music.

RRP is about 850 quid.

John

Sorry to bombard you with choices, but Boston Acoustics have a very small sub available, called the PV-1000. This is a small sub which I have seen, about which I have heard good things (800w amp, 10" woofer). I haven't heard it myself, though, but it is worth considering if VX700's or REL StormIII's are within budget.

Boston Speaker Package with PV-1000

Boston Sub

Russell

I first had a Paradigm PDR10, then about a year ago upgraded to a Storm III. Got the Storm for £720 (in black) from Sevenoaks. I've also listened to a small M&K, can't remember which model (but sells for about £795). PDR 10 is small, and v. cheap, but only goes to 33Hz - roughly. the M&K is also v. small, but doesn't have hook up options of the REL. I use the Storm for music and cinema - excells at both! Refering to a recent post I submitted, the Storm will drop to about 17-18Hz (placed in a corner) with classical organ music - amazing.

I've ordered a Servo 15 and one of these days RS might actually deliver it - I'll let you know what I think when it does arrive...

Happy hunting!

Rob.

PS

The Strata III is reasonably small, and closed box, so it will integrate easier anywhere in the room, later get a second one if you think you need more bass and even better room integration...

aks to see boston micro 90s as well. these will blow away any mk speakers. and they are cheaper and better value. im still thinking about a sub though so if you hear a good one (apart from mk) please post your thinking

chompy

Liam,

I heard the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 at the Bristol Show and was quite impressed with it but it isn't in the same league as the things you are talking about.

They do make a Pro 100 which is a slightly bigger version with twin drivers and What Hifi (I think) tested it this month giving it five stars.

I think that Seveoaks are dealers so if you are going that way anyway put in on your short list for a listen. At best it will be a good buy, at worst you can report back your findings as I haven't seen another post on this model before.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom