Domestic & General

Discussion in 'Domestic White Goods Forum' started by jeremyw, Dec 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jeremyw

jeremyw
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my boiler under a service warranty with D&G for over ten years, a policy that cost over £300 a year. The policy states that they would pay for £1500 of repairs in any year, and it was made clear at the outset that if they judged the boiler to be beyond repair they would contribute that amount towards a replacement, less the cost of repairs in that year. In November the engineer contracted by them judged the boiler to be beyond repair, and after a couple of weeks i received a proposed settlement of £219. D&G have been evasive and contradictory in all our conversations since. Two people i spoke to confirmed the payout should be £1500 less the cost of repairs this year, which they claimed amounted to £1300. This was nonsense - i had one service (cost £65), and a non- repair where a valve costing a few pounds was replaced, but which failed to stop the loss of pressure on the system. The second engineer found another leak and condemned the boiler. I am refusing to accept the payout offered which i consider to be derisory and fraudulent, and urge anybody considering a service contract or any form of appliance warranty with D&G to forget it - their contracts, warranties and assurances are in my experience worthless.

2. George a L

George a L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    So how did it end??

3. jeremyw

jeremyw
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is still going on. I made a formal complaint to the Ombudsman some weeks ago and have not heard from them yet. However i do know they have no actual power to enforce a decision, so i will take it up with the Sunday Times consumer expert next . . .

4. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    I know it doesn't help your present situation, but when you do replace your boiler...

If you buy/install your boiler with British Gas, so long as you routinely have it serviced by them they will replace it free-of-charge when it eventually expires/becomes uneconomic to repair.

5. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Take'em to Judge Rinder!!! :)

6. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have four plans with D&G for my Cooker,Dishwasher,Smart TV and my Washing M/C.I have had repairs done to my Dishwasher at least three times and the Washing M/C a few times and have had no problem's