1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain name ranking info. required urgently.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Setenza, May 18, 2005.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I need all you fellow technical folk to help me if you can.

My employers have bought a bunch of variant domain names. Some cheesy US consultant is trying to swing things so he can host the web pages himself. His reasoning being that it is the meta data on the pages themselves that is used by the search engines to determine ranking.

Now, as far as I'm concerned this technique went out years ago. You could basicly have white on white text and put whatever keywords you thought was relevant. Modern serch engines have got wise to this.

It's all done on referals and links these days. Correct me if I'm wrong. You need outside organisations to have direct hyperlinks to your domain. The higher ranked they are e.g The BBC etc, the better the referral.

Now for reasons of internal politics, this outside consultant seems to have got the ear of the senior members of the company. This pisses me off no end co's I'm the incumbant IT Manager and it's my job to protect the company from outside charlatans like this guy.

I need to be able to shoot this guys proposal down inflames, but in such a way where I don't look like I'm shooting his proposal down in flames.

Any sound techno advice rendered in non hostile terms would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

XOD

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,791
    See http://www.google.com/technology/ for a brief overview of how their pagerank works.

Different websites do have different ranking mechanisms, and I think that metadata tags can still be effective in some instances.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Ranking seems to be a mixture of inbound links and relevancy of text but Google operate a sandbox and it is hard for any new site to escape that for months however relevant the text.

Many UK websites are hosted in US without any search engine problems as long as they are dot uk domains as Google looks at either the domain extension or the IP address of the web host. I think that problems may occur with non uk domains like dots com biz and info that are hosted outside the Uk as Google will have no way of knowing that they are relevant to the UK

4. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks so far Gentlemen. So there is a distinct difference between ad words which are acknowledged by Google (particualarly as they run this service) and trawling in meta data that has been deliberately included in a page to misdirect.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Google Adwords thingies are in a different database to the normal search engine pages. I used to pay for a Google Ad for a site that although indexed by Google never got near the top 100 but as my main site is now second out of 823,000 webpages using my preferred term, I no longer have to bother.

6. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Amazing how popular swinging is these days isn't it :laugh: