DolbyTrueHD & AVR300

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopfully someone here can confirm one way or another if i can connect my HD-DVD player with the anologue outputs to my AVR300 to get DolbytrueHD?
I know the HD-DVD player isn't capable of outputting it yet but that should be sorted soon with a firmware update. I'm guessing the AVR300 is not capable, but would just like to know for sure. Is the AVR350 able to proccess it via HDMI? If so I may concider an upgrade.

If it has 6 analoginputs then yes, along with doldy digital plus. Apparently the new firmware v2 is coming out tomorrow, just a rumor

Thanks Klacey.
Oh thats good news! Yes i'm pretty sure it does have six anologue inputs. Yeah i heard the updated was due this week.

I will let you know if i hear of an update, its meant to let you decode true hd in 5.1 instead of the 2 channel we now have.
Fingers crossed.

Wow, that is the first I have heard of this. I had actually heard that it was not going to be possible without significant internal changes... Hope you are right. Crusty/ Webhammer heard anything about this?
M.

No current processor/amp can decode "True HD" sound, but if the player has internal decoding and outputs via 6 channel analogue (as all first generation players will have) then any processor/ amp with suitable connections can "play" it.

thatMikeguy said:
Wow, that is the first I have heard of this. I had actually heard that it was not going to be possible without significant internal changes... Hope you are right. Crusty/ Webhammer heard anything about this?
M.

I think you are getting slightly confused here, they are discussing the possibility of the players being able to decode and output a True HD soundtrack, they are not claiming that the Arcam processors can be upgraded to do this themselves, this will not happen.

Tee hee... I thought it was too good to be true. Well good luck with those HD players guys. I'll stick in the world of SD with the DV29!
Cheers
Mike

Greggles said:
No current processor/amp can decode "True HD" sound, but if the player has internal decoding and outputs via 6 channel analogue (as all first generation players will have) then any processor/ amp with suitable connections can "play" it.

Yes the HD-DVD player does the proccessing, so all the amp does is, well, amplify it. So good news, and the 2.0 firmware should be enabling truehd audio, so all is good :smashin:

To anyone thats interested. I've now got my HD-DVD player outputting trueHD now and it sounds excellent through the AVR300. :thumbsup:

Hopfully someone here can confirm one way or another if i can connect my HD-DVD player with the anologue outputs to my AVR300 to get DolbytrueHD?
I know the HD-DVD player isn't capable of outputting it yet but that should be sorted soon with a firmware update. I'm guessing the AVR300 is not capable, but would just like to know for sure. Is the AVR350 able to proccess it via HDMI? If so I may concider an upgrade.

Was this ever resolved? I thought with the latest firmware (Toshiba) HD DVD players decoded TrueHD but it can only be output via HDMI or Analog 5.1, not optical.

Was this ever resolved? I thought with the latest firmware (Toshiba) HD DVD players decoded TrueHD but it can only be output via HDMI or Analog 5.1, not optical.

"Apparently", the toslink connector (well protocol really, I guess) does not have enough bandwidth to cope with 5.1 LPCM so you will only get 2.0 LPCM, DD or DTS over the toslink cable.

"Apparently", the toslink connector (well protocol really, I guess) does not have enough bandwidth to cope with 5.1 LPCM so you will only get 2.0 LPCM, DD or DTS over the toslink cable.

Pardon my poorly phrased question. It had more to do with the capability of the HD DVD (or Blue Ray) player. I believe all HD players now decode TrueHD on board and output it on 5.1 analog (as well as HDMI for those receivers that can use them.)

Yes, the EP35 (but NOT EP30) decodes Dolby Digital Plus / TrueHD (IF the movie has it!), outputs it via 5.1 (NOT optical) and sounds fab!

Similar with HDMI- I think outputs LPCM(?) for amp decoding, but check HD-DVD forum.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom