1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby's High-Definition Sound Formats (Plus and True-HD)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pob, Sep 8, 2005.

1. pob

pob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
  2. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    8 speakers? Gotta have a purpose built room for that I'd have though - for the average home it's a bit impractical (having to find room for 5 is bad enough.. I gave up on and used 3 which seems perfectly fine to me).

They might have a problem selling the merits of this - people just aren't that sensitive to audio differences (eg. I still can't hear the difference between DD and THX, despite the manufacturers claims).

3. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How have you configured your three speaker setup? Surely you realise that using three speakers could be the reason for why you don't notice much difference in soundtracks.

4. Robert

Robert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    upto 18 Mbps? :eek: HD-DVD ain't gonna be enough!

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    This is one of the arguments why Blu Ray is better as a future format. It should be able to handle higher bit rates like DD-HD.

Its nice to see they are considering both broadcasting as well as future formats like BR and HD DVD.
    They also mentioned DVD in there. I wonder if this means they will give DVDs a new format?

Im sure along with DTS's new standards, we will all need to buy new receivers accepting all these new codecs.

Start saving those pennies!

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    What does True HD offer that MLP (Meridian) on DVD-A discs does not? I am suspicious that it is infact one in the same just that Dolby have licensed Meridian technology and renamed it. MLP is a mandatory format on HD-DVD and Dolby have been promoting it and appear to own the MLP Lossless trademark.

If it is the same, it really does not take up much room at all. A DVD-A disc can and normally does have many different mixes of MLP on it - m/c at 96/24 and 2-ch at 96/24 or 192/24 plus a standard DD 5.1 soundtrack, pictures and other items such a lyrics.

I've been enjoying the sort of quality that True HD will offer for years with MLP on DVD-A.

7. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    From here ...

8. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THX isn't a sound format.

It's a cinema, amplifier and mastering equipment accreditation. It was supposed to be a mark of quality but wasn't because people paid for the badge. The X-file movie has an awful non-anamorphic picture and yet is "digitally mastered by THX for superior picture and sound"

Creative Labs bought THX from Lucas a couple of years ago and started giving THX badges to all their sound cards.

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Come on guys (at the Inquirer), give the guys at Huntingdon some credit...

MLP already supports up to 63 channels, with sampling rates ranging from 32kHz up to 192kHz. I don't think that people have been left wanting for more. Don't they mean that Dolby have added some additional flags in the metedata to trigger some Dolby processing techniques.

Hardly a new format and a major step forward from a format that has been around since 1998 and largely developed by a British company.

Credit where credit is due.

Good news that will hopefully ensure the long term support of DVD-A, even if it is only in the ability to play existing media.

10. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As Jonny says - THX is just a cert, not a format, try compairing DD with DTS and see if you can tell the difference.

DTS makes DD sound like you have a bag on you head, it just sounds clearer and more detailed. If the new standards move the bar up by the same amount then there will be a short but significant queue of enthusiasts looking for kit to support it.

11. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    On closer inspection of the Dolby links, the 8 channels refered to include the subwoofer, so existing 7.1 owners need not fret.

12. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    If THX isnt a sound format whay do amps have a THX mode which does the sound processing, ive only just changed my amp and when THX processing is on its far better than off. I know what your saying about the remastering and stuff and that its an accreditaion of sorts. :confused: :confused:

13. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    As Jonny says, THX is not a sound format. When you select THX mode, you just apply some EQ that will be applied to the sound to make it more appropriate for home environment. Some processors allow THX to be applied irrespective f the underlying sound format, be it DD, DTS or whatever.

14. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Cheers Ian , that cleared that up for me. :smashin:

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I’ve been waiting for this news for a while, when are the first products likely to appear?

16. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I meant DTS.. get my acronyms confused.

I just tried again by switching between the two on the same scene - they sound identical.

Probably one of those things you have to spend a couple of grand on the amplifier to tell the difference with.

I only have 2 DVDs (out of ~70) with a DTS track though... could be they're just bad ones.

17. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I cant wait for HD-DVD but buying all new stuff to use it to it's full is going to be very very exspensive.

18. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Interesting, as well as a higher 'resolution', the main difference I think (and am preparing to get shot down on because I don’t have time to check right now), is that DTS always provides a stereo rear field.
    What movies are you testing with?
    True the Amp(pre and power), its processing, the source and even your speakers will all make a difference but you should be able to tell one processing approach from another.

19. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The trouble is that, certainly in the early days, DTS and Dolby Digital tracks were often created from different masters which led to them sounding different, and the DTS encoder often increased bass levels which led many people to state that it handled low frequency better when this was i nfact down to artificial adjustment of the levels.

The only clear advantage DTS has over DD in my opinion, is that it has the option of discrete 6.1 channels as well as matrix rears, where DD-EX only has matrixed rear . However, that's not of much use if you only have space for 5.1 speakers.

Personally I can't say I can tell any difference between the two formats on those DVD's I have with both DTS and DD on - but that could just as easily be down to my hearing, equipment, viewing environment or combination of all 3.

20. Dave911

Dave911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Up until 8 months ago I would have agreed with you - but having heard a top of the range DD THX Ultra II set up I would now say no. DTS is without doubt more dynamic and on the cheaper amps does sound 'bigger' ie more top and bottom, however if you hear DD as it really should be heard it is awsome. The reality is that the DD mix is much more subtle and to get the full benefit of this you need something with a bit of oomph :eek: Once you have got that there is really no comparison.

As for the comment that people cannot hear the differnce between DD and DTS, then they must have a bag over their head together with their ears full of cotton wool :D there is a difference - a big one particularly on the cheaper end of the amps. Try I Robot - you will hear the difference there.

Cheers
    Dave