1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dolby vs pcm on denon 3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by phillfyspoon, Aug 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    If i was to convert an audio cd to dolby stereo (48khz/24bit 640kbps) would it sound better because it is using denon's dolby decoder rather then the pcm one? i would of thought a home cinema amp would have better dolby decoding. The reason I want to do this is to create an audio-dvd.

I managed to get michael jackson dangerous in dts it was created from the orginal audiocd and sounded better then my original It must be something to do with the dts decoder being better then the pcm decoding.

any insight?

2. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I might be wrong :blush: but I am sure the amp doesnt convert your cd's into DTS. Its just adding some kind of DSP.

Whats your amp set to? Input, Mode (DTS NEO6/DD 5.1 cinema/music ect.).

:)

3. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    no u got me wrong it is in dts it is a dts audio cd. on the display it says dts surround. it isnt a dsp.

4. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86

5. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    i will explain the process. I rip a ordinary music cd to hard drive. I use a dolby digital encoder to make it dolby stereo (48khz/24bit) i then put it to a cd and play in dvd player. It is now dolby digital

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Dolby uses lossy compression methods, therefore converting a CD to Dolby Stereo will resuly in loss if information and will not sound as good as the CD. DTS audio is also a lossy compression method and therefore still not techically as good as an orginal CD. If you want to get bettr quality than CD then I suggest you buy a DVD-A or SACD discs (which are not available for that album) or get the album on vinyl.

7. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Ah, I see :thumbsup:

I have no idea :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

PS I used to live in Alverstoke.

8. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I see what u mean I know technicly im not going to get better sound then an uncompressed wav but what im saying is to me it sounds better in dts format because the amp is better at decoding a dts signal then a normal pcm signal. all av amps sound better in dolby, dts then they do with cd audio right? so I think it would be worth converting my favourate albums onto a dvd disc in dts or dolby. do you see what im getting at.

9. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Wrong.
    If I record a CD to a DVD disc on my Panasonic E60 DVD player, the resulting DD 2.0 audio recording is noticeably inferior to the original CD.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Better than a lot of DVD players, but not better than CD-Audio/PCM decoding.

No, CD-Audio is uncompressed PCM so it will sound better than a compressed DD or DTS track.
    DD wasn't meant for (high-end) music anyhow, it's for multi-channel audio. DD can give good results with music though, at least on commercial DVDs.

11. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    ok maybe not dolby but dts encoded at 1.5mbps sounded better then the pcm original for sure. My system is more suited to deal with dts then pcm that must be the reason it sounds better I know i can not improve on the pcm in anyway but because the denon was designed for dts it sounds better in it.

12. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is it possible that the DTS and PCM recordings differ in the volume levels per channel, i.e. you did not compensate for that at the AV amp when listening to them? (A higher volume is often perceived as "better" sound)
    As well such tests are very subjective and if not done as double-blind test then it would not give a reliable result, but if you are happy with it then that's fine, too. :)

13. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the Dangerous cd you have has been (re)processed into DTS using one of a number of techniques available to produce a DTS cd from a stereo source. This will produce a totally different result to just encoding it as DD or DTS. I suspect this (re)processed DTS cd is still technically inferior to the original pcm cd, but may well 'sound better' to you as it has the added centre channel/surround effects which although they have been added synthetically are much more effective/prominent than either DPL2 or DTS Neo6. I've just listened to both of them in straight stereo as well and the DTS version does 'sound better', but it's probably because of the increased volume and the reprocessing of the normal stereo channels that also happens when it is processed into DTS.
    So I think if you can reprocess your CD's to DTS rather than just encoding them to either DTS or DD stereo (not sure you can just encode them to DTS anyway) then they may well sound better to you. But from what I've read it's not an exact science and if you convert cd1 with method A it may sound great and then convert cd2 with the same method it may sound terrible; so you may have to convert each cd with 2, 3 or even 4 different methods before you find one that sounds 'better' than the original.

14. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    interesting thread this.

i have (the eagles hell freezes over on dvd ) which has option of dts or pcm am i correct that if i only owned a dvd player that the pcm vertion would be the same as if it were a bog standard cd but playable on a dvd player???

i also have the best of the eagles on older cd and a remastered vertion if however playing say hotel california on dvd player "dts option" in 5 channel replay because its taken from a live recording and you have the addition of center and rears as ktng mentions you have more sound and possible a differant mix,

if playing say same track on cd player with normal cd vertion wether its sounds slightly differant because its 2 channel only non dts or 2 speakers vs 5
    thank you

15. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can't say for certain if it's the same as the CD since you don't know what master it was taken from. Or it is for example possible that the DVD PCM track has been recorded with Dolby Surround into it while the CD doesn't have that.

16. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe the "problem" is the player, most DVD players dont play CDs (PCM) very well...

17. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I still think dts sounds better then PCM on the denon 3805. in stereo that is.

18. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    if its DTS 96/24 then it will definitely sound better than CD which is 44/16...lol

edit: oh, and regardless of the recording method/level, format or media, if it sounds better to you, then it is better....i would have thought that a simple thing to understand, even if from a purely on paper technical viewpoint it shouldnt...heh

19. musicman1999

musicman1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    even 1.5k bit rate dts,has a lower bit rate than pcm stereo(768,000 bit per channel).Try hooking up a good cd player to the 3805 analog hookup and you will hear the difference.Oh,also use the analog bypass on the 3805,it should not even be close.

bill

20. joffy1780

joffy1780

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I get the feeling people aren't getting what you're saying.
    Why don't you give it a try and come back with your opinions,should be quite interesting ;) .