Dolby Vision

CaptainCompete

Novice Member
Reaction score
Are Samsung TVs worth it since they don't support Dolby Vision and HDR10+ is pretty much dead in the water as most services and devices have or are picking up Dolby Vision?

I think that samsung will support dolby vision next year, 2020.

And we could start seeing large screen OLEDs from Samsung in a year or two as they know deep in their heart their QLEDs are not delivering better picture quality.

Dolby Vision is added on top of the base hdr so it’s irrelevant how prevalent it is.

And we could start seeing large screen OLEDs from Samsung in a year or two as they know deep in their heart their QLEDs are not delivering better picture quality.
...and at that point, with all the channel DOGs etc, is when I will not buy another TV again, if all flagships are OLED.

...and at that point, with all the channel DOGs etc, is when I will not buy another TV again, if all flagships are OLED.

OLED will become mainstream (monitors, laptops, phones etc.). Samsung are the main supplier of small OLED panels. This itself is a clear indication that OLED would be the ideal display technology. You always get a very good baseline picture quality and the rest is down to processing. Stop counting FALD zones and tell people that my TV has 8.3m self emitting pixels offering balanced overall picture quality from any angle (No blooming, gray blacks, backlight bleeding, clouding, washed out colours, poor native contrast ratio etc.)

If Samsung do the blue backlight version of OLED then I might listen (where the backlight is in place of the blue pixels that are the least stable) - but isn't micro led supposed to be coming out in the next year or so making OLED obsolete?

I think that samsung will support dolby vision next year, 2020.

Is this something that can be done via a software update (to a 2019 model TV, for example) or will that have to be built into future sets? Sorry ... I'm not exactly sure how Dolby Vision works.

It will have to be built into sets, it's not something that can be done via a software update it's just not possible.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom