Dolby Vision versus standard HDR

Dobbyisfree

Hi all, I think this is the best place to put my question, as it is not product specific but something I think a lot of people may recognise.
Using:
Disney+ or Netflix (e.g. Toy Story 4, Last Jedi or the Attenborough Our Planet - chosen as I believe all three were originally in 4k and not remastered).
Nvidia Shield Pro
Denon AV receiver (HDCP2.2)
Toshiba 65UL2063DB

So, even though Currys said the TV is 60Hz it isn't. I need to set the Shield output at 50Hz or the TV flickers.

Set in 4k at 50Hz, I find with Dolby Vision switched on, the receiver shows it as 8 bit.

Set with Dolby Vision off, it then shows as HDR 10 bit in REC2020.

It looks better with both of those sources with Dolby Vision switched off. On Our Planet, colours are much richer for example.

Is this normal or is there a problem? I thought DV was meant to be the best thing ever?

next010

Distinguished Member
Your receiver is likely the problem and not capable of passing DV at 50/60Hz (there are multiple versions of DV), you might have to drop to 30hz.

Connect the Shield directly to the TV and see what changes at 60hz output.

Dobbyisfree

I will try that thank you.
If that works, and gives an even better picture, it leaves me to choose between better picture with only DD+ from optical out of TV or worser picture with proper sound.
Anyone know of a device that has two HDMI outputs, one to receiver and one to TV that can run Netflix and Disney please? As far as I know, there are a few UHD bluray players with two HDMIs but none that will run both of these apps.
The receiver says its DV compatible. Do you know if this table explains the situation (from the receiver manual):
1619772035593.png

next010

Distinguished Member
I will try that thank you.
If that works, and gives an even better picture, it leaves me to choose between better picture with only DD+ from optical out of TV or worser picture with proper sound.
Anyone know of a device that has two HDMI outputs, one to receiver and one to TV that can run Netflix and Disney please? As far as I know, there are a few UHD bluray players with two HDMIs but none that will run both of these apps.
The receiver says its DV compatible. Do you know if this table explains the situation (from the receiver manual):

That table lists the resolutions, refresh rates the receiver supports but it doesn't cover DV.

Go into the Shield video output and instead of auto select 4K 24Hz, that should work but the Shield UI wont be as smooth because its being forced to render at 24fps but if the video is 24fps [most likely from streaming services] it may pass the DV that way.

If you want to keep UI at 4K 60hz the Shield has a match frame rate feature, if you turn that on then when it plays a video it may auto change the refresh rate to 24Hz. However not all apps on the Shield work with it.

Streaming services don't use anything better than DD+ so if that's all your using the Shield for then you lose nothing audio wise having it plugged into the TV and transferring the audio via HDMI-ARC/optical to the receiver.

John7

Make sure your receiver is set to the Enhanced 4K mode.

I had a similar experience with my Pioneer receiver. Following a firmware update, the "Enhanced" setting on the 4K output had been set to "Standard". Once I set it to enhanced (had to find out how to enter the specific "hidden" setting to change it), my output went back to 10bit.

Don't know whether this affects DV playback though?

Dobbyisfree

Hi all,
Thanks for all of your help.
Plug in directly - tried this. It made no difference, TV still doesn't accept 60Hz without flicker, maximum 50Hz, so I think that is what the TV does and Currys was wrong. Also, same again, DV switched off looked better than it on.
24hz - tried this. Made no difference to the DV mode performance, still was better with it off. Also, noted that the Shield has less available configurations in 24 than it does at higher frequencies. I don't know if that's the Shield itself or if it is getting a message back down HDMI to list available configurations.
Enhanced modes - Both the TV and the receiver are in "Enhanced" thank you. On Denons it isn't a hidden setting.
I will just stick to the HDR, don't get me wrong it looks great, just wondered if anyone had tried the specific programmes on the specific streaming apps I have listed and if they experience the same?
Thanks again!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom