Dolby vision on a qn90a possibly maybe?

Dickdaddydollar

Novice Member
Hi all, I haven't been here in years and things look different so, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. I'm about to buy the qn90a regardless of dolby vision but why not try to see what it's all about right. Tv is mainly used for pc gaming and htpc set up. Is there any way to force install the dolby vision software to the tv or could I run vision through my gpu to display it on the tv? Video card is an evga 3080ti hybrid ftw3. Any input would be great even if I'm way off, I'm new to the home theater pc world. Thanks guys.

Cyph3r

Nope impossible. Samsung is backing HDR10+ which is competing against DV, unless Samsung gives up the fight, you won't be playing DV on a Samsung TV

Upvote 0

visualise

Novice Member
I find it absolutely disgusting Samsung won't give us DV on their top-end TVs. Obviously they could add a few quid to cover the licensing costs and the buyer wouldn't notice. Corporations should not be self-serving and testosterone-driven like this. Samsung could support DV on their best models and still push HDR10+.

In fact, I think HDR10+ would benefit from Samsung adopting DV. It currently looks like the "pig-headed" wart of Samsung, rather than standing on its own two feet. What TV manufacturer in their right mind is going to adopt HDR10+ while it's so strongly associated with their competition, Samsung?

Samsung will never be king of cinema like Dolby. They are just a general electronics brand who refuse to get their appliances accredited by Dolby.

It's crazy they self-accredit by inventing their own standard and expect Hollywood to do things twice and use their new standard too.

That said, I don't mind DV being omitted on low-mid range Samsung models though, which are manufactured to a competitive price. The way I see it, the £5 saved can be spent on better quality parts in the factory.

I would not want a £5 cheaper LED or £5 cheaper speakers or a cheaper wifi module which cuts out regularly etc just to get DV.

This is actually the way LG operates. They support DV but not on their budget models.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dickdaddydollar

Novice Member
Lg oleds look amazing too. But Im gonna be gaming mostly and I'd worry to much about burn in to truely enjoy it, it literally would keep me up at night and restrict my use of it. With a good gpu the samsung is the way I have to go as much as I love dolby anything. Hopefully, one day we can have it all lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cuke2u

DV is superfluous to requirements and not really needed. Like EARC the grass is not really greener.
If anyone desires it that much go purchase a set that has it. Life is full of choices..

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom