Drdense

I know this has been discussed before but I cannot find the information specific to my issue.

I have a Panasonic DP-UB450 with the video output connected to a Philips 65OLED+936 and the audio to a Pioneer vsx-933 receiver.

When playing (any) 4K blurry with Dolby Vision the screen is constantly flickering between the picture and black (the Dolby Vision notification keeps popping up also)

Both HDR10 and HDR10+ are fine. I have checked the HDMI with known ultra speed cables, no difference. I have confirmed that all settings on both the player and the TV are correct. It works OK if I disconnect the audio HDMI but this is not an acceptable fix As I have discs with HDR10+ which this receiver cannot pass through. Firmware is up to date and I have tried plugging the HDMI into different ports on the TV but still the same (and enhanced HDMI is definitely turned on)
Is this bluray player unable to pass Dolby Vision correctly when the audio HDMI is in use? (If so that is a serious design flaw)

I also noticed that the Bit Depth is showing (on the tv stats) to only be 8-bit RGB for Dolby Vision but full 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:0 for everything else.

Last edited:

Drdense

Regarding the 8-bit colour depth, from what I've read online this is normal, it is actually 10-bit but is transferred using an 8-bit container. Not sure how it works but have seen it referenced for a few different tvs (please confirm or correct me if this applies for this Philips TV model)

jezus81

Novice Member
There ist no fix yet. Philips‘ 2021 OLED models cannot play Dolby Vision with 24 fps.
With my AppleTV I‘m forcing HDR10 on all material as a workaround.

simon194

I wish Philips would get a move on and fix the Dolby Vision issue.

What I find weird is the issue only occurs when my player, a Panasonic UB820, is connected to the TV but there are no issues playing DV disks when it's connected through my AVR.

Drdense

There ist no fix yet. Philips‘ 2021 OLED models cannot play Dolby Vision with 24 fps.
With my AppleTV I‘m forcing HDR10 on all material as a workaround.
As I mentioned in my post, if I disconnect the audio only hdmi cable and use the player directly to the TV it plays fine, that is dolby vision at 24 fps, so that's a bit strange from what you are saying?

jezus81

Novice Member
As I mentioned in my post, if I disconnect the audio only hdmi cable and use the player directly to the TV it plays fine, that is dolby vision at 24 fps, so that's a bit strange from what you are saying?
Maybe you have different 24p Output settings when you‘re switching between „Video only“ and „Video+Audio“?

The issue you are describing with „constantly flickering between the picture and black“ and the Dolby Vision notification spamming is a known bug with 24p material.

Drdense

There are no other options when switching between video only and video/audio. Also if I switch the audio to the TV output (TV to avoid via ARC) the picture is OK, only flickering when I change the audio direct to the air, so this doesn't change any video output settings at all...

simon194

Maybe the AVR does not output the original framerate but converts the framerate to 50Hz or 60Hz?
The AVR reports 24 fps in and 24 fps out.

simon194

I was bored yesterday evening so decided to try and work out why some of my DV disks will play and others have the flickering Dolby Vision/picture issue when the player is connected to the TV.

I made in interesting discovery that part of the problem with DV playback of 23.976 Hz content may be down the the Enhancement Layer used. Dolby Vision profile 7 that is used on UHD disks can have two types of enhancement layers, Minimal Enhancement Layer (MEL) and Full Enhancement Layer (FEL). All the disk I have that won't play have a FEL but the ones that will play have a MEL.

I guess if I want to watch any FEL disks I can disable the 24Hz option on the player.

I guess next time I'm bored I'll have a look at DV content from my ATV 4K and see whether it's both 23.976Hz and 24Hz DV content that has problems because I think streaming services use a profile that doesn't have an EL. Netflix has a mixture of DV content that use both framerates.

Drdense

Anyone had any further thoughts on this?

I can 100% confirm that when both video and sound are sent to the TV there is no flickering and that the picture I'd definitely 24fps, so this is not the issue.

The flickering only starts when I use the players separate audio output directly to the AVR. The video output in this set up is the same, no options are touched.

The only change is I set the AVR to the players audio rather than the TV.

I do not touch anything (controls or settings) on either the player or the TV.

Video output displays (on both settings) as:

Resolution UHD 3840x2160p
Frame rate 24.0Hz
Content Type General
SDR/HDR Content Dolby Vision
Colour Space RGB
Bit depth 8-bit
HDMI Ultra HD Optimal

Greyman43

I’ll report once my 65” 706 arrives later this week…I’ll be hooking it up to a Panasonic UB820 player via a Yamaha RX-V6a receiver.

Rauha

With OLED806 and UB450 I would say that the bug does not happen as often when using Sound+Video from same HDMI as it doess when using different HDMI, but it does still happen.

EDIT: The problem with Sound+HDMI is that running that directly onto TV means that Dolby Atmos goes low quality/low bit rate due to TV not being capable of passing it trough lossless and I lose DTS:X completly because TV can only decode DTS HD (not DTS:X) and it cannot passthrough that either. Running both directly through soundbar means that I lose HDR10+ because my soundbar does not support it, and HDR10+ support is the biggest reason why I unfortunately have this TV instead of two LG OLEDs...and the bug does not even disappear, it just happens more rarely and I would have to keep plugging HDMI into different ports depending on ATMOS/DV/HDR10+/etc. content.

As for some discs working and others not, I would check those dics several times before making conclusions based on their content. At least for me its all completly random. Sometime same disc works great, sometimes I have to do the dance described below many, many times. Philips TVs are random poo generators. Never make assumptions based on just one go. Something I hope reviewers would also notice and try repeating same things several times on these things.

Anyways, I can get the Dolby Vision flicker to stop by:
1. Pause the video (it has to paused before you got to home screen)
2. Go to home screen
3. Back to Bluray and hit play.

That works roughly 50% of the time. I just keep repeating it until the flickering ends. Sometimes it takes really many times, but eventually it always works.

Then it works fine as long as I just keep watching. If I pause, go to home screen, or do pretty much anything besides just continuing play the video -> bug returns, flickering starts and I go back to doing the pause -> homescreen-> back to video -> Play thingy.

Like everything else on this TV, it sort of works in a half assed way.

Last edited:

simon194

I’ll report once my 65” 706 arrives later this week…I’ll be hooking it up to a Panasonic UB820 player via a Yamaha RX-V6a receiver.
You shouldn't have any problem going via the receiver. I don't if I connect my UB820 to my RX-A3080 apart from the amp doesn't pass HDR10+.

simon194

With OLED806 and UB450 I would say that the bug does not happen as often when using Sound+Video from same HDMI as it doess when using different HDMI, but it does still happen.

EDIT: The problem with Sound+HDMI is that running that directly onto TV means that Dolby Atmos goes low quality/low bit rate due to TV not being capable of passing it trough lossless and I lose DTS:X completly because TV can only decode DTS HD (not DTS:X) and it cannot passthrough that either. Running both directly through soundbar means that I lose HDR10+ because my soundbar does not support it, and HDR10+ support is the biggest reason why I unfortunately have this TV instead of two LG OLEDs...and the bug does not even disappear, it just happens more rarely and I would have to keep plugging HDMI into different ports depending on ATMOS/DV/HDR10+/etc. content.
Does the soundbar support eARC because the TV will pass all the lossless formats via eARC. The only issue I have is another documented bug where I don't get any audio when switching to another source after watching a bluray.

There's new firmware on it's way updating the TV to Android 11 which reportedly fixes the DV problems but we won't know until it arrives.

Greyman43

You shouldn't have any problem going via the receiver. I don't if I connect my UB820 to my RX-A3080 apart from the amp doesn't pass HDR10+.

Thanks, that’s good to know! I’ve delayed the delivery of my new 706 a week owing to being full of Covid but will confirm once it’s all setup. My amp luckily does pass HDR10+ so I’ve no need to bypass it.

Drdense

As for some discs working and others not, I would check those dics several times before making conclusions based on their content. At least for me its all completly random. Sometime same disc works great, sometimes I have to do the dance described below many, many times. Philips TVs are random poo generators. Never make assumptions based on just one go. Something I hope reviewers would also notice and try repeating same things several times on these things.

Anyways, I can get the Dolby Vision flicker to stop by:
1. Pause the video (it has to paused before you got to home screen)
2. Go to home screen
3. Back to Bluray and hit play.

That works roughly 50% of the time. I just keep repeating it until the flickering ends. Sometimes it takes really many times, but eventually it always works.

Then it works fine as long as I just keep watching. If I pause, go to home screen, or do pretty much anything besides just continuing play the video -> bug returns, flickering starts and I go back to doing the pause -> homescreen-> back to video -> Play thingy.

Like everything else on this TV, it sort of works in a half assed way.
When you do your work around (the pausing and switching to the main menu and then back)
Are you sure the audio is still coming from the players audio only HDMI? When I try this the audio automatically switches back to the video+audio and if I change it back then the issue is still occurring 100% of the time.

Also any word on when this update is due to be released? Have searched Google and can't see anything...

Drdense

I think I may have misinterpreted which main menu you were referring to. I was initially trying the main menu (home screen) on the TV it's self. I have since tried the main menu on the player (as in the disc menu, not the players home page) and this appears to work sometimes, although I haven't watched anything for more than a minute or 2 so cannot confirm if it will work for a full movie yet)

SABR3TRON

Standard Member
I know this has been discussed before but I cannot find the information specific to my issue.

I have a Panasonic DP-UB450 with the video output connected to a Philips 65OLED+936 and the audio to a Pioneer vsx-933 receiver.

When playing (any) 4K blurry with Dolby Vision the screen is constantly flickering between the picture and black (the Dolby Vision notification keeps popping up also)

Both HDR10 and HDR10+ are fine. I have checked the HDMI with known ultra speed cables, no difference. I have confirmed that all settings on both the player and the TV are correct. It works OK if I disconnect the audio HDMI but this is not an acceptable fix As I have discs with HDR10+ which this receiver cannot pass through. Firmware is up to date and I have tried plugging the HDMI into different ports on the TV but still the same (and enhanced HDMI is definitely turned on)
Is this bluray player unable to pass Dolby Vision correctly when the audio HDMI is in use? (If so that is a serious design flaw)

I also noticed that the Bit Depth is showing (on the tv stats) to only be 8-bit RGB for Dolby Vision but full 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:0 for everything else.
I have been using an LG C1, Denon DHT-517 and Panny UB820 for some time without any problems and for some reason today I am getting the exact same issue as you with all DV discs. Crazy.. the only fix for me is to turn off DV on the UB820. Will have to look into it over the weekend

SABR3TRON

Standard Member
I have been using an LG C1, Denon DHT-517 and Panny UB820 for some time without any problems and for some reason today I am getting the exact same issue as you with all DV discs. Crazy.. the only fix for me is to turn off DV on the UB820. Will have to look into it over the weekend
I have the UB820 connected to a Denon DHT-517 then to the TV eArc. Just tried Dune and Halloween Kills. Getting the black screen still, flicking between DV on the TV and SDR Filmaker Mode. I can only access the Blu-ray player when go to home and haven't been able to even get to the Blu-ray menu

simon194

I've installed the latest Android 11 firmware (TPM211EA_R. 101.000.136.218) and so far after initial testing it looks like Dolby Vision is now working. I'm going to watch a couple of films tonight just to make sure.

simon194

I've installed the latest Android 11 firmware (TPM211EA_R. 101.000.136.218) and so far after initial testing it looks like Dolby Vision is now working. I'm going to watch a couple of films tonight just to make sure.
Update: Watched two Dolby Vision films last night and there were no problems at all.

Drdense

@simon194 - can you confirm that Dolby Vision profile 7 FEL discs now play correctly on TV (with Dolby Vision)?
How can you tell if a disc is FEL or MEL, there is no indication on the packaging. Also can you give some examples so I can test 1 I have and let you know. (I can confirm that pitch Black and The Suicide Squad (2021) both work absolutely fine)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand