Quantcast

Dolby Vision, including HDR10 conversion w/ DTM on Projectors? Yes!

Dca78

Standard Member
Anyone else out there with an LK990 care to share my settings to try to recreate? You’ll be floored!!! 😁
Nope but I want to test it on my Sony 760😜, what are your settings on Vertex2 (that change from default settings).
Did you also change something on VP side?

HarperVision

Nope but I want to test it on my Sony 760😜, what are your settings on Vertex2 (that change from default settings).

Did you also change something on VP side?
In the V2 I used Automix with the Custom DV String checkbox ticked. Then in the DV tab I used the first selection for EDID (YCbCr 4:2:2 LLDV?), BT2020 gamut defaults, Global Dimming: Supported (just in case, cuz mine uses SmartEco and Automatic Power Control laser dimming). I then edit the DV String parameters with a 10,000 nit Max Luminance (nits) and a .0005 Min Luminance.

For the projector I just use the “-2” setting in the HDR Brightness menu, which equates to ~1,000 nit curve I believe. My brightness and contrast are both left around default of 50, but have noticed a slight tweak up or down on each of about 2-3 clicks is sometimes needed but not really required.

Color I take all the way down to zero while offsetting this by setting the Color Enhancement setting in the Advanced menu almost all the way up to between 16-18. This is specific to my projector most likely as it helps make saturation tracking sweeps hit their % marks almost exactly, in conjunction with Brilliant Color turned on. This is near impossible to achieve without such extreme settings in this machine.

The end result of using the 10,000 nit setting seems to really bring out the low and high/peak levels. It just feels “less compressed”, almost like using less compression on your audio signals and using a full range uncompressed FLAC file or something when listening to music. You can really see it in specular highlights that just seem more “HDR Like”, if that’s a thing. Shadow details are also incredible, without the feeling that the black floor is being raised. 1917 left me in amazement last night, including the night scenes!!!

Last edited:

plaver

Why use two inputs on the projector? Why not just one? The Vertex2 or the Denon can do all the source switching for you.
Sadly I can't because of the distance from the Denon to the projector. I tired several HDMI cable over 12 metres and non of them would carry a 4k full fat signal from the Oppo so I had to move the Oppo to less than 5 metres from projector and now works perfectly this is why I need to have 2 Inputs.

aptiana

The CHiQ B5U 4k UST projector supports DV and appears to be the first to do this. It recognises a DV signal and then offers 2 pre sets for it DV dark and DV bright

This is Aerodynamics review. Changhong Chiq B5U UST Review/Walkthrough - World's First Dolby Vision Projector

perra1971

Standard Member
Sadly I can't because of the distance from the Denon to the projector. I tired several HDMI cable over 12 metres and non of them would carry a 4k full fat signal from the Oppo so I had to move the Oppo to less than 5 metres from projector and now works perfectly this is why I need to have 2 Inputs.
I use a 15m fibrecable from SUPRA Cables. Works perfekt with 4K 422 60hz !

Dca78

Standard Member
In the V2 I used Automix with the Custom DV String checkbox ticked. Then in the DV tab I used the first selection for EDID (YCbCr 4:2:2 LLDV?), BT2020 gamut defaults, Global Dimming: Supported (just in case, cuz mine uses SmartEco and Automatic Power Control laser dimming). I then edit the EDID with a 10,000 nit Max Luminance (nits) and a .0005 Min Luminance.

For the projector I just use the middle “0” setting in the HDR Brightness menu, which equates to ~1,000 nit curve I believe. My brightness and contrast are both left around default of 50, but have noticed a slight tweak up or down on each of about 2-3 clicks is sometimes needed but not really required.
Definitively not working with my 760 😉 but honestly I didn’t take enough the time to check on VP side

HarperVision

I’ve noticed that when I converted to LLDV it seems like the bandwidth demands are lower. I use a Celerity fiber HDMI cable and used to have issues trying to send full 4K60p 4:2:2 HDR like that from Billy Lynne’s Long Halftime March (and now Gemini Man) through it. It would occasionally breakup and drop out. Now that I convert it all to LLDV this doesn’t happen, even at 4K60p.

Maybe give it a try with LLDV first to see how it works.

Definitively not working with my 760 😉 but honestly I didn’t take enough the time to check on VP side
It’s working with my Sony 760 if I change the nit value in DV-string with -1 or +1.
I’m not sure I understand what you guys are saying? Can you elaborate?

Like I said you really need to do a whole new settings setup and calibration to see the advantages.

Perpetum

Standard Member
I’ve noticed that when I converted to LLDV it seems like the bandwidth demands are lower. I use a Celerity fiber HDMI cable and used to have issues trying to send full 4K60p 4:2:2 HDR like that from Billy Lynne’s Long Halftime March (and now Gemini Man) through it. It would occasionally breakup and drop out. Now that I convert it all to LLDV this doesn’t happen, even at 4K60p.

Maybe give it a try with LLDV first to see how it works.

I’m not sure I understand what you guys are saying? Can you elaborate?

Like I said you really need to do a whole new settings setup and calibration to see the advantages.
I now use the 10000 nits-setting in DV-string but had to change the nitvalue in the DV-string +/- 1 because otherwise the picture went pink all over. I also use my values from my callibration. In Sony 760 menu I just have to reduce the HDR-CONTRAST to get a very good picture. I have now a more bright picture with pop and contrast and rich colours. And the black levels are astonishing.

TimHuey

One thing I wasn’t going to mention yet, but I’ve been experimenting with setting a Custom DV string to 10,000 nits (Yes.....I said 10,000 nits!) with BT2020 gamut and I must say that once I got it dialed in, I’m utterly impressed!!! For the very first time I don’t have to switch to different HDR curves based on the input signal I’m getting be it SDR HD from cable, HDR10 from AppleTV or Blu-ray, or even full out Dolby Vision on streaming or UHD Blu-ray! It feels like I finally hit the sweet spot for DV conversion, at least for me and my setup with the LK990. It looks absolutely astonishing no matter what I throw at it. It’s weird since that hasn’t been the case before when using any other setting on the nits values. The next closest seems to be 4,000 nits, but I honestly haven’t tested that as much as 10,000 yet, because I’m so impressed and am afraid to mess it up again, haha.

Someone else please try this too and report back your results, but make sure you really do a good setup first. It may also just be something that works well with high lumen projectors like the LK990, but if so I can honestly say it’s jaw dropping what this combo can throw up on screen. I sit in amazement for hours sometimes just watching stuff and not believing what I’m seeing. My son and I watched Overlord In DV from UHD Blu-ray finally last night and I had a huge grin from ear to ear the entire time, yes even on low level scenes where this projector is “supposed to struggle”! L

The faces on the news programs I’ve watched are so unbelievably real looking that I sit and shake my head in disbelief. I went to my LG OLED 65C8 with an AppleTV also converting to LLDV and I watched the same cut and they’re almost identical. I $h*t you not!

Anyone else out there with an LK990 care to share my settings to try to recreate? You’ll be floored!!! 😁
I will try it with LK990s third cousin twice removed from the weird uncle, the LK952.

I'll let you know today. You have 6000 lumen output though, compared to my 5000 so that might be an issue.

I'm a little confused though. I used the filled the boxes with .0005 and 10,000 as you have to generate the new HDR string. But with that string do I send it to the projector using the create IF then send IF buttons or do I copy the string and place it in the custom DV datablock string and send that. My screens maybe a little different on the MAESTRO compared to the Vertex 2

Last edited:

Dca78

Standard Member
I now use the 10000 nits-setting in DV-string but had to change the nitvalue in the DV-string +/- 1 because otherwise the picture went pink all over. I also use my values from my callibration. In Sony 760 menu I just have to reduce the HDR-CONTRAST to get a very good picture. I have now a more bright picture with pop and contrast and rich colours. And the black levels are astonishing.
Mmm not sure to understand but are you changing manually the DV string generated by the vertex tool?

HarperVision

I think this is due to presenting a much more dynamic range signal to the display, so even after tone mapping it is better than presenting it with a signal that was already mapped lower. Similar to always wanting to use the highest quality input for audio recording/processing to preserve as much quality as you can for the post-processing/recording results.

My DV-string is
eb:01:46:d0:00:45:0B:88:8E:3C:76:8F
d0 shall be D0
What does this actually do to make it work? I am very confused. Try a 4,000 nit value instead and don't make any changes as you did for 10,000 nits (eg: d0 to D0) and report results if you can.

I will try it with LK990s third cousin twice removed from the weird uncle, the LK952.

I'll let you know today. You have 6000 lumen output though, compared to my 5000 so that might be an issue.

I'm a little confused though. I used the filled the boxes with .0005 and 10,000 as you have to generate the new HDR string. But with that string do I send it to the projector using the create IF then send IF buttons or do I copy the string and place it in the custom DV datablock string and send that. My screens maybe a little different on the MAESTRO compared to the Vertex 2
I said to change the Custom DV String (under the DV tab), not the HDR EDID section!

Can someone mention this on the other thread elsewhere so we can have more folks trying this and giving their results as well? Thanks!

Perpetum

Standard Member
”What does this actually do to make it work? I am very confused. Try a 4,000 nit value instead and don't make any changes as you did for 10,000 nits (eg: d0 to D0) and report results if you can.”

I had to do this (d0 to D0) to avoid a smiley when I copied my DV-string here in this thread. :)

HarperVision

markswift said:
I’d expect to see tint errors on A/B comparisons because of the way IPT handles hue vs BT.2020 regardless of matching the primaries, but subjectively, without comparison to a control, you wouldn't expect to notice in day to day viewing.
I see absolutely no reason why you'd expect to see that, considering in the DV conversion process to display on your TV or projector, the signal is clearly converted and mapped to YCbCr. I just don’t understand why you keep harping on this erroneous narrative. You should know this.

A9EAFE7A-31C9-44A7-B02D-70F6FCFA2F51.jpeg

TimHuey

I said to change the Custom DV String (under the DV tab), not the HDR EDID section!
Okay, I am changing the DV String. I think I will post my screen shots of each page so you can see my settings, as our webservers for the VErTEX2 and the MAESTRO are slightly different.

One question, Where did you find the YcBr selection you mention in your instructional post. And when you hit info on your LK990, does it show YUV, RGB, or YcBr on your Color System input. I recall mine showing YUV I think but I'll check again.

Edit. I didn't do the screen capture during a DV movie. But I can if you need it.
10000config.jpg

Last edited:

TimHuey

Ugh Ignore that above. There was an update to the FW on the 12th..my screens are different t now and I have a separate DV tab on the webaerver. I will adjust and repost.

8abel8

Hi all, wondered if anyone can help with a issue I have with 3D bluray rips I'm having. Everything else works fine (DV & HDR).
I have the following: source is Zappiti One 4k Hdr - Denon X3500 receiver- vertex2- Jvc x7900, all other sources (apple tv, sony and panasonic blu-ray)all fine). When i play a 3d bluray rip via the Zappiti, i get nothing on screen, the jvc shows on screen hdmi1 in yellow, which according to the manual means out of frequency range. If i take the vertex 2 out of the loop or play from the Zappiti directly to the jvc, all is fine. Can anyone help? Here are screenshots the vertex2 pages and also my config file.

Cheers
Screenshot_20200327-161910_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200327-161915_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200327-161938_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200327-161958_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200327-161921_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200327-162020_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

Kento

Standard Member
Hi all, wondered if anyone can help with a issue I have with 3D bluray rips I'm having. Everything else works fine (DV & HDR).
I have the following: source is Zappiti One 4k Hdr - Denon X3500 receiver- vertex2- Jvc x7900, all other sources (apple tv, sony and panasonic blu-ray)all fine). When i play a 3d bluray rip via the Zappiti, i get nothing on screen, the jvc shows on screen hdmi1 in yellow, which according to the manual means out of frequency range. If i take the vertex 2 out of the loop or play from the Zappiti directly to the jvc, all is fine. Can anyone help? Here are screenshots the vertex2 pages and also my config file.

Cheers
Sending screenshots is useless if you provide config export.
Issue is OFF TOPIC here.

This being said, if it works source > PJ direct, then set EDID mode to copy TX0 SINK EDID and see if results differs.

On this config you are forcing HLG/HDR10+ and DV.
Force DV only for LLDV capable source and do not force anything else if your display already support it and also do not force something that your display does not support except DV if you want to use the method described in this topic. that means: uncheck HLG or HDR10+ unless you have a good reason to use it.

8abel8

Hi Kento, apologies for being off topic and thanks for your reply. Will try what you have suggested.

Keep safe.

ac388

Novice Member
I am using Oppo 203 n BenQ W5700 , n I decide to use Custom EDID. Please advise which one to use. Secondly, what is the appropriate settings on the Oppo 203 for DV playback ? Thanks 🙏🏻

Trending threads

Latest News

Britbox now available on LG smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Virgin Media TV customers get 18 free channels
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 6th April 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
BenQ launches new Home Cinema and Gaming projectors