Dolby Vision coming to select Sony TV via Xbox (ZD9, XE90, X940E, A1E)

GadgetObsessed

This is amazing news, the Xbox One is going to allow select; currently unsupported, Sony TV’s to display Dolby Vision content with the Fall update.

Support for games, streaming apps and 4K blu-Ray!

Microsoft Brings Dolby Vision to Xbox: Dolby Vision on the Xbox, Explained - Xbox Wire

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/categories/tv/dolby-vision-xbox-compatible.pdf
Excellent news.

Originally, there was speculation that Dolby Vision would only be available for streaming and not for 4k UHD disks or games. Reading that first link though I cannot see anything that says that DV will be available for disks or games - it only mentions streaming. The second link doesn't say anything about the source medium at all.

Has someone else confirmed DV for UHD??

Last edited:

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
XE90 doesn’t appear on the list? And there’s no mention of disc based DV, either for gaming or movies.

LCDseeker

Looks like DV might be going to win the current war Between similar formats. BUT it's too dark. UHD still the gold standard to beat.

Recall

Excellent news.

Originally, there was speculation that Dolby Vision would only be available for streaming and not for 4k UHD disks or games. Reading that first link though I cannot see anything that says that DV will be available for disks or games - it only mentions streaming. The second link doesn't say anything about the source medium at all.

Has someone else confirmed DV for UHD??
Xbox one uses the new standard, so it will come eventually. See the reddit thread

Insider Blog Post: Microsoft Brings Dolby Vision to Xbox: Dolby Vision on the Xbox, Explained : xboxinsiders

XE90 doesn’t appear on the list? And there’s no mention of disc based DV, either for gaming or movies.
X900E is the US version of the XE90, so it will work.

GadgetObsessed

Mortey

I have it on mine. I have an XE9305, it only works on Netflix at the moment I believe.

Seems to work well and you have the added bonus of Atmos from the Xbox, if you have a receiver for that. I don't so I still use the inbuilt Netflix!

Hopefully they will make it available to disks and Games in the future.

stormy

Pity, it might have been a reason to buy an Xbox. :)

Edit: actually, looking at the PDF that's just the list of TVs from Sony which already support DV? So its not adding support to TVs which don't support DV. ZD9 and A1 etc. have already had firmware upgrades to add DV support.

Last edited:

THX1138UK

It was re-iterated on 'Inside XBOX' on Friday 12th October, that the DolbyVision enhancement added to the October 2018 system update for the XBOX One is for select 'streaming services only'.

There was no mention about DolbyVision for UHD Blu-ray playback at all. This has been incorrectly reported has happening before. I really wouldn't count on it.

Also, you have to have a display device that can handle DolbyVision (albeit it will work with the 'lite' version used by Sony TVs). The XBOX update does not (and cannot) add DolbyVision support to devices that do not explicitly support DV.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom