Dolby Vision Bright or Dark?

Heisenbergg

Standard Member
Reaction score
I prefer Dolby Vision Bright on my OLED when watching movies, the detail is exactly the same as Dark but Bright mode makes the picture stand out more due to the AI making it brighter.

I noticed on some scenes that when i pause a movie, the detail is more sharper on Bright, you can see the dirt, scars etc more clearer on their faces.

Which one do you prefer and why?.

Dolby vision dark, my tv was calibrated and picture is brilliant. Pro 2 .

I was on the brink of starting a thread about HDR vs. DV today.
I've been switching back & forth for the last few days & sometimes I prefer HDR: YCbCr422.
DV on my telly is darker sometimes, especially if the source is even slightly dark.
I can get over it by setting it to GAME mode, or switching to HDR (non-DV).

I was on the brink of starting a thread about HDR vs. DV today.
I've been switching back & forth for the last few days & sometimes I prefer HDR: YCbCr422.
DV on my telly is darker sometimes, especially if the source is even slightly dark.
I can get over it by setting it to GAME mode, or switching to HDR (non-DV).
Do you use dynamic tone mapping in HDR?

I’ve had some complaints from family about DV on the CX in some shows being too dark and it’s mainly cos they watch in the day with the room lit up like a Christmas tree. But yeah there are some DV movies that seem to be mastered quite dark. Had to resort sticking it in the standard DV mode for them which is dynamic contrast that brightens up those dim scenes. But it’s not ideal. Then some DV stuff looks absolutely stunning.

DV is absolutely fantastic after the sun has gone down.
I put on Star Trek: The Next Generation in DV the other night & was thinking it's like seeing the whole thing for the first time.

When I've compared I used Game mode, so there was less processing between HDR & DV.
When I was watching non-HDR/DV content I've turned on the Dynamic features & it gets quite close to HDR.

I don't see an actual Tone Mapping option on the CX, but there is Dynamic Contrast & Super Resolution.

Ah wait, there's a Dynamic Color in some modes.
I'm guessing that Peak Brightness is the one to start fiddling with.

DV is absolutely fantastic after the sun has gone down.
I put on Star Trek: The Next Generation in DV the other night & was thinking it's like seeing the whole thing for the first time.

When I've compared I used Game mode, so there was less processing between HDR & DV.
When I was watching non-HDR/DV content I've turned on the Dynamic features & it gets quite close to HDR.

I don't see an actual Tone Mapping option on the CX, but there is Dynamic Contrast & Super Resolution.

Ah wait, there's a Dynamic Color in some modes.
I'm guessing that Peak Brightness is the one to start fiddling with.
On the CX in advanced settings when watching HDR you should have a dynamic tone mapping option,

Peak brightness always has to be high in DV or HDR.

Dynamic colour should be off.

Ah yes, one of those things, because DTM is not in DV mode.
Makes it difficult to compare apples to apples.

Just now I went through the various modes & Standard seems to allow the most fiddling about with the advanced settings.
Dynamic Color did absolutely nothing, at least not anything I could notice.

I prefer Dolby vision bright on my A90j, even with the lights off. Just has that pop I expect watching hdr content.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom