Question Dolby vision av receiver compatibiliy

jtwkelly

Novice Member
Reaction score
  1. I have a Pioneer LX 59 AV which I bought because of its HDR compliance, I made the assumption that this would also include Dolby Vision and thought I would check with Pioneer, please see their response below. Pioneer..."Our present product does not have certification for Dolby Vision HDR and it cannot be updated to this at a later date as a component update would be required as opposed to a firmware update." I was under the impression that pass though for an AV receiver of HDR was all that was required since the AV is not processing the metadata and as such Dolby Vision would be supported. Does anyone know for sure?

Share This Page

Forget Dolby Vision. There's as yet no UHD player being announced that is Dolby Vision certified or includes the ability to use it and only really LG supporting it here in the UK onboard their TVs. It is bascically HDR10 with an additional layer. While you wont get the additional layer via a player, receiver and or TV without Dolby Vision certificatio, you will get the base HDR10 metadata so you'll still benefit from HDR even if not using Dolby Vision certified products while playing back Dolby Vision encoded content. HDR10 simply requires HDMI version 2.0a in order to passthrough the associated metadata. Dolby have made it deliberately hard to passthrough Dolby Vision because it needs the manufacturers to pay them a license fee for including Dolby Vision compatibility. HDR requires no such license. Dolby are basically guilty of trying to steal the show and make money from something that isn't technically all their doing or their's to sell. You can benefit from HDR without Dolby Vision.

Dolby Vision is like making everyone want green trousers because you're the only one selling green trousers. In reality, there'll be fewer people wearing green trousers and most people will be wearing plain HDR10 blue pants :)

Last edited:
Forget Dolby Vision. There's as yet no UHD player being announced that is Dolby Vision certified or includes the ability to use it and only really LG supporting it here in the UK onboard their TVs. It is bascically HDR10 with an additional layer. While you wont get the additional layer via a player, receiver and or TV without Dolby Vision certificatio, you will get the base HDR10 metadata so you'll still benefit from HDR even if not using Dolby Vision certified products while playing back Dolby Vision encoded content. HDR10 simply requires HDMI version 2.0a in order to passthrough the associated metadata. Dolby have made it deliberately hard to passthrough Dolby Vision because it needs the manufacturers to pay them a license fee for including Dolby Vision compatibility. HDR requires no such license. Dolby are basically guilty of trying to steal the show and make money from something that isn't technically all their doing or their's to sell. You can benefit from HDR without Dolby Vision.

Dolby Vision is like making everyone want green trousers because you're the only one selling green trousers. In reality, there'll be fewer people wearing green trousers and most people will be wearing plain HDR10 blue pants :)

Just wondering what you make with this article about Dolby vision ? :)

Dolby Vision on TV and at the Cinema: How will it change your movie viewing?

Just wondering what you make with this article about Dolby vision ? :)

Dolby Vision on TV and at the Cinema: How will it change your movie viewing?

Support doesn't obviously mean those manufacturers including it into their products then? I suspect Dolby are charging too much for the licensing so there isn't much movement on the part of the manufaturers to include support? It doesn't look too good that of the two UHD players announced neither includes Dolby Vision.

Nothing against it and I'm sure it does offer benefits over bog standard HDR10, but I'd not be too concerned about not having Dolby Vision.

By the way, the article is incorrect in assuming Dolby Vision is a rival standard to HDR10. AS I mentioned, Dolby Vision actually incorporates the same HDR10 metadata and HDR10 is the standardised aspect of HDR. Dolby Vision is an additional layer and optional. Dolby Vision authored content should still allow viewers to benefit from the HDR10 layer even if using non Dolby Vision certified devices. It is correct in pointing out that Dolby Vision is limited in some respects that bog basic HDR10 isn't though. I think Dolby should have been more open with their licensing and maybe every manufacturer would then of adopted it?

At the moment i am playing the waiting game,weather HR10 or Dolby Vision comes out top in the long run,for me is to early to say.

Like my receiver i waited till it became comparable with both Dolby Atmos & DTSx before buying,not saying one is better than the other,but who no which way the studio are going to go with theses formats,best cover for both.
I remember when blu ray 1st appeared no support for DTS-master on both receiver and player,i would say mainly DTS-master is no 1 at the moment :)

At the moment i am playing the waiting game,weather HR10 or Dolby Vision comes out top in the long run,for me is to early to say.

Like my receiver i waited till it became comparable with both Dolby Atmos & DTSx before buying,not saying one is better than the other,but who no which way the studio are going to go with theses formats,best cover for both.
I remember when blu ray 1st appeared no support for DTS-master on both receiver and player,i would say mainly DTS-master is no 1 at the moment :)

There is not a competition between them. HDR10 is already the standard and Dolby Vision uses it and has to accommodate it in order for Dolby Vision to even be allowed to be implimented into devices. HDR10 is the standard for HDR and not Dolby Vision. Dolby Vision is simply HDR10 with an additional layer added that makes it possible for Dolby to license it and charge manufacturers wanting to implement it into their hardware. I don't think there's any arguement as to which is better and Dolby Vision would win that debate, but manufacturers are not all going to include something they have to pay a third party a license fee for. Why are they going to bother when they can impliment HDR10 for free and which is the standard right across industry? They simply have to include support for HDR10 in order to be able to advertise that their product is HDR ready.

There is not a competition between them. HDR10 is already the standard and Dolby Vision uses it and has to accommodate it in order for Dolby Vision to even be allowed to be implimented into devices. HDR10 is the standard for HDR and not Dolby Vision. Dolby Vision is simply HDR10 with an additional layer added that makes it possible for Dolby to license it and charge manufacturers wanting to implement it into their hardware. I don't think there's any arguement as to which is better and Dolby Vision would win that debate, but manufacturers are not all going to include something they have to pay a third party a license fee for. Why are they going to bother when they can impliment HDR10 for free and which is the standard right across industry? They simply have to include support for HDR10 in order to be able to advertise that their product is HDR ready.
If Dolby is just another layer on HDR10 then why would dolby only TVs need a firmware update to support HDR10. Not to mention dolby has 12 bit color vs 10 bit. Its more than just a money issue, it's setting the standard. I hope that vision takes over just so the bar is raised
Edit: dolby vision TVs can use the dynamic HDR10 data with the HDMI 2.0a connection. A standard HDMI 2.0 connection is only capable of static HDR10 in all HDR TVs

Last edited:
If Dolby is just another layer on HDR10 then why would dolby only TVs need a firmware update to support HDR10. Not to mention dolby has 12 bit color vs 10 bit. Its more than just a money issue, it's setting the standard. I hope that vision takes over just so the bar is raised

They actually need a specific chipset and not just a firmware update. You can't update software to either introduce support for Dolby Vision or update an existing implimentation of Dolby Vision with a software update. They need the chipset because it is proprietary tech licensed to Dolby Digital. HDR10 is free for any manufacturer to employ and does not require them to either use a chipset that may be at odds with their own onboard video processinh or pay a license fee for giving a device the ability to handle it. Most of the advantages associated with Dolby Vision will eventually be possible via the standaardised and free HDR variant. Why is a manufacturer going to start paying Dolby for Dolby Vision when they can use a system that doesn't require licensing or a chipset that overrides their own software?

Dolby may have the option of 12 bit colour, but that doesn't mean that there's any content available that is actually encoded with it. How many UHD Blu-ray discs are encoded with Dolby Vision and why would the studios decide to start using it given the fact that they'd then have to pay Dolby for the privilege of doing so? There's as yet not even a player able to output Dolby Vision and even OPPO don't seem that hell bent on including it even though the chipset they are going to use within their new player can facilitate it.

No, Dolby isn't setting the standard. The standard is HDR10 and Dolby is subverting it in their favour in order to make money from licensing.

Last edited:
They actually need a specific chipset and not just a firmware update. They need it because it is proprietary tech licensed to Dolby Digital. JDR10 is free for any manufacturer to employ and does not require them to either use a chipset that may be at odds with their own onboard video processinh or pay a license fee for giving a device the ability to handle it. Most of the advantages associated with Dolby Vision will eventually be possible via the standaardised and freel HDR variant. Why is a manufacturer going to start paying Dolby for Dolby Vision when they can use a system that doesn't require licensing or a chipset that overrides their own software?

Dolby may have the option of 12 bit colour, but that doesn't mean that there's any content available that is actually encoded with it. How many UHD Blu-ray discs are encoded with Dolby Vision and why would the studios decide to start using it given the fact that they'd then have to pay Dolby for the privilege of doing so?

No, Dolby isn't setting the standard and is subverting it in their favour in order to make money from licensing.
Netflix already uses dolby vision, yes only universal studios have promised to deliver Vision through BD once a player is released, and I am willing to settle for HDR10 content in the meantime.
I'm just saying as a consumer, I my next TV will have Dolby vision because it's better. I hope that it catches on, and if anyone can't make it happen it would be Dolby. And if it becomes the standard, any HDR TV would have to pay for the licensing and the price difference to consumers would diminish as the manufacturers would undoubtedly stay competitive and fall as they always do.
Disclaimer: I'm not in the market for another TV for a while and I'm advising others to wait another 6 months minimum for prices and standards to settle down

Netflix already uses dolby vision, yes only universal studios have promised to deliver Vision through BD once a player is released, and I am willing to settle for HDR10 content in the meantime.
I'm just saying as a consumer, I my next TV will have Dolby vision because it's better. I hope that it catches on, and if anyone can't make it happen it would be Dolby. And if it becomes the standard, any HDR TV would have to pay for the licensing and the price difference to consumers would diminish as the manufacturers would undoubtedly stay competitive and fall as they always do.
Disclaimer: I'm not in the market for another TV for a while and I'm advising others to wait another 6 months minimum for prices and standards to settle down

So you'd buy a TV that is rated as being less capable than many of its competitors simply to watch Dolby Vision encoded content via Netflix? Of the modes available in the UK only LG have included Dolby Vision. Even in the USA you'd still be limited to either LG or Vizio and you'd still only get cpntent via either Netflix or VUDU.

Dolby Vision can never become the standard for HDR because it is proprietary and it is licensed by Dolby. HDR10 is an open standard and not licensed.

1. I have a Pioneer LX 59 AV which I bought because of its HDR compliance, I made the assumption that this would also include Dolby Vision and thought I would check with Pioneer, please see their response below. Pioneer..."Our present product does not have certification for Dolby Vision HDR and it cannot be updated to this at a later date as a component update would be required as opposed to a firmware update." I was under the impression that pass though for an AV receiver of HDR was all that was required since the AV is not processing the metadata and as such Dolby Vision would be supported. Does anyone know for sure?

Share This Page
I am almost positive that all you need is HDMI 2.0 not even 2.0a for dolby vision as it is decoded by the tv not receiver. Now if you want dynamic HDR10 which is almost as good as dolby vision you would need 2.0a can't find your receiver on US sites either

So you'd buy a TV that is rated as being less capable than many of its competitors simply to watch Dolby Vision encoded content via Netflix? Of the modes available in the UK only LG have included Dolby Vision. Even in the USA you'd still be limited to either LG or Vizio and you'd still only get cpntent via either Netflix or VUDU.

Dolby Vision can never become the standard for HDR because it is proprietary and it is licensed by Dolby. HDR10 is an open standard and not licensed.
How would it be less capable if it can support both formats? Again I'm not buying a current TV I'm waiting for the right one. There arnt going to be just Vision TVs. there will be HDR10 only TVs and Vision/HDr10.
Furthermore look to audio formats where DTS HD master is the standard with True HD being optional. Can't say which one is better I don't know, but they coexist and my receiver does both. Object based sound is more like the HDR war where most ship with Atmos and DTSX requires an update. Only difference is if you don't buy a Vision enabled TV you'll never get it.

I digress, Vision is better and many TVs currently can be updated to support HDR10 and if I was a betting man I would say Vision TVs will support both formats from here on out

Even versions of HDMI prior to HDMI version 2.0 can passthrough Dolby Vision metadata. It is only the player and the TV that require the Dolby Vision compliant chipset and the Dolby licensing. Your AV receiver doesn't process the DV associated metadata and simply passes it on through to your TV. You would however need a receiver with HDR compliance if wanting to passthrough the HDR10 component included with some Dolby Vision encoded content.

Last edited:
How would it be less capable if it can support both formats? Again I'm not buying a current TV I'm waiting for the right one. There arnt going to be just Vision TVs. there will be HDR10 only TVs and Vision/HDr10.
Furthermore look to audio formats where DTS HD master is the standard with True HD being optional. Can't say which one is better I don't know, but they coexist and my receiver does both. Object based sound is more like the HDR war where most ship with Atmos and DTSX requires an update. Only difference is if you don't buy a Vision enabled TV you'll never get it.

I digress, Vision is better and many TVs currently can be updated to support HDR10 and if I was a betting man I would say Vision TVs will support both formats from here on out

Who said it was less compliant? Compliance has nothing to do with a device's compendence and picture quality. Are you suggesting all LG and Vizio TV are superior to those made by other manufacturers? If so then it isn't relected in the opinion of most reviewers. Most content isn't going to be encoded using Dolby Vision so the ability of a TV to display such content not encoded with Dolby Vision compared to other devices is more important than its Dolby Vision compliance.

Both DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD are optional audio formats and neither is mandatory or awarded any preference as far as the standards are concerned. I'm not here to argue with someone on points that have no bearing and are technically incorrent. If you are going to throw something into the equation then at least make sure you know what the facts are relating to it.

Last edited:
Who said it was less compliant? Compliance has nothing to do with a device's compendence and picture quality. Are you suggesting all LG and Vizio TV are superior to those made by other manufacturers? If so then it isn't relected in the opinion of most reviewers. Most content isn't going to be encoded using Dolby Vision so the ability of a TV to display such content not encoded with Dolby Vision compared to other devices is more important than its Dolby Vision compliance.

Both DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD are optional audio formats and neither is mandatory or awarded any preference as far as the standards are concerned. I'm not here to argue with someone on points that have no bearing and are technically incorrent. If you are going to throw something into the equation then at least make sure you know what the facts are relating to it.
Once again im not here to argue a specific TV, if i were to guess based off your comments, your just butthurt that you bought an expensive 4K TV too early. I am commenting on the HDR format specifically. Which is better and you have yet to give any facts to say HDR10 is, besides LG isn't superior. 10 bit vs 12 bit. nuff said.
LGs are pretty good too, did you buy a Sony?

You may say that TVs aren't yet capable of displaying such high goals,
True, but why cap yourself at 10 bits. its like shooting yourself in the foot.
And before you say it can be upgraded, just like dynamic metadata has...
True, but if it has to use HDMI 2.1 that's a pain in the ass

didn't mean to confuse you about DTS either, i know its not technically the standard but if everyone uses it over TrueHD and every inferior codec i think i made my point as it was intended.

Once again this is about HDR and not TVs as they will evolve where as HDR codecs will probably not, until HDR12 comes out and you need 2.1 connections to be just as good as Vision.

Ill end with saying im not advocating a proprietary codec, I hate apple, for this and other reasons. That said, if its better im going to be for it. Thank god lighting is not superior to USB type C

I didn't own a 4K TV until this Sunday so no, I'm not antagonised by having paid too much for a 4K early doors TV. I'm not at all sure what you are basing your assumptions upon or how they even substantiate your stance that Dolby Vision will be something you cannot live without? As I said, there's only one brand in the UK that has Dolby Vision and I didn't buy that brand.

You keep implying that I've said things I've not said. No you didn't confuse me about DTS. Youu were the one confused about it and stating something that was factually incorrect.

I'm not being optuse either and I'm simply telling you the way it is. Not everyone is putting so much importance into Dolby Digital and LG TVs are not outselling models lacking support for it. PLayer manufacturers are not anxious to impliment it simply because of the cost of licensing it from Dolby. Likewise, the studios are less likely to pay Dolby for the priveledge of encoding their videos releases with it due to the addtional cost.

If you want the lowdown on what lead to DTS-HD Master Audio being the predominant format used for Blu-ray then the indications are that it was a PITA to encode and Dolby's licensing was marginally more expensive than that of DTS. It had nothing at all to do with consumer demand and was purpetrated by the studios. Dolby have stolen the march on DTS's dominance with Atmos though and DTS are now the ones lagging behind. This was neither due to consumer demand or studio preference. THe studios simply had no other option and could only initially encoded content using Atmos because DTS hadn't yet finalised their development of DTS:X. Many studios have now committed themselves to the hardware and encoders associated with Atmos so are unlikely to jump ship and start encoding content as DTS:X.

Dolby Vision is superior to HDR10, but this will not ensure that it will become more popular or that it will be adopted by more of the manufacturers. A lot of the TV manufacturers simply don't want to use it because it overrides much if not all of their own proprietary processing. Most TVs are the same these days apart from the proprietary processing each manufacturer implements into their products. Why are Samsung and Panasonic on top of the pile? Because they have some of the best video processing. Why would they want to sacrifice this and give their hardware over to the processing implemented by Dolby Vision which they cannot expand upon or alter in any way what-so-ever?

Dolby should have made this free and thought of other ways to make money from it. Maybe offer it up as open source as is the case with HDR10, but still gain some licensing by way of the studios who encode content with it?

Last edited:
Dolby Vision is superior to HDR10, but this will not ensure that it will become more popular or that it will be adopted by more of the manufacturers.

Dont rule out Dolby Vision yet.....

Some TV manufacturers will need to update their HDMi 2.0a to 2.1 by firmware upgrade, this allows HDR dynamic metadata in Ultra-HD bluray, current HDR-10 is static metadata.

Dolby Vision UHD bluray titles will be launch with HDR dynamic metadata by 2017..had being announced...

Android Nougat 7.0 supports HDR-10, Dolby Vision, Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG)....had being announced

The TV and the Player needs to support DV at hardware level, the receiver needs to support HDCP 2.2

Netflix & VUDU already supports Dolby Vision & HDR-10

The latest Google Chromascast ultra support Dolby Vision & HDR, joining to LG, Vizio, more Hardware arriving...had being announced

Lp6ZGAM.jpg

Manufacturers supporting Dolby Vision
LG (OLED and LCD)
Vizio (LCD)
TCL (LCD)
Loewe (OLED)
Skyworth (OLED)Changhong
Funai
Hisense

Streaming services supporting Dolby Vision
Amazon Video
Netflix
Vudu
and a fourth to be announced

Ps: Next generation Fire TV it might support Dolby vision.

6 hollywood studios supporting Dolby Vision
Sony Pictures
Warner Bros
Universal
Paramount
Lionsgate
MGM
Disney/Pixar is already releasing Dolby vision for cinema.

original source in Korean: ????????, ????????... : ???̹? ???α?

An update on Dolby Vision: 5 TV partners, 6 Hollywood studios & 100+ movies - FlatpanelsHD

Last edited:
Who said that HDMI version 2.0a chipsets can be updated to version 2.1? It is more likely that existing HDMI chipsets will not be updatable than it is that they will be.

Also note that Dolby Vision cannot be updated via a firmware revision and its functionality is wholy determined by the chipset and software already implimented within a device supporting it. Any future advances as far as Dolby Vision is concerned would require new hardware that is able to exploit those advances.

The Korean source you quote is simply quoting from other sources. The thing you should be concerned about is the list of manufacturers supporting Dolby Vision. This list has not expanded since it was first posted. I'm not saying it is a certainty that Dolby Vision will not attract more support, but there's nothing to encourage manufacturers to support it. HDR10 is free and allows them to implement HDR as they see fit in ways that best exhibits the capabilities of the hardware they make. Dolby Vision on the other hand is a closed technology that denies them any control of any element of the content being displayed. Dolby Vision also costs them a lot more money to implement and include. Even the likes of OPPO are questioning whether it is worth the cost of licensing even though the chipset they are going to use will be suitable for the implementation of Dolby Vision. OPPO are a manufacturer who's BD player customers are more likely than most to be home theatre enthusiasts. Despite this OPPO is still questioning the economics of including Dolby Vision support.

As far as the hardware implementations are concerned, Dolby should have given Dolby Vision away for free and it should have only charged licensing in relation to the authoring of content. It would probably have been awarded the status as a standard had they done this rather than being sidelined as an option as things stand now.

By the way, only one of the TV manufacturers listed sells TVs in the UK and only 2 of the streaming services listed are available here.

Last edited:
Who said that HDMI version 2.0a chipsets can be updated to version 2.1? It is more likely that existing HDMI chipsets will not be updatable than it is that they will be.

Im quoting an article
LG has demonstrated HLG capability at IFA 2015, CES 2016 and NAB 2016. It said that it expects the existing HDMI interface in its current TVs to be upgraded via a firmware update to incorporate the required new HDMI signaling, and possibly without the need of additional hardware. Sources said that it is generally expected that the CTA’s Profile for Uncompressed Digital Interfaces (CTA 861) will be revised this fall to accommodate the new HDMI signaling. Meanwhile, LG has already demonstrated HLG capability at IFA 2015, CES 2016 and NAB 2016.

Will Hybrid Log-Gamma Present An HDR Log Jam? | The Weekly Riff

I'd not hold my breath. What's in it for LG to update older products rather than use new tech and features to sell new models? LG are more than likely simply infering that they"may" be able to update current stocks in order to not deter people from continueing to buy current models?

When they guarantee that they'll be updating older models then you can be a little bit more self assured :)

The standards for HDMI 2.1 haven't even been finalised so how do LG know that those new standards can be implemented using existing HDMI chipsets?

It is not clear when we can expect HDMI 2.1 to debut in products and whether it will be possible to firmware upgrade current 2.0a ports in HDR-enabled TVs.

New HDMI 2.1 standard said to improve HDR support - FlatpanelsHD

Note that LG have nothing at all to do with developing HDMI version 2.1 or the associated standards.

I'd not hold my breath. What's in it for LG to update older products rather than use new tech and features to sell new models? LG are more than likely simply infering that they"may" be able to update current stocks in order to not deter people from continueing to buy current models?

When they guarantee that they'll be updating older models then you can be a little bit more self assured :)

The standards for HDMI 2.1 haven't even been finalised so how do LG know that those new standards can be implemented using existing HDMI chipsets?

New HDMI 2.1 standard said to improve HDR support - FlatpanelsHD

Note that LG have nothing at all to do with developing HDMI version 2.1 or the associated standards.

For me theres more than HDR Dynamic metadata, theres Hybrid Log Gamma...thats why i won't upgrade anytime soon until 2.1 is finalised..

A TV like the LG OLED 4K with HDR10 + Dolby Vision + HLG (developed by BBC + NHK) will make dream come true.

Sony already announced that their 4K projectors will be upgraded to Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) by firmware upgrade, heres the models:

2016 Models
VPL-VW675ES by firmware
VPL-VW550ES by firmware

2015 Models
VPL-VW500S by firmware
VPL-VW320ES by firmware

Test-Update: Sony VPL-VW550 | Cine4home.de

In my opinion its important to purchase NOW Hardware that supports HDR dynamic Metada that exists only in the form of Dolby Vision, and use Amazon, Netflix & Hulu, or Chromecast plus..

And since HLG has being supported by some big manufactures, is also another reason to wait for new TVs....especially TVs.

Hybrid Log-Gamma - Wikipedia

Ok, this article might clear some stuff happening

It is not clear whether HDMI 2.1 is a hardware or firmware upgrade. However, Samsung confirmed to Display Daily that it will push out a firmware upgrade for its current TVs later this year to enable dynamic metadata for HDR. It is unclear if this update will apply only to 2016 models or if 2015 models will receive an update, too

Samsung’s promise suggests that a firmware upgrade is possible but Samsung might have been planning for it. Other TV manufacturers have yet to comment on the matter.

Industry working towards adding dynamic metadata to HDR10 standard - FlatpanelsHD

In that case my TV should be upgradable? I'm still unsure as to how they can determine this before a standard is even finalised though?

The facts of the matter are that neither the standards for HLG, HDR10 Dynamic Metadata or HDMI version 2.1 have been finalised.

The reason you're getting so much support for HLG is simply because it will more than likely be adopted as the broadcast standard for HDR (Hence the BBC and NHK involvement in its development). It makes more sense that a manufacturer would want to add support for this than it does for them to pursue support for Dolby Vision. There's more likelihood of there being a ready made mass market with ready made content exploiting HLG than there are chances of Dolby Vision becoming something all content uses or something many hardware manufacturers want to implement.

Broadcast television, and particularly live television, has a very complex content workflow. Our production and broadcast activities are spread over a number of sites, each at different points in their equipment replacement cycle. We started to investigate how HDR could fit into a typical broadcast infrastructure such as ours. We concluded that any approach couldn't rely on end-to-end metadata as metadata often gets lost or becomes out-of-sync with the content as it passes through the production chain and that standard presentation techniques such as mixing video sources become overly complex with metadata. We also wanted the captured signal to be display-independent because a wide range of different displays and lighting conditions are used both in production environments and in the home. Finally we wanted an approach that was compatible with our current 10 bit infrastructure and only needed changes to the cameras and critical monitoring displays. This led us, and NHK who shared many of our concerns, to invent the Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) system for HDR.
High Dynamic Range Television and Hybrid Log-Gamma - BBC R&D

AS to Sony's plans. Is a projector the best platform with which to stage HDR? I don't think it is and TVs are really the only display method that exploits HDR irrespective of which or what form it takes. Most people buying a high end PJ wont be bothered if it supports HDR because a PJ doesn't have any form of backlighlighting so cannot exploit HDR as HDR was intended to be exploited.

Last edited:
HLG might take some time until theres broadcast services available to consumer.

Dolby Vision is really coming to Ultrahd Bluray, they are waiting for a chip from Mediatek to be finalised and implemented in future BD players see here:
4K UHD Blu-ray Disks with Dolby Vision - Blu-ray Forum

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom