Dolby Vision, Atmos Support Soundbar Selection Dilema

Yandards

Novice Member
Reaction score
Trying to work out how to make the most of my existing TV, an OLED E6V, so that I can watch Netflix etc content in Dolby Vision and have a suitable Atmos enabled audio output via a sound bar.

Whilst I appreciate that the E6V isn't going to output an Atmos signal to a sound bar either via SPDIF or ARC it would be nice to be able to watch content in Vision whilst listening to an Atmos sound track without having to buy another new TV.

I do have an Xbox that will output Atmos but sadly not Dolby Vision so can anyone offer some guidance on if this is possible with the sound bars currently on the market and secondly which sound bar would work (Hopefully).

I did try an LG SJ9 but it was picky as best and another criteria is that is just needs to work when switched on, not a switch that on, wait 20 seconds, then that one, then push this input and select that and then it might work, ie wife friendly.

Finally I am better off just waiting for the various manufacturers to release newer sound bars that actually support HDR 10/Vision/Atmos/DTS-X pass through ?

'I did try an LG SJ9 but it was picky as best and another criteria is that is just needs to work when switched on, not a switch that on, wait 20 seconds, then that one, then push this input and select that and then it might work, ie wife friendly.' - you'll have to have a word with the folk at DCP (DCP by VTM Web Services) and HDMI.org. The primary objective is to protect content not make things simple to operate.

HDMI 2.1 promises better interoperability between devices - though its going to be late 2018/early 2019 before we see if the reality matches the promise.

For now adding a programmable remote by the likes of Harmony is the best way to 'simplify' a system - though not everyone likes that approach.

I find it odd that folk are desperate to have 'Atmos' from a Soundbar - following the main dialogue is, for me, far more important than any effects channels and many Soundbars seem to fail on that basic requirement.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom