Question Dolby Vision and Atmos Together

AndySmith

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of moving house, and in the inevitable negotiation with the other half I'm pushing for a few upgrades to the AV setup. It will involve a new receiver, TV, UHD Blu Ray Player.

What I'm trying to arrive at is a combination of devices that give (or is mostly likely to give via updates in the future) Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos combined across the most services possible. I'm mainly talking about (in descending order of importance 4K Blu Ray, Netflix, Amazon Video, downloaded mkv files).

This seems like a minefield at the moment with different services offering a fragmented set of options. So if anyone has any success stories about getting DV and Atmos running at the same time via an Atmos AV receiver, please shout out.

My initial thoughts are:

LG B7/C7 OLED. This should give the option of Atmos and DV via installed apps, Atmos (lossy) going via ARC, so in the absence of any other devices supporting anything then at least I should get this possibility. I've seen the Vudu app running on a C7 supplying DV and Atmos together with Onkyo 676, but does Netflix and Amazon Video also allow this on the 7 series? I've discounted the 6 series because Atmos via ARC isn't supported.
LG UP970. Supports Atmos, should get DV via firmware soon, for 4K discs. Has Netflix and YouTube apps, but unsure if the DV update will include a DV-enabled Netflix app. No Amazon Video unfortunately.
Denon AVR-X2300W as the receiver. Supports 5.1.2 atmos and passes through DV.

I know the Oppo UDP-203 currently handles DV and Atmos for 4K discs, but it's expensive and is a one-medium solution with no apps, so there is a limitation there.

The LG UP970 is the only other player to support DV @£275. Thu some have said it quite noisy and some issues. The Oppo 203 has had issues also and issues expensive.

So the option are not great right now. If it was my money I think the B7/C7 and Panasonic 400 or 700. The basic guts of the Panasonic UHD players are all the same, it just down to what features you want.

DV would only be via the app's with the LG tv do a great job of playing. The Panny won't do DV, like most other UHD players but work perfectly just plug in and go with the LG tv, its a reasonable price too.

Cheers for the reply!

Yup, it's a frustrating experience at the moment. The ultimate answer is a 4k BR player with DV/Atmos support with a decent appstore selection (Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer, YouTube etc), giving the possibility of DV support via the apps in the future if not immediately. Doesn't exist at the moment - the LG gets closest once the DV update hits, but you be unlucky and get a noisy one. Maybe the Xbox One X will pull all of this together - no DV support announced for it as things stand, but some encouraging sounds coming out of microsoft about it in recent weeks.

For the meantime the TV choice boils down to the LG C6 (and wait for a 4K player with full DV support via disc and apps) or spend a bit more on the B7/C7 and at least get support via the apps on board the TV as a default position until a player picks up the slack. I'm leaning towards the latter now that the B7 has been spotted below £2000, and the C6 remains around the £1500 mark.

Cheers for the reply!

Yup, it's a frustrating experience at the moment. The ultimate answer is a 4k BR player with DV/Atmos support with a decent appstore selection (Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer, YouTube etc), giving the possibility of DV support via the apps in the future if not immediately. Doesn't exist at the moment - the LG gets closest once the DV update hits, but you be unlucky and get a noisy one. Maybe the Xbox One X will pull all of this together - no DV support announced for it as things stand, but some encouraging sounds coming out of microsoft about it in recent weeks.

For the meantime the TV choice boils down to the LG C6 (and wait for a 4K player with full DV support via disc and apps) or spend a bit more on the B7/C7 and at least get support via the apps on board the TV as a default position until a player picks up the slack. I'm leaning towards the latter now that the B7 has been spotted below £2000, and the C6 remains around the £1500 mark.
Hi ,
I was wondering if you found a reasonable solution ? I am in the same boat . I was wondering if i could spend less on TV (65" C7 is $2800) or buy a bigger 4K TV (70" or 75") if there is a blueray player or streaming device that i could connect to get both Atmos and Vision.

Hi ,
I was wondering if you found a reasonable solution ? I am in the same boat . I was wondering if i could spend less on TV (65" C7 is $2800) or buy a bigger 4K TV (70" or 75") if there is a blueray player or streaming device that i could connect to get both Atmos and Vision.

Not really - I went for the B7 in the end, and that covered the most bases. The Xbox One X doesn't have DV and there are reports that it doesn't handle colour spaces correctly. The new Apple TV has DV, but no Atmos and the device won't switch display modes as things stand so it's an odd experience. The Shield doesn't do DV. We still don't have a do-everything device. There's a big gap in the market IMO.

Not really - I went for the B7 in the end, and that covered the most bases. The Xbox One X doesn't have DV and there are reports that it doesn't handle colour spaces correctly. The new Apple TV has DV, but no Atmos and the device won't switch display modes as things stand so it's an odd experience. The Shield doesn't do DV. We still don't have a do-everything device. There's a big gap in the market IMO.
Thank you Andy! So i am left with 65" LG C7 .

There is some talk of the Apple TV having a firmware update for switching frame rate. This does not solve the basic issue with the device i.e. lack of UK support.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom