• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dolby TrueHD

hackers2010

Standard Member
Hi

I have a Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray player that is connected via HDMi to an Onkyo AVX-380. Both support Dolby TrueHD, yet I am still unable to get this working.

I am totally new to all this so forgive me for being a little vague.

Can anyone put me on the right track?

Many thanks in advance.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What settings are you using or have you tried (on both amp and player)? If the player is decoding the HD audio and then sending via HDMI then you will not get the HD audio light on the amp but you will be listening to HD audio. Have you selected the TruHD soundtrack on the bluray?

hackers2010

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply.

I couldn't see any settings in the 'Sound Settings' for True HD on the Sony, just DTS and PCM etc

Although it says on the Spec for the player that it supports it.

Where would I select the TrueHD soundtrack to?

Sorry again for being vague, this is all new to me!!

Thanks for your help.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
On your player go to the Audio Settings Menu and ensure Audio (HDMI) is set to Auto and BD audio mix is Off

If your receiver is in Auto mode it will decode whatever is input.

What settings are you using on the player at present as this should be your first port of call?

hackers2010

Standard Member
I have got the Audio (HDMi) set to Auto already.

I will check the full settings when I get home and post them up.

The receiver though is only showing the normal Dolby Digital logo and not the TrueHD.

DevonTony

Established Member
As PSM1 says above sometimes you have to go into setup/languages (in the Blu ray menu) and manually select Dolby TrueHD, not always as it is usually default but worth checking. Hope you get it sorted, regards

Tony :)

hackers2010

Standard Member
Thanks.

Will try this tonight.

Just to be sure I have got this correctly connected also.

I have a Sky+ HD box connected via Digital Optical cable to the receiver for the DD sound and a HDMi cable into the TV for the visual.

Then the Blu-Ray player connected to the receiver via HDM1 and another HDMi cable from 'Out' port on the receiver to the TV.

Is this the correct way of doing it??

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You have connected all your equipment correctly so must just be a setting within the player or reciever that is causing the issue.

hackers2010

Standard Member
Hi guys, still having no luck with this.

The Blu-Ray settings are as follows:

Audio (HDMI) - Auto

DSD Output Mode - On

BD Audio MIX Setting - Off

Dolby Digital (Coaxial / Optical) - Dolby Digital

DTS (Coaxial / Optical) - DTS

DTS Neo:6 - Off

Audio DRC - Auto

Downmix - Surround

I am at a complete loss.

When playing a BD I get the following indications on the receiver:

PCM

PLII

That's it........

Help!!!!!

dante01

Distinguished Member
On the amp, be sure to set HDMI audio output to AMP and not AMP+TV.

Your BD player's settings are correct and they are not to blame.

Last edited:

tonyblade

Established Member
Hi hackers, I think my downmix is dts and not surround. Hth

vib ribbon

Banned
Seems your blu ray player and Amp have been setup correctly....which leaves the disk you are trying to play.

As PSM1 and DevonTony have said - sometimes you have to go into audio/languages (in the blu ray disks menu) and manually select Dolby TrueHD.

Firstly, make sure you are using a film that is encoded with Dolby TrueHD - it will say so on the back of the case. When the film is loaded and you are on the main menu - bring up the Audio\Languages menu for that blu ray and try and select Dolby True HD from the available audio tracks.

I have had quite a few disks that default to Dolby Digital and have had to change the audio track so that Dolby TrueHD is selected.

hackers2010

Standard Member
Thanks guys.

I tried 2 different BDs last night both have TrueHD.

There was no option to select the soundtrack anywhere.

I think I'm going to box the receiver up and send it back!!

vib ribbon

Banned
Thanks guys.

I tried 2 different BDs last night both have TrueHD.

There was no option to select the soundtrack anywhere.

I think I'm going to box the receiver up and send it back!!

Which films did you try?

are you sure you are looking in the right place?

I would go as far to say that on every DVD and Bluray i own there is an option to select a different language\soundtack. :lesson:

I might be teaching you to suck eggs but you need to make sure you are looking at the right menu - it isnt any menu for the Amp, nor for the blu ray player itself, but the menu of the actual disk you are playing.

Best example I can give is this screenshot of a menu (Prison Break?):

379_2.JPG

As you can see, the disk contains different soundtracks\languages - with most (all?) blu-rays\DVD's you can select either Dolby Digital or Dolby TrueHD\DTS HD from here.

Last edited:

vib ribbon

Banned
Another few points to note:

1) Sometimes the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack doesnt kick until the film has actually started. When watching trailers or when at the main disk menu my Yamaha amps flicks between Dolby Digital to Stereo and finally to Dolby TrueHD when the film starts.....I would suggest browsing to any scene from the actual film and then check the amp to see what its thinks its outputting.

2) Are all 5 speakers plugged into the amp - just checked the Onkyo manual and this is a requirement as it will go into stereo\Pro logic mode if not.

3) Speaking of Pro Logic, make sure (using the Onkyo remote control) that you have selected the 'MOVIE\TV' 'Listening Mode'

vib ribbon

Banned
Thanks Vin Robbon

I tried Alice in Wonderland and Michael Jackson This Is It.

All 5 speakers are definitely connected.

Need a little more info from you here! :blush:

First point, I dont think you will get Dolby TrueHD from either of those two films as they are encoded English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround Sound - I'm sure somebody else can confrim\correct me? Anyway, your Amp supports that codec so that shouldnt be an issue.

So:

1) What does the Amp say when you are actually playing the film (not when you are at the menu or trailers)? Can you take a picture of the front panel or explain exactly what it says when playing a film?

2) Have you found out where on the disk you can change the language\soundtrack? Both those disks will have the option to change the language\soundtrack

hackers2010

Standard Member
Really appreciate this help.

I will post a pic of the amp when I get home tonight.

When the discs were playing last night it was displaying 'PCM' and 'PLII'.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Please confirm that HDMI audio is set to Off (TV audio as mentioned above by dante01). Is the amp definitely in auto mode?

I must admit though, I wish Bluray player manufacturers would simplify both the setup and terminology. I see Sony make no reference to the word Bitstream at all, which is what we're used to (at least I was with DVD :laugh:)

hackers2010

Standard Member
Hi Guys

I can't see anything in the receiver settings that refers to 'HDMI audio'. There is a 'HDMI Setup' menu, and the settings are as follows:

Audio TV Out - Off

LipSync - Disable

HDMI Control - Off

Audio Return Ch - Auto (cannot be changed)

Power Control - On (cannot be changed)

TV Control - On (cannot be changed)

I have done as suggested and gone through the BDs menus looking for the track etc. I selected DTS HD 5.1 on the Alice in Wonderland BD and then started it.

'photo1' attached is before playing the BD and 'photo2' is whilst playing the BD.

Thanks in advance guys.......

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 113
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 117

hackers2010

Standard Member
Okay.

Had a play with this and now in a different position.

Have managed to get the DTS and TrueHD, now though I cannot get a picture from the Blu-Ray. It's connected via HDMI to the receiver and then the receiver to the TV via HDMI out.

It flashes on for a split second and then goes to 'Searching for signal' then back on for second then back to searching.

This is driving me mad!

Diet

Standard Member
Hackers, you have exactly the same problem as I'm having, it seems. I have the BDP-S570 and the Sony STR-DA2400ES amp. When I take an optical feed from my Virgin HD box, I get the pretty blue light on the front of my amp, and I used to get surround from my DVD player when fed by a co-ax cable, but my Blu-Ray player doesn't give me HD audio, only ever "Linear PCM 48", and definitely no surround or DTS-HD (Iron Man 2).

I'd suggest the common element here is the Sony Blu-Ray player, not the amp, for what it's worth.......

hackers2010

Standard Member
I removed all the cables and started from scratch.

Them went into the settings menu and set all the inputs with the corresponding sources. Selected DVD/BD and instantly the receiver lit up with DTS HD Master.

Now I have no picture though on the Blu-Ray.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom