1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Surround on Sky?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by PeterL, May 18, 2002.

1. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've just bought an AV amplifier, 5.1 speaker set and DVD player.

I know only users of Sky+ digiboxes can get Dolby Digital 5.1, but I was wondering if any programmes are broadcast with Dolby Surround on the Sky Digital platform via the standard digibox and if so, where I can find the broadcast information?

Thanks for your help,
    PeterL

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I not aware of any source of information on the presence of surround(ProLogic) soundtracks for SKY's non film channels.
    Digiguide and the various magazine I read don't bother tagging shows in this way.
    Films on SKY's movie channels will be indicated buy a "D" on the EPG if they have surround sound but on the normal channels I don't recall having seen the "D" flag used, neither is there a "stereo" flag probably because it has become a standard feature on UK TV.
    Even so the vast majority of US shows have surround (ProLogic) soundtracks and in recent years surround has become more or less the default format for UK productions.
    Since the surround data is inbedded in the normal stereo signal it will get broadcast, SKY or any other broadcaster does has have to do anything so if the show was made with surround then that's what you will get if you are using the digiboxes stereo output to feed the amp.